Character development

The XP seems to add up

Sure, but if he's ok with his character as it is, why would he want to absolutely burden himself with another flaw? Not every character is supposed to have 10 v/f :wink:

I agree no problem with it , but I thought I would mention is as the only area I could see which may want changing

To be honest - i cant see another virtue that I want, so I dont see the point of trying to grab another flaw for a virtuer I'm not that fussed about :slight_smile:

I'll see if I can finish off the character tomorrow now, as I have to clean the flat before we move - I may be off line for a week or so after tuesday as I'm moving house...

Laters

Kal

Hi,

Just got an ok from Mad MAx to join in and start cooking a character, so I thought I'd say hi. I have about a half-dozen ideas bouncing around, and figured I could winnow them down by checking in, and asking if there are any character types or capacities the covenant needs?

FMB

If you have a Jerbiton idea I think it would work out well for the covenant. We have a lot of characters that can not interact well with people in town(s).

Otherwise, play something interesting. At this point people are still feeling along with their characters and the Covenant.

Awesome :smiley:

Welcome aboard FMB.

Hi,

So, here's what I've got so far gang, let me know what your think.

Nestor ex Trianoma (Bonisagus)

Characteristics: Int +2, Per +1, Com +0, Pre +0, Str +0, Sta +2, Dex +0, Quik +0

Size: 0

Decrepitude: 0

Warping: 0 (0)

[b]Confidence: 1 (3)

Virtues: Gifted Hermetic Magus (Magi, Free), Puissant Intrigue (House, Free), Puissant Parma Magica (General, Minor), Puissant Penetration (General, Minor), Warrior (General, Minor), Enduring Constitution (General, Minor), Puissant Rego (Hermetic, Minor), Gentle Gift (Hermetic, Major), Special Circumstances: Dominion (Hermetic, Minor), Affinity with Rego (Hermetic, Minor)

Flaws: Deficient Technique: Muto (Hermetic, Major), Clumsy Magic (Hermetic, Minor), Enemies: Elder Magi (Story, Major), Deleterious Circumstances: Running Water (Minor, Hermetic), Infamous Master: Meddling Questitor (Minor, Hermetic), Driven: A Reckoning (Personality, Minor),

Personality Traits: Stubborn +3, Cynic +2, Inappropriately Chivalrous +3,

Reputations: Infamous Master 3 (Hermetic)

Combat:
Initiative, Longsword +2
Defence, Longsword: +6
Attack, Longsword: +9

Initiative, Knife +0
Defence, Knife +3
Attack, Knife +3

Initiative, Brawl: +0
Attack / Defence Brawl +2

Soak: +2

Fatigue: OK, 0, 0, -2, -4, ko

Wound Penalties: -1 Lt (1-5), -3 Med (6-10), -5 Hvy (11-15), Incap (16-20), Dead (21+)

Abilities: Artes Liberales (ceremonial magic): 2, Athletics (running): 2, Awareness (being watched): 2, Brawl (knife): 2, Burgundian (creative cursing): 5, Charm (redheads): 2, Code of Hermes (loopholes): 2, Concentration (Maintain Spells): 2, Finesse (aiming): 1, Folk Ken (no good bastards): 2, Guile (getting out of trouble): 2, Intrigue (conspiracies): 2+2, Magic Theory: 4, Parma Magica (Mentem): 1+2, Penetration (Rego): 1+2, Ride (Battle): 2, Single Weapon (longsword): 4, Speak Latin: 4, Survival (emergencies): 2, Swim (distance): 2,

Arts: Cr: 5, In: 6, Mu:0 , Pe: 0, Re: 8+3, An: 0, Aq: 0, Au 0, Co: 3, He: 0, Ig: , Im: 5, Me: 5, Te: 6, Vi: 2

Twilight Scars & Effects: none

Magic Sigil: reluctance

Symbolic Sigil: Open palm, in black

Equipment: longsword, knife x2, worn leather boots, soft robes, warm thick cloak,

Laboratory:

Encumbrance:

Spells Known:

Wizards Sidestep: ReIm10 Per / Sun / Ind
Aura of Inconsequence ReMe25 Touch / Sun / Spec.
Crest of the Earth Wave ReTe20 Voice / Mom. / Part.
Ring of Warding Against Spirits ReMe20 Touch / Ring / Circle
Ear for Distant Voices ReIm20 Arc. / Conc. / Room
The Inexorable Search Inco20 Arc. / Conc. / Ind.

