Character Development: Magus Vorsutus of Flambeau (Player: Vortigern)

Eadric

House Ex Miscellanea (Duidsan Variant)
Major Supernatural: Hex
Minor Hermetic: Leadworker
Major Hermetic Flaw: Necessary Condition (Runes/Glyphs)

V: The Gift (F), Hermetic Magus (F), Hex (H), Leadworker (H), Affinity: Hex (1), Cautious: Hex (1), Major Magical Focus: Human Health (3), Potent Sorcery: Human Health (3), Puissant: Hex (1), Skilled Parens (1)

F: Necessary Condition: Runes/Glyphs (H), Blatant Gift (3), Hatred: Mundane Society (1), Hermetic Patron: Ordo Hiberniae/Hibernian Faction (1), Infamous: Mundane/Vindictive Curser (1), Uncertain Faith (1), Wrathful (3)

Damhadh-Duidsan

There are two descriptions of this magical tradition. The first in with the Ex Miscellanea traditions (Societates, pg 108), the second in with the Infernal traditions (RoP: I, pg 137)

The overall flavor of this tradition should be much the same (fulfilled even) by the changes/assumptions discussed here for Eadric. He is a native Norse Ostman from Wexford, and then trained as a Duidsan.
So I think he has blended the Gaelic Duidsan as his core tradition but with some Norse syncretism and influences/runes etc. So a Gaelic/Norse blend ... which is very Irish.

The Duidsan are described as rather overtly and capably aggressive wizards.

When Pralix led her crusade into the British Isles to crush Damhan-Allaidh (The Spider), she was joined by a Gaelic hedge wizard named Damhadh-Duidas (Malice Writer) who came from somewhere in the British Isles and descended from the same magical tradition as Damhan-Allaidh. By carving strange runes into trees and stones, or writing these symbols on his face and arms with chalk or ashes, he could curse and steal the life from his enemies, healing himself and inflicting terrible wounds upon them in turn.

The general tone of this is what I'm aiming for just shifting the emphasis to Hex as a Supernatural Ability, and in particular to using the mechanics (reskinned as Gaelic/Norse) of Leadworker to represent competence at doing so at a distance/from afar.

Hex can be found in the Muspelli writeup (Rival Magic, pg 95) and in RoP: I (pg 92).

The description is a bit sparse, but the impression I'm left with is a generally flexible and potent style of offensive "bad mojo" but that tends to take effect more slowly. Due to the sparsity of examples however I'm left curious how people would feel about drawing examples from say the Folk Witch Cursing ability (Hedge Magic, pg 37) in addition to those few found in the Hex description. I note that Folk Witch cursing takes a season, whereas Hexing doesn't, but also takes effect immediately without penalty... so the two are not perfectly equivalent Supernatural Abilities. Also Folk Witch Cursing can only operate at Arcane Connection range or via Potion.

I note there are three general ways to deliver a Hex: Eye contact, marking the target, or Arcane Connection.

Thinking of how HoH:S p.104 describes the design of Major Supernatural Virtues, I'd say Hex and Cursing are quite different.

Hex seems to use R:Touch/Eye (equating holding an AC to touching for design purposes), D:Momentary, T:Individual (with a special condition When to delay things for a while and allow the curse to build up strength) to inflict mostly PeCo effects, the guideline being open.

Cursing is a bit more free-form. Range is also Touch (the potion touches the person, the Witch holding the AC equates to touching the target for design purposes) and T:Individual, but the Duration is either Momentary or Special (closest would be While?), depending on the effect. And the guidelines are all over the place (CrMe, MuCo, MuCo(An), PeCo)... At the same time, the list of curses is quite limited (which is the reason I personally don't like Cursing very much =/).

If the matter is to get clarity on what can be done with Hex, the books say that an Hex has an equivalent level to 10x the number of botch the effect approximates, so how about using that for a general feeling? A 1 botch hex can reproduce a lvl 10 (or less) Touch PeCo spell, a 3 botch hex can reproduce a lvl 25~30 Touch PeCo, and so on...? There's a bit of mismatch with the guideline for killing someone (a Touch spell to kill would be lvl 35 for PeCo, but 45~50 with a hex), but except for that everything else seems to match well enough.

Thoughts?

