Character development

Looks great to me. I'd have to see it all put together.
Where are you from? I know you said surprise you as far as your companion goes, ut it should be someone you would logically be hanging out with, and would have traveled here with you. Wait, I seem to recal you saying you were a German Jew, right? What if your companion was from the same villiage, a failed apprentice that evolved into more sort of an administrator/autocrat type of roll (with some MT and scribe on the side)? Fits my vision of the mold of a Tremere companion. A take-charge servant :slight_smile:

It is midnight in france. I'm east of you and jebrick and west of max :smiley:

It'll be a tie between andrew and me :laughing:

Oh, and Ardath is just my character from Ad Fons, I just came there without thinking :astonished:op:

:laughing:
I intended to let it grow later as a third focus :laughing:
Good thing, then, we'll have things to share :smiley:

Some thoughts on spells:

• I intended to have a generic personnal "shapeshift" spell, allowing me to change my appearance (face, body... Everything) for one of any other human-like creature (MuCo 3: Utterly change the appearance or size of a person).
    Problem is, at similar level, this makes it an easier spell than "Disguise of the new visage", which uses the "part" target. This worries me.
    Do we go by the raw on this? I must say my GM sense would prefer something like "Part, + 1 mag for all these parts", which would make it harder than DotNV, but it Target: Ind is fine for you, the player won't complain :laughing:

• I have a personnal variation on "preternatural growth and shrinking", which can give me +3 to size instead of +1. I represented this added power by 2 extra magnitudes. Does this agrees you?

Oh, and for the moment, my character seems like a very ambitious young man, who got ousted of every other covenant because of his infamous vis consomption (waster of vis) and his utter inability to write something usefull. He is accompagnied by his lovely wife (and True Love) Clara, a perfectly mundane woman, and also the only person able to keep him a few moments from going all "MWAH AH AH!!! One day, I'll be the most powerfull magus ever, and they'll all tremble before my migh!!!!" :laughing:

sweet :slight_smile:

I honestly believe that Target-Part was created as a place holder to separate Individual and Group by more than a magnitude, and also to jack up the levels of certain legacy spells. Are you changing your whole body or just part of it? There are disguise/impersonation type spells in the Tytalus section of Societates.

The other spell sounds interesting. Does it still allow shrinking?

Other than that, I sayy let's see it alltogether and take a look :smiley:

Thanks, I had forgotten about the tytalus chapter.

Well, there's the succubus trick, but I wanna be able to change eye color, hair color, hairstyle... I guess the 2 added magnitudes do the trick.

And yes, it allows shrinking, but, as per the original spell, by -2 only. I just increased the outer range by +1 per magnitude. Hum... Maybe I was a little harsh on myself, but then...

And my final homemade spell: Rip my Ennemy (PeCo 20)
Base 10: Inflict a medium wound. + 1 touch, +1 diameter.
The effect is simple. During diameter duration, the spell is active, inflicting a medium wound to every corpus-based target I touch.

Who's to say i designed this guy like an assassin? :laughing:

Added Weird Magic Flaw and then took Marko's advice and added Archane Lore. I also added Enchanting music (something from his father) but at his skill level he does not know he has it. I'm going back and forth with the last one. Tough or Good Teacher.

Spellbook TeFoLevel (Casting Score, not including Aura)
Whispering Winds InAu15 (+13)
Charge of the Angry Wind CrAu15(+13)
Rain of Stones MuAu20 (+13)
Cloak of Duck Feathers(ReAq5)(+13)
Gloom of Evening PeIg10 (+14)
Winters Icy Touch PeIg10 (+14)
Heat of the Sering Forge CrIg10 (+14)
Pilum of fire CrIg20 (+14)
Supple Iron and Rigid Rope MuTe10 (+12)
Fist of Shattering PrTe10 (+12)
Trackless Step ReTe10 (+12)
Invisible Sling of Valano ReTe15(+12)

changed main language to Manx and reduced Pressence to 0 to balance the characteristics. I'll repost tomorrow when I write more of the background.

Jebrick: Wierd magic is the perfect accent :slight_smile:
Dig the spell list too. Tough. Be Tough. You were a basket baby, right? Lived through that, first guy that raised ya used to whack you for your own good. Or what about skinchanger? Raven? Eh?

Fixer: Idea! drop the shrinking part and save yourself a Magnitude, and also say that the spell allows you to grow one, two, or three sizes. Remember that the spell needs to Penetrate! Spending 5 xp on Mastery will get you +2 Penetration (+1 for adding score to casting, +1 for adding score to penetration.
Then crunch your enemies like ants!!!
Your assasin spell makes me edgy though. I don't know exactly why, but it just doesn't feel right.

Muttonbone! (I dig that name!): I'm gonna make a Dhampir for your Companion, give him Shapeshifter, make him more of your personal special agent kinda guy.

Andrew: is in the center. LOL, that's as far as it scrolls down to review the page :slight_smile:

Here is a rough draft for Dragor Ivorovich, my companion to Muttenbone!'s character. The twist is his loyalty is divided between serving House Tremere and his loyalty to the covenant. He was assigned to watch out for Muttonbone!, but the exarch of the region can give him outside orders and stuff. He is a Dhampir and a werewolf, with an entrancing piercing gaze. I didn't fill in all the details, and didn't do flashy [b]bold[/i] and stuff. BTW, here is a tip. spiff your sheet out like that, then send it to yourself as a message. Then anytime you want to edit it, just quote reply, cut, back out, and go and paste it where you want.