New Spells: N / A

Background:

Nestor is the product of Order politics gone wrong. Apprenticed to a Guernican Quaestitor, his life was torn asunder when his master was killed in a Wizard’s War. Although both dedicated and honest, his master lacked allies within his tribunal. Having crossed one too many politically powerful magi, he found himself isolated and hunted down by magi whose violations of the Code of Hermes were exceeded only by their political clout in the tribunal.

Nestor was born in Burgundy, a younger son of a minor merchant family. A glib and sociable child, he was placed in the care of a local monastery. Although he was not expected to become a monk, it was hoped the education he received would secure him a position as a clerk later in life. Nestor took to the monks’ teaching with enthusiasm, and was an able student. His life, unremarkable to this point, took a sudden turn when he was twelve, when a visiting copyist somehow convinced both the monks and Nestor’s family to allow him to adopt the young student as his apprentice.

The copyist, of course, was Nestor’s pater. Recognizing in the young boy a subtle, but potent gift, he had used his magic to secure the child as his filius. Nestor took to his new life even more than his old, drinking in all that his pater could teach. He absorbed more than knowledge; he also absorbed his master’s value and vision of the Order. For the young apprentice, the Order of Hermes was a society in which law served justice, the Code served law, and the Quaestitors served the Code.

This made his master’s betrayal and destruction particularly traumatic for Nestor, as well as dangerous. As an apprentice, Nestor might easily have disappeared alongside his pater. Instead, he was taken in by a member of the Trianoma lineage of house Bonisagus. His new master used her prerogative to adopt the apprentice before he could be eliminated. Although formally a member of house Bonisagus, the bulk of Nestor’s training was as a Quaestitor, and he embodies the characteristics of that House. Nestor has been deeply scarred by his experience as an apprentice, and in consequence, is deeply cynical about both the legitimacy and politics of the Order.

He has reason to be. As witness both to the validity of his master’s complaints, and the process which resulted in his master’s demise, Nestor represents a real threat to a number of old, powerful, and politically influential magi within the Order. Attempts on his life have already been made, and Nestor has begun to develop a reputation as an irritation that simply will not die. If he manages to continue this trend, he may yet have a chance to realize a secret vision.

Despite his evident cynicism, Nestor harbours a deep-seated desire to both avenge his master, and redeem the traditions he was taught. His recognizes that this will take time, and intends to proceed carefully, reclaiming his Quaestitorial status, moving against his master’s enemies, and eventually, revitalizing the original legal traditions of the Order. While to any casual acquaintance, he appears to be dismissive of issues of rank, prestige, and legitimacy, within the Order, in his heart of hearts, he desires the return of the ideal vision his master passed on to him.

Nestor sees himself as a Quaestitor and hoplite in training. His master instilled in him a willingness to back ideals with action, and he has placed himself in harm’s way more than once to defend those unable to defend themselves. He has difficulty with targeting spells, however, so relies on grosser arcane effects and his blade in combat. His experience within the Order, however, has taught him the value of discretion. He prefers to operate quietly, when possible, attracting as little attention as possible.

Nestor has a weakness for women, particularly redheads. In fact, he has a weakness for women in general. In point of fact, it tends to get him in trouble, in that despite the fact that he knows better, he has trouble acting violently towards women, even when they pose an evident threat. This has gotten him in trouble more than once, though as yet, not more than he can handle. Whether it will prove to be his undoing in the future remains to be seen.

I like it. He will be a good pal for Roberto.

Max will probably give you 1 more year of experience to make you even with us. You can plan on it but I would wait for Max to confirm it.

May prove interesting

No big deal, and I will go with the majority. But I would prefer if he started fresh like the rest of us did. We have not gained 30xp in the last year. Closer to 15-20. Still, not a big deal or a deal breaker by any means. Max's call.

And he does indeed look like he would be a good pal for Roberto. In fact, I was thinking we could introduce this character in the "Sangria in Toledo" thread and have him come back up to Novus Mane with us.