I think this part about the approximate power levels of Hexes at different levels of intensity/severity is appropriate and correct. I think this is an excellent baseline for the general power level of what could be done at different tiers of effect.

Generally I think you are correct re: Touch/Eye vs AC range for Hexing. The duration for Hexing seems ... basically unstated, frustratingly enough. If we take an example of say the Tier 3 effect for inflicting a "Debilitating Illness" we have zero indication as to how long this effect would last.

The only thing that seems descriptive of a duration is (one might infer imperfectly) the extrapolation for Utiseta purposes that Hex is Momentary as a baseline. Yet this seems incongruent with a magical effect that sits on someone for long periods before discharging and potentially having long lasting effects like the example debilitating disease. Momentary as an exclusive/default duration would leave little reason to try to dispel a Hex via religiosity or PeVi magic, yet we have guidance on that.

I also don't think that it is exclusively or even generally PeCo in effect, as intended. Most of the examples are that, for certain, but take the first one being "Automatic failure at an important task", and the general measurement of tiers of effect being in terms of equivalent botch dice/levels and I think there is a clear intent for a ill-fortune / manipulation of probability & chance element here among potentially other things. But the two things we have concrete examples of are PeCo and ill-fortune.

Which ... this vagueness was exactly why I thought it would be good to discuss in that simply put I don't think we have definitely and clear textual answers here.

That said, since it is my PC ... I'm certainly biased here and I will let the rest of the troupe and Nithyn as BSG have the last words.

Humm... I assumed once the Hex was cast it went on it's course as normal (hexing someone with a disease would be magical while the curse doesn't trigger, but afterwards it would proceed as a natural disease). But indeed, this is not necessarily the case.

Same thing as striking someone blind, for example. I assumed it would work just as the Level 20 PeCo Baseline (heals as a major wound), but this also needs not be the case. It could be seen as giving a flaw.

Maybe we need a distinction to striking someone blind as in PeCo base 20 and as in granting a minor flaw? Turning to malediction from RoP:I, it inflicts heavy wounds at base 10 (including destroying senses), but gives minor flaws at base 15, and major at 35. Don't know if it helps, if we try to scale this, major flaws would likely be impossible for Hex (but maybe we don't want Hex to be as effective as Maleficia?).

Not exclusivelly, mostly. But it also has a few that seem more like PeMe, or indeed luck manipulation. Which brings another question, for MR it's treated as a Vim effect? Or that would depend on the actual effect?

Affinity, Cautious, Puissant: Hex

Eadric has fully embraced and devoted much of Apprenticeship to the study of the darker magics of the Damhadh-Duidsan tradition. He has absolutely excelled here, though arguably at the expense of more Hermetic prowess.

Major Magical Focus, Potent Sorcery: Human Health

These are intended to cover the same general areas as "Magical Foci" for both Hermetic Magic and Hedge Magic respectively. I see this focus as covering both the positive and negative aspects of Human Health as a concept.

Human Health for these purposes I'd define as the general health, well being, and general fitness of human beings.

Human Health I see as covering (direct) healing/wounding/killing, wound and disease recovery rolls, curing or causing disease, causing or mitigating aging (artificial aging, undoing artificial aging, longevity rituals), and direct improvement or impairment of attributes.

In theory this could also be applied to "Mental Healing" or "Mental Damage" of the sort described in Tales of Mythic Europe (pg 118), though I'd grant that is about as far I could see stretching the focus into Mentem (and that, I will grant, is stretching a bit).

I don't think it would cover any sort of transformation, divination/intellego (maybe if it related to getting information about health explicitly), or control/manipulation/movement of the human body or mind. Nor the creation of human body materials or bodies themselves, bones etc. Nor in mentem the creation of memories or feelings or their destruction.

I would contrast this with a somewhat comparable Major Focus of Healing. Healing could affect any sort of Target with a suitably beneficial effect, whether of the Form of Corpus, Mentem, Animal, or Herbam. In theory any Form. Human Health is more specifically applicable only to Human Targets, but includes a more broad (positive and negative) manipulation of the health and well being of Humans in general.

The magical focus on Human Health I see as applying to any suitable Hermetic Magic but not to Hex, and the Potent Sorcery to any suitable Hex or potentially any additional Supernatural Ability that Eadric might learn.

Skilled Parens

Eadric's pater is named Eldgrimr and is a Damhad-Duidsan Archmagus who is a member of Circulus Ruber in Hibernia. They are of the direct magical lineage of Damhadh-Duidas and his Eldgrimr exemplifies that darker and more aggressive mystical bent, being a truly terrifying master of both Hex and other sorts of similar magics designed Hermetically.

Eldgrimr was/is a harsh master who used unpleasant magic/curses as a teaching tool directly on Eadric, yet was taught in much the same way himself and none the less appears to care deeply for his filus. Yet he always has high expectations and little patience for failure. Eadric knows for a fact that Eldgrimr has a permanent Kolossoi (or equivalent) of him that he has retained in a secure place.

Eadric likewise has complex feelings about his pater mixing admiration, loyalty, even devotion ... with fear, anger, and resentment. Much as Eldgrimr seems to feel about his own pater who has long ago passed into Twilight.

Blatant Gift, Hatred: Mundane Society, Infamous

Eadric was born with the Blatant Gift to the family of a shipwright in Wexford. His Blatant Gift greatly disturbed and troubled his parents and relatives, being active from the moment of his birth. His father died while he was an infant, drowning near the docks of the city due to having fallen into heavy drinking over the whole affair. Soon after the age of six he was abandoned on the streets and grew up there, among other street/feral children, until being found and taken as an Apprentice by Eldgrimr at approximately ten years of age. These experiences have greatly shaped his perceptions of the mundane world (they are all dangerous barbarians who burn wizards and abandon children), and correspondingly he approaches the mundane world as if it is a constant threat that needs deterred and controlled with force. In his case that tends to mean Hexes at least, and not infrequently more.

Uncertain Faith

While not afraid to dissemble (thus not bearing the actual Pagan flaw) and conceal himself Eadric's training by Eldgrimr was steeped in a mixed syncretic blend of Gaelic and Norse divinities. He knows that the Divine Realm exists yet resents it more than anything else, and certainly doesn't have the faith to personally try to draw any sort of spiritual strength from it. He is pagan but practical, as it were.

Wrathful

Eadric seems to have inherited Eldgrimr's temper and penchant for holding long grudges against those whom he feels have earned his revenge. He doesn't often lose his temper publicly, he dislikes losing control though it has happened more than once, yet he takes offence easily and will frequently enact what others might perceive as disproportionate retribution/revenge.

Hermetic Patron: Hibernian Faction/Ordo Hiberniae

As a son of Circulus Ruber and Archmagus Eldgrimr Eadric has great things expected of him in these days of brewing Hermetic conflict. His pater is seen as a key supporter of the Hibernians and Eadric has publicly voiced his support as well. Being taken then as one of the cause and one of a more bellicose sort of magic as to actually engage in the conflict like the forebears of his lineage, the Hibernian faction broadly has adopted the image of him as one at the forefront of the cause. This sometimes manifests itself as direct support yet also can frequently come as an appeal for aid and involvement in the conflict somewhere in Hibernia or beyond.

Early Childhood (45/45xp)

Native Language: Norse: 5 (75xp)(F)

Gaelic: 1 (5xp)

Area Lore: Hibernia Tribunal: 1 (5xp)
Awareness: 1 (5xp)
Brawl: 1 (5xp)
Folk Ken: 1 (5xp)
Guile: 1 (5xp)
Stealth: 1 (5xp)
Survival: 1 (5xp)
Swim: 1 (5xp)

Eadric was born to a Norse Ostman family in the port city of Wexford. His father, Snori, was a skilled shipwright and man of some means. Eadric seemed primed for a life of similar prosperity until his birth. His Blatant Gift, active from the very moment he was born, so alienated him from his father that it drove the man to drink. Some time later the man died in an accident on the docks, perhaps related to the drink yet who could say for certain? Rumors abounded that it all related back to the cursed child. This changed the fortunes of his life dramatically. His mother had difficulty remarrying with the presence of a child that so discomforted anyone and everyone in their presence, including herself. He grew up barely tolerated, frequently beaten, fighting other children in the streets, and growing wise all too soon to the ways of people and the threats they could represent. Even as a young child the aura of his Blatant Gift attracted hostility from people and instinctively he wished ill on them in turn. In time his Gift bent to his will and he manifested the powers of Hexing in some of his earliest memories.