Hi,

Second option below - I ran this for the Iron Magus game, but it died aborning, so I thought I'd throw him out again. Brownie points to those who pick up on the inspiration. I'd love to get this guy going in a game:

Harald (of Dresden) ex Tytalus

Harald's mother, who was both gifted and an exile from the Order, died giving birth to him. He was raised by his father, a travelling magician, until he was seven, and toured with him throughout the eastern HRE. Harald's father died when he was seven, leaving the young boy to scratch a living among troupes of travelling entertainers, using whatever skills he managed to pick up. The young boy was discovered by Justin, a Tytalus Magi, at the age of 12. Recognising the boy's Gift, Justin took Harald as his apprentice.

While Justin was a capable teacher, he was exceedingly cruel. Under his tutelage, Harald showed an affinity with Creo, a remarkable talent for sympathetic magic, and developed a considerable tolerance for pain. Harald lacks, however, the necessary degree of fine control for most of his spells, despite Justin's best efforts to instil it in him.

As Harald's apprenticeship proceeded, it became increasingly clear that Justin was not only cruel, he was also delving into areas of magic that were questionable, at best. Consorting with a range of dark and eldritch powers, Justin displayed a growing disdain for the restrictions imposed by the Code and the order. Under suspicion from the Questitores, Justin sought sufficient power to overcome his enemies, and prepared to sacrifice Harald to a demonic prince in exchange for more arcane power.

Harald should have died. Instead, at the moment of crisis, a being of seductive beauty appeared to the young man. She identified herself as his faerie godmother, and told him his mother had bargained for her protection long ago. She now intervened to offer Harald a new bargain: enough power to overcome Justin and escape, in exchange for Harry himself, as a servent to her in Arcadia. Desperate, and with no other option, Harald agreed.

The details of the confrontation between Harald and Justin are only vague to Harald now. He remembers finally consuming Justin in a pyre of flame, and somehow escaping both his former master, and the Leanansidhe, his fairy godmother. Wandering, sick and mentally battered, he was found by a group of questitors and hoplites in the smoking ruin of Justin's lab. Brought before the local tribunal, Harald faced death, both for his role in Justin's diabolism, and for slaying his master in defiance of the code. A number of older Tytalus magi intervened, however. Impressed by both Harald's potential and his demonstrated ability to overcome the odds, they argued that he be allowed to complete his training under probation, with sentence of death suspended pending further proof.

Harald has now completed his gauntlet, and for the first time faces the Order as a full member. Although he no longer faces death, most of those aware of the events surrounding Justin's downfall view Harry with deep suspicion, and he is under constant surveillance by the authorities. Moreover, he is plagued by the unrelenting pursuit of his godmother, who will take any opportunity to enforce Harald's side of the bargain. He regularly faces faerie opponents, and entering Faerie regios places him at considerable risk.

Harald also struggles with the internal consequences of his past. An orphan, Harry longs for the comfort of a family and home. For all Justin's cruelty, the elder magi served as a father figure, and Harald must come to terms with the fact that he killed one of the few people he has ever let himself love. His years wandering, under Justin's critical eye, and under sentence by the order have also made Harald intolerant of bullying and those in power. He tends to intervene to protect those weaker than himself, is suspicious of authority, and reacts violently to its abuse.

Harald's talent for Creo and his knack with sympathetic magic make him a formidable opponent. It remains to be seen if he will be given the time to develop the skill to use these talents effectively, or whether the prophecies of his opponents in the order will come true first.

Harald (of Dresden) ex Tytalus
Male, 27 years old

Confidence Points: 5
Confidence Score: 2
Decrepitude: 0
Size: 1

Personality Trait / Score
Brave / 2
Stubborn / 3
Patient / -1

Characteristic / Specialty / Score:

Intelligence / Hunches / 2
Perception / ? / 0

Strength / ? / 0
Stamina / Last Stands / 2

Presence / ? / 0
Communication / / 0

Dexterity / ? / 0
Quickness / ? / 1

Virtue / Scope / Type

The Gift / Free / Hermetic
Self Confident / Free / House
Hermetic Magus / Free / Social
Enduring Constitution / Minor / General
Large / Minor / General
Second Sight / Minor / Supernatural
Major Magical Focus: Arcane Connections / Major / Hermetic
Inoffensive to Animals / Minor / Hermetic
Puissant Concentration / Minor / General
Puissant Creo / Minor / Hermetic
Affinity with Creo / Minor / Hermetic

Flaw / Scope / Type

Clumsy Magic / Minor / Hermetic
Deleterious Circumstances: Running Water / Minor / Hermetic
Infamous Master: Justin du Morne / Minor / Hermetic
Plagued by Fairy godmother / Major / Story
Compassionate / Major / Personality
Incompatible Arts: Creo / Muto, Mentem / Minor / Hermetic