Eadric did not bond well with others during this time as they had such trouble bonding with him and in fact even treating him very humanely. He has correspondingly had very few close bonds even from his earliest years and this colors his perceptions and social stances on things in deep ways.

Later Life (10 years)(150/150xp)

Gaelic: 4 (+45xp)(50xp)

Bargain: 1 (5xp)
Charm: 1 (5xp)
Concentration: 3 (30xp)
Etiquette: 1 (5xp)
Hex: 5 (F+(50/75xp))(80xp)(Modified by Affinity)
Intrigue: 1 (5xp)
Leadership: 1 (5xp)

Young Eadric was eventually turned out onto the streets by his mother, desperate to find a new husband and to forget the incredibly fey and otherworldly child she believed had driven her husband to his death. Eadric put up no resistance and did not seem surprised. Little else had he come to expect from the world, despite his age. Taking to the streets with the other abandoned children he slowly earned a place amongst them. This was a matter of pure determination, guile, and the increasingly severe mishaps and ailments that befell those who crossed or harmed him. Soon he was an accepted, even feared, figure among the street children of the city.

His ability to wish ill on others grew stronger over time, the more he exercised the ability the more comfortable and potent it grew. Eventually more than simply the other street children feared him, and he began to extort food and pocket money from several of the merchants and artisans of the city on pain of facing his power. The Witch-Boy of the slums began to be a known figure throughout the city. A reputation that has only lingered and grown for Eadric, among mundanes, throughout the rest of his life. He doesn't appear to mind in the slightest.

Yet he was young and his world was still as small as the port city of Wexford. Yet it was a port, humming with trade and the movements of people coming and going from well beyond the city itself. From other abandoned children and from being immersed in the exchanges of the city itself he became fluent in Gaelic, the language spoken by most of the Irish who used the port controlled by the Ostmen.

Eventually word of the particular nature of his Gift, and abilities, drew the attention of Eldgrimr. The ancient Archmagus came to see for himself and seemed if anything amused when Eadric attempted to drive him away with his curses. Eadric then was taken quite against his will as an Apprentice after this. Yet it was only a matter of weeks under the harsh tutelage of Eldgrimr before Eadric learned both that resistance/escape were futile, and that Eldgrimr was serious about teaching him real magic. Magic beyond what he could already do. And the punishments for disobedience were more severe than anything he was capable of himself. Eadric decided to eagerly embraced his Apprenticeship, at least all it gave him the opportunity to learn. Eldgrimr he remained reluctant to trust.

Apprenticeship (300/300xp)

Abilities: (145xp)

Latin: 4 (50xp)

Magic Theory: 3 (30xp)

Parma Magica : 1 (5xp)
Finesse: 1 (5xp)
Penetration: 1 (5xp)

Code of Hermes: 1 (5xp)
Order of Hermes Lore: 1 (5xp)
Duidsan Lore: 1 (5xp)
Cult of Mercury Lore: 1 (5xp)

Artes Liberales: 3 (30xp)
Philosophiae: 1 (5xp)

Arts: (155xp)

Rego: 5 (15xp)
Perdo: 10 (55xp)

Animal: 5 (15xp)
Corpus: 10 (55xp)
Vim: 5 (15xp)

Spell Mastery: Word of Withering: 1 (5xp)(Multi-Casting)

Eadric faced a long and grueling apprenticeship with Eldgrimr. The man was not purposefully frustrating or abusive as perhaps a Tytalus might be, yet his demands were high and failure or deviation always harshly punished. Yet these demands also forced Eadric to learn, deeply, the more complex nature and scope both of his natural abilities and of a much broader system of magic of which he had possessed no notion before. And yet as much as he might strive the more success he displayed the higher the demands of the Archmagus became. And the punishments were in no uncertain terms tortuous examples of the fell power of a Duidsan. Yet for all the severity of the methods Eldgrimr also obviously showed fondness for the boy, and was genuinely teaching him the same sort of magic. He spoke plainly and clearly about how he had been taught much the same, and how he believed it was both necessary for discipline and that it gave one complete clarity and understanding about what such magic could, and could not, really do on a personal level. Knowledge nearly impossible to truly obtain any other way.