Ability / Specialty / Score / Experience:

Area Lore (Silesia) / - / 1 / -
Area Lore (Bohemia) / - / 1 / -
Folk Ken / - / 2 / -
Hungarian / - / 1 / -
German / - / 5 / -
Survival / being hunted / 2 / -
Legerdemain / magic tricks / 2 / -
Awareness / hidden threats / 2 / -
Brawl / defense / 2 / -
Athletics / running / 2 / -
Swim / - / 2 / -
Concentration / managing pain / 2 (4) / -
Chirurgy / first aid / 2 / -
Latin / - / 4 / -
Magic Theory / arcane connections / 4 / -
Artes Liberales / ceremonial magic / 1 / -
Finesse / - / 1 / -
Penetration / creo / 1 / -
Code of Hermes / avoiding trouble / 1 / -
Philosophiae / ceremonial casting / 1 / -
Second sight / - / 1 / -
Parma Magica / - / 1 / -
Magic Lore / dangerous things / 1 / -
Faerie Lore / bargains / 1 / -
Great Weapon / Staff / 1 /

Technique / Score / XP
Creo / 9 / -
Intellego / 5 / -
Muto / 0 / -
Perdo / 2 / -
Rego / 4 / -

Form / Score / XP
Animal / 0 / -
Aquam / 0 / -
Auram / 5 / -
Corpus / 0 / -
Herbam / 0 / -
Ignem / 5 / -
Imaginem / 0 / -
Mentem / 0 / -
Terram / 0 / -
Vim / 4 / -

Spell T / F / Lvl

Circular Ward against Demons ReVi 15
Pilum of Fire CrIg20
Circling Winds of Protection CrAu 20
Charge of the Angry Winds CrAu 15
Shell of Opaque Mysteries CrVi 20
Ward against Demons ReVi 15
Ward against Faeries of the Air ReAu 15

Gear / Resources

Staff, Mother's pentacle amulet, long leather coat, pilgrim's hat

Very interesting :smiley:

I haven't made a History yet, I was trying to think of a reason he would get shunned from every other covenant, save this one.
Other than that, does everything look ok?

[size=150]EDITED: 4/28[/size]

Name: Vincent Alcot
Player: Esteban
Type: Magus
House: Tremere
Year:

Characteristics: Int +3; Per +1; Pre 0; Com -2; Str +1; Sta +2; Dex -1; Qik 0
Size: 0 (5'6”, 135 lbs)
Decrepitude: 0 (0)
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Confidence Score: 1 (3)
Virtues:
Affinity with Finesse G(1), Cautious Sorcerer H(1), Enduring Constitution G(1), Hermetic Magus H(F), Minor Magical Focus (Certamen) H(F), Piercing Gaze H(1), Puissant Rego H(1), The Gift H(F), Secondary Insight H(3), Second Sight S(1), Skilled Parens H(1)
Flaws:
Clumsy G(-1), Fear (Heights) P(-1), Indiscreet S(-3), Meddler P(-1), Out Cast S(-1), Restriction (Rain) H(-3)
Personality Traits: Daydreamer +1, Dependable +3, Calm -2, Fidgety +2
Reputations: 0
Combat:
Dodge: Int: 0, Attack: n/a, Defense: +2, Damage: n/a
Fist: Int: 0, Attack: +1, Defense: +2, Damage: +1
Kick: Int: -1, Attack: +1, Defense: +1, Damage: +4
Soak: +2
Fatigue Levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 L (1-5), -3 M (6-10), -5 (11-15), I (16-20), Dead (21+)
Abilities:
Artes Liberales 1 ()
Awareness 2 ()
Bargain 1 ()
Brawl 2 ()
Code of Hermes 1 ()
Concentration 1 ()
Etiquette 2 ()
Finesse 1 (2xp)
Guile 2 ()
Intrigue 2 ()
Language (English) 5 ()
Language (Latin)* 4 ()
Magic Theory 3 ()
Order of Hermes 1 ()
Parma Magica 2 ()
Penetration 2 ()
Profession (Scribe) 1 ()
Second Sight 2 ()
Stealth 2 ()
Swim 1 ()
Arts:
Cr: 4 (3xp); In: 0; Mu: 3 (3xp); Pe: 0; Re: 6 (+3)
An: 0; Aq: 3 (2xp); Au: 3 (1xp); Co: 0; He: 3; Ig: 0; Im: 0; Me: 6 (1xp); Te: 5; Vi: 2
Twilight Scars: 0 (0)
Sigil: thin, light blue “threads” seem to rise and disappear from the frame of Ignatius's body. The higher the level of effect, the more visible and longer the threads become. Magically effected things tend to have streaks of light blue running through, on, or emanating off them.
Equipment: Wizardly Robes, Pack of basic supplies
Encumbrance: 0 (0)
Spells Known:
Jupiter's Resounding Blow (CrAu) L:10 M:2 P:125
Bind Wound (CrCo) L:10 M:2 P:129
Piercing Shaft of Wood (Mu/ReHe) L:10 M:2 P:137
Tangle of Wood and Thorns (ReHe) L:15 M:3 P:138
Coils of the Entangling Plant (ReHe) L:20 M:4 P.138-139
Illusion of the Shifted Image (ReIm) L:10 M:2 P:146
Ring of Spirit Warding (ReMe) L:15 M:3 P:151
Confusion of the Numb Will (ReMe) L:15 M:3 P:151
The Crystal Dart (Mu/ReTe) L:10 M:2 P154
The Earth's Carbuncle (Re/MuTe) L:20 M:4 P156
Gather Essence of the Beast (ReVi) L:15 M:3 P:162

History:
Vincent was born to Edward and Patricia Alcot, the youngest of 5, in a small farm in England. Vincent spent his young life as any other child until the age of 6, when his family and friends began to notice odd happenings in his presence. Aside from the uneasy air he had about him, he had made more than a few “imaginary” friends, which were quickly realized to be the embodiments of the deceased when he had communicated with, and described, his grand father, a man who had died well before his birth. A wandering Magus, by the name of Erdeuelu, had taken a great interest in the child, and after much deliberation, the family was willing to part with their beloved, yet strange son, at the age of 10.
Vincent never held ill contempt for his parents for handing him off, and was more than willing to learn when shown what he could be capable of. He wasn't the fastest learner, and in fact his clumsy nature proved more than irritating on several occasions, but he eventually worked out a system to help counter this quirk. However his follies never escaped him, and while preparing an experiment with his mentor decimated the lab, not to mention a large chunk of the surrounding property. No lives were lost, but this incident made him an outcast, and when his apprenticeship was finished, he thought it best to seek residence in a new location so as to escape his misdeed. Having been declined from every other covenant due to this misfortune, he has wound up at the door steps of Novus Mane. One of the few who will even consider his application.
Vincent is a people person, however, his gift tends to drive those less understanding of his condition away. As such, he rarely had a chance to talk to anyone aside from his Parens or the occasional visiting Magi, and even they weren't much conversation. Not having too many interactions with others left him with an urge to talk to any who are willing to listen, often to his disadvantage as his ramblings inevitably let slip information that was to be kept secret. For this reason many Magi are unwilling to work with him, or divulge information on an amicable basis. He is also very apologetic and polite, feeling the need to atone for every minor transgression. He stands 5'6” and 135lbs. He is of average build with dark brown hair that falls to his shoulders, and dark green eyes. He is usually found wearing his favorite black robe trimmed in blue.

Another Elementalist :smiley:

We will have a voting block.

I realize that you have not done the history yet but why Tremere?

Looks like a good replacement for David, and a good reason to keep Dragor around (and allowing me to be an advisor, and Ignatius is a relatively new player).

I don't have to be an elementalist, I was looking at a few Virtues, I just thought that might be appropriate for a Tremere.

And why Tremere? Because I like dueling, or at least the concept since I haven't actually been able to get enough people play a round. lol
It is becoming harder and harder to acquire players in real life.

I think you will find it hard to duel. this is just my opinion but I think that many players of ArM think it is a broken system ( including me).

You can churn through this thread. it has some good thoughts.

[url=https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/a-lengthy-review-of-the-nature-of-certamen/3742/1]

I do not want you to be disappointed if you do not get to develop the character you want.

Certamen works awesome. Not broken at all. I have run several highly successful certamen duels in games, and they all worked out magnificently :smiley:

I've read through the article before, but I've come this far, and I am too new to make another character really quickly without flipping through the main books again, lol.
Besides, I still like the idea of a duelist.