Eadric feared and resented such punishments, or instruction, in either case. With good cause. And yet he came to respect, even grow fond of, his Pater despite such fears and resentments. No one else in his life had ever given him such personal attention and regard. Few had given him anything at all without coercion or threats before his apprenticeship had begun. His time with Eldgrimr marked a transition both into having a genuine and real father figure in his life as well as entering into the broader magical society of the Order of Hermes. These, similarly for the first time, were other people who did not recoil from the impact of his Gift and treat him with fear and aggression. To Eadric these experiences were deeply shaping, indeed transformative, regarding his perceptions of both the Order and the outside world. Mundane Society had left him to starve in the streets and he had only even stayed alive with aggressive effort. The Order literally gave him a home, education, and fellowship. Increasingly he identified with the latter and disdained, even loathed, the former.

Years passed and Eadric, even from the beginning of his apprenticeship due to his relatively advanced age for an apprentice, accompanied Eldgrimr throughout the Tribunal and occasionally beyond. Cad Gadu was visited several times. Other sites in Stonehenge and Loch Leglean in particular. Yet the majority of his apprenticeship was spent in Hibernia, for Eldgrimr had a growing resentment of the Continental Magi and their presumption to "Reform" the Tribunal to their own ways. The Archmagus displayed his displeasure directly on more than one such Magus when opportunities presented themselves. During this time Eadric came to be just as associated with "The Cause" as his Pater, something which seemed perfectly natural to him.

In this time Eadric grew in confidence and determination, developing his skills and mastery along traditional Duidsan lines. He fully embraced the traditional malign magic of his Tradition along with more hermetic abilities spun from the same cloth. His ability to inflict bodily harm on others as a newly gauntleted magus earned him some respect amongst his fellow Hibernians. A skill put to not infrequent use on offensive (to the eye of Eadric) mundanes, as much as his Hexing ability, which if anything only further amplified the fear of him that circulated in mundane circles.

On his Macgnimartha he chose to revisit Wexford, first. There he encountered a completely changed home, occupied by the English, with his erstwhile people living at best in total subjugation. He did not seek his mother or kin out, though the thought was tempting. What would he even say? Or do? Perhaps another time. Instead he amused himself by briefly taking control of the slums much as he had done as a child. Some, few, of the street children from his time there were still alive and remembered him. A few tough worthies, eager to leave the now fallen Wexford, he took into his service there. Avoiding direct conflict with the English was annoying, chafing even, yet he left Wexford after only a couple of months to leave behind such problems.

Next he traveled to Connacht, where he sought to forge relations with the Druids in his own name. There his Blatant Gift ensured, as ever, he got a cool reception. Yet he was persistent and some there knew enough of the Order and the Gift to desire even such an off-putting friend as he. Eventually he found his way to a few completely non-Hermetic Duidsan where he made every effort to build good rapport. He traded magic with them, his own abilities used on their behalf, for instruction. This small group of Druids, and their unintegrated Duidsan magic, is one he hopes to partake more fully of in the future.

The culmination of his time on his own he spent traveling throughout the Tribunal itself. Numerous small adventures were had, wherein Eadric engaged eagerly and aggressively when circumstances favored. And had no compunctions about retreating and avoiding trouble when they did not. During this time Eadric engaged in numerous small skirmishes which he was able to turn decisively with his magic. The combination of various tactics, curses, and direct wounding earned him a budding reputation as a master of malign magics.

Reputations:

Master of Malign Magics (Hermetic): 1 (5xp) (Positive)
Vindictive Master of Curses (Local/Mundane): 4 (50xp) (Negative)

Spells (150/150)

Word of Withering - PeCo 30 - CT: +31 (+1 Pen)

Word of Withering
PeCo 30
R: Voice, D: Mom, T: Part

This effect inflicts a Heavy Wound on the target. Eadric's version of this spell causes the wounds due to an instant necrotic rotting and shriveling of the affected area/body parts. Part both allows the spell to effect larger targets (creating a wound up to the size of a base individual), and allows the caster to select the location of the wound.
(Base: 15, +2 Voice, +1 Part)
Spell Mastery: 1 (5xp)(Multi-Casting)

Solar Alignment Of Forces - ReVi 15 - CT: +10 (+1 Pen)

Solar Alignment Of Forces
ReVi 15
R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Ind

As Maintain The Demanding Spell, ArM5 pg 162, adjusted to Sun duration. Sustains an effect up to level -5.
(Gen: +1 Touch, +2 Sun)

Opening The Intangible Tunnel - ReVi 10 - CT: +10 (+1 Pen)

Opening The Intangible Tunnel
ReVi 10
R: Arc, D: Conc, T: Ind

As ArM5 pg 162.
(Gen: +4 Arc, +1 Concentration)

Veil of Invisibility - PeIm 10 - CT: +10 (+1 Pen)

Veil of Invisibility (Mod.)
PeIm 10
R: Per, D: Conc, T: Ind.

The target becomes completely undetectable to normal sight, regardless of what he does, but still casts a shadow.
(Base 4, +1 Concentration, +1 changing image)

Divine The Origin Of The Body - InCo 10 - CT: +10 (+1 Pen)

Divine The Origin Of The Body
InCo 10
R: Touch, D: Mom, T: Ind.

Provides the information necessary to conduct a natal horoscope on the target.
(Base 5, +1 Touch)

Divine The Origin Of The Beast - InAn 10 - CT: +5 (+1 Pen)

Divine The Origin Of The Beast
InAn 10
R: Touch, D: Mom, T: Ind

Provides the information necessary to conduct a natal horoscope on the target.
(Base 5, +1 Touch)

Self-Ward Against Mystic Creatures - ReVi 10 - CT: +10 (+1 Pen)

Self-Ward Against Mystic Creatures
ReVi 10
R: Personal, D: Conc., T: Ind.

Wards the caster against Magic Realm creatures of Might up to Level + 10.
(Gen, +1 Concentration)

Self-Ward Against Faerie Creatures - ReVi 10 - CT: +10 (+1 Pen)

Self-Ward Against Faerie Creatures
ReVi 10
R: Personal, D: Conc., T: Ind.

Wards the caster against Faerie Realm creatures of Might up to Level + 10.
(Gen, +1 Concentration)

Self-Ward Against Mundane Beasts - ReAn 5 - CT: +10 (+1 Pen)

Self-Ward Against Mundane Beasts
ReAn 5
R: Touch, D: Conc., T: Ind.

Ward the target against attacks from mundane animals. With +1 Size modifier this effect can protect the target from an animal of up to Size +4.
(Base 2, +1 Touch, +1 Concentration, +1 Size)

Bind Wound - CrCo 5 - CT: +10 (+1 Pen)

Bind Wound (Mod.)
CrCo 5
R: Touch, D: Conc, T: Ind.

As per ArM5 pg 129.
(Base 3, +1 Touch, +1 Concentration)

The Patient Spell - ReVi 5 - CT: +10 (+1 Pen)

The Patient Spell
ReVi 5
R: Touch, D: Conc, T: Ind

Spell Container (MoH, pg 113). May contain up to Level + 15 in levels of spells.
(General: +1 Touch, +1 Concentration)

To Draw A Sanguine Breath - PeCo 10 - CT: +30 (+1 Pen)

To Draw A Sanguine Breath
PeCo 10
R: Voice, D: Conc, T: Ind

Enflames and agitates the throat of the target, causing severe coughing that produces flecks of blood (cosmetic) for the duration. Spellcasters who are coughing must make Int + Concentration stress rolls of 12+ to maintain Concentration or engage in spellcasting. Other activities receive a -3 penalty for the duration of the coughing.
(Base 3, +2 Voice, +1 Concentration)

Ethereal Ministrations - PeCo 10 - CT: +30 (+1 Pen)

Ethereal Ministrations
PeCo 10

Inflicts the pain of a Light Wound for the duration. The caster can specify the location of the pain.
(Base 4, +1 Touch, +1 Concentration)

The Phantom Gift - CrVi 10 - CT: +5 (+1 Pen)

The Phantom Gift (Mod.)
CrVi 10

As The Phantom Gift, ArM5 pg 157, reduced to Touch and Concentration. Amplified to produce the effects of the Blatant Gift.
(Base 3, +1 Touch, +1 Concentration, +1 Amplified Effects)

Ward the caster against attacks from mundane animals. Part allows the ward to be effective as long as the Part of the beast that is attempting to attack the caster is smaller than the Individual it can affect. With +1 Size modifier this Individual is an animal of up to Size +2.

Uh, Part would be warding only part of you (you are the Target), but you labeled it Individual rather than Part. Meanwhile, that portion of you that is protected can be enormous due to +1 size.

Edit: From the look of it, you're just trying to handle any Size mundane animal, right? Just drop Part and +size, and you're all set.

I'm not sure I agree re: the application of Part as a Target. Regardless ... I'm not going to press the matter since it is my own spell in question here.

Reading about Size briefly has netted an interesting citation relevant to the matter.

Which since factors of ten is what spells go up and down by this seems quite relevant as a baseline.

Animal has a Base Individual of a creature of up to Size +1.

Which means I was over conservative with the single Size bump I included previously, and that one size bump in spell magnitude should raise the maximum Size of creature from +1 to +4.

Which looking at the Size chart in RoP: F on pg 49, that seems fairly accurate in that a +1 Creature is estimated at between 215 lbs and 465 lbs, and could be a large human to a pony. Contrasted with a Size 4 creature being between 2150 lbs and 4600 lbs and the example being an elephant.

This principle also seems consistent with how this would be applied with the examples in Corpus. A base individual of Size +1, a size bump being described as taking the maximum size of the creature to 15 ft high in the inset re: Targets & Size on ArM5 pg 113, and this correlates with the Size chart in RoP: M pg 84, being a 3 point increase in Size from a +1 creature to one of 15 ft in height in the band for Size +4.

I don't really see a need to bump up to Size 7 with protections vs. mundane creatures. :wink:

If I am wrong and I do indeed get directly attacked by a whale at some point ... well. I am not sure what I'd have to say at that point. :sweat_smile:

To that and I think a redesign of this effect as follows seems apt.

Self-Ward Against Mundane Beasts
ReAn 5
R: Touch, D: Conc., T: Ind.

Ward the target against attacks from mundane animals. With +1 Size modifier this effect can protect the target from an animal of up to Size +4.
(Base 2, +1 Touch, +1 Concentration, +1 Size)

Was Callen suggesting dropping both Part and the +1 size?

You are the Target, your size is 0 (the target is the warded thing, not the things warded against). Won't the ward work against any mundane animal, regardless of size?

But a +1 would be needed to ward, for example, a horse against animal attacks (since the horse is larger than a base individual of it's form?).

You are making me want to go reread all the things now to be 100% sure.

My assumption in my original design was that the ward would still be limited to affecting creatures inside the scope of the Base Individual of Animal as a Form, without a size increase in the spell parameters. I added a size increase and also an increase to Part so that the Size limitation would apply only to the portion of an animal that was actually trying to harm the warded person.

You (Rafael) appear to think no such limitations would apply to a Ward.

Whereas Callen did seem to think this (that size matters, ahem), but that manipulation of the Target parameter wasn't doable.

I'll be going back and revising/adding to my background sections and I'll post again when I consider them relatively final.

He and I are saying the same thing.

Rego spells can create wards which pro- tect the target from things of the appropriate Form. These use the normal targets, but the target is the thing protected, rather than the things warded against, and the range is the range to the target, not to the things warded against.

So this is obviously (trivially) true re: the target the spell is cast on for wards (or indeed some other types of effects as well I'd imagine). It doesn't however seem like it should therefore bypass the Base Individual of the Form and its restrictions as to how much of what the Form can effect. That said ... if both of you agree here I don't think I am going to keep arguing to make my own spell harder for very long.

I've been thinking of totally shifting gears here and tinkering with a Flambeau concept, trained in Lombaird. Thoughts/feedback appreciated.

V: The Gift (F), Hermetic Magus (F), Life Boost (H), Boosted Magic (1), Cautious: Concentration (1), Independent Study (1), Imbued with the Spirit of Corpus (1), Major Magical Focus: Human Health (3), Puissant: Parma Magica (1), Puissant: Penetration (1), Skilled Parens (1)

F: Blatant Gift (3), Hatred: Mundane Society (1), Hermetic Patron: Ordo Hiberniae/Hibernian Faction (1), Infamous: Mundane/Vindictive Curser (1), Uncertain Faith (1), Wrathful (3)