Anyway, heres...

Dragor Ivorovich
Characteristics: Int +1, Per +1, Com +1, Pre +1, Str -1, Sta +1, Dex +0, Quik +2
Size: 0
Decrepitude: 0
Warping: 0 (0)
Confidence: 1 (3)
Virtues: +3 Dhampir (Natural Longevity, Faerie Eyes, Second Sight, +1 to Faerie Lore), +3 Entrancement, +1 Custos, +1 Piercing Gaze, +1 Privileged Upbringing, +1 Puissant Entrancement
Flaws: -3 Lycanthrope, -3 Oath of Fealty (House Tremere), -1 Dutybound, -1 Covenant Upbringing, -1 Nocturnal, -1 Offensive to Animals
Personality Traits: Loyal +3, Brave +1, Ruthless +2, Discrete +1
Reputations:
Combat:
Dodge: In +0, Atk n/a, Def +0, Dmg n/a
Grapple: In +0, Atk +0, Def +0, Dmg +0
Fistfight:
Knife:
Soak:
Fatigue: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, ko
Wound Penalties: -1 Lt (1-5), -3 Med (6-10), -5 Hvy (11-15), Incap (16-20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: Awareness 3 (watching), Bargain 4 (negotiate), Brawl 2 (knife), Charm 3 (wit), Concentration 2 (attention), Entrancement 4+2 (interrogation), Etiquette 3 (Tremere), Folk Ken (covenfolk), Guile 3 (half-truths), Intrigue 3 (gossip), Latin 3 (magi), Leadership 3 (covenfolk), Order of Hermes Lore 2 (Transylvania), Profession-Scribe 2 (correspondences), Serbian* 5 (villagers), Stealth 3 (discretion)
Equipment:
Encumbrance: 0
Spells Known:
Background: Dragor is the son of a vampire who tormented his mother and his village. The Hunters of House Tremere killed Dragor’s father and took the boy from the village to raise as their servant. Fed on doctrine, to him the House is a Mother and a Father. He can never be a magus, and he knows of his curses. Still, his stalwart loyalty to his masters knows little bounds. His Oath of Fealty is to House Tremere, who have assigned him to look out for Muttonbone’s magus character for whatever reason. His Oath and greater loyalty are to powers outside of the covenant though.

One more thing: Max sez we all are responsible for 50 points of library. we should all decide who wants to do what and coordinate. I will take 50 points of spell lab texts.

Well, the original spell "Adds +1 to the target's normal Size or decreases it by up to 2 points".
So, I figured that the extra 2 magnitudes would allow me to augment my size by up to 3 points. This seems logical.

I didn't want to drop the shrinking, but you're right, I'll devellop a shrinking spell later. That way, I can have a "giant spell" adding up to +4 to my size :smiley:
However, I'll need requisites if I don't want to be naked :laughing: luckily, like for teleport spells, these should be just casting requisites, not "increased magnitude" ones.

As per penetration... The spell is range: Personnal, so it doesn't need to penetrate :wink:. Pretty stupid in the sense that it'd have been cool to have giant grogs, but... Flexible Formulaic Magic 8)

For the assassin spell, something similar was discussed before somewhere. It wouldn't have been very efficient at voice range unless maybe I'd spend each turn making my voice heard (and it'd have targeted the same man other and over again, just like a similar CrIg spell would have created a fire at the same spot over and over again) or used it with concentration duration (and made my voice heard, but this'd have allowed me to change targets). The touch range drops this problem, but then, i need to get up close and personnal :laughing:

Btw, to who am I supposed to make a companion?

That's great, although we'll look silly if 2 players take similar spells :laughing:
I think it would also be good to take a lvl 40 Aegis Casting Tablet...

you have Max's Ex Mish.

I'll be thinking about Marko's companion today. Hopefully a preliminary write up tonight.

MWAH AH AH AH AH!!!

I might go a different course for you on the companion. I think your mentor would not like a warrior or mercenary to hand out with. He might steer someone different your way. For your own good of course :slight_smile:

As long as he loves a good Flamenco! I did some research, and it is totally in period. The modern acoustic guitar comes from the Spanish guitar, which was in fact being used in the middle ages. Then it was called a Latin guitar (as opposed to the Andalusian guitar). Only barbarians play the lute, lol :slight_smile: The lute was introduced to Spain by Viking invaders, and never really caught on outside of those costal areas.

But yeah, go ahead and make a more gentle sort of fellow then. I don't want to paint a monochromatic stereotype.

As for libary, we should divide it up into tasks. I'll do spells, making sure not to repeat a spell someone already has (we can write up our personal grimoires later), and keeping an eye towards a mix that is good for us all. Arts should be divided into two parts, Abilities... thats four, hmmm
I think it is one of those things we should conferr on before we confirm. Meaning I will make a list of spells tonight and post them for approval. Then I'll divide them up into different books. Aegis 40 might be kind of high if it needs to penetrate, maybe 30? Gotta have a wizard's communion table too.

Check with max. His word.
Although I'm from the "wards should penetrate" school", I don't think this should apply to parma. Hum. Aegis. Tip of the digit :laughing:

Note however that, with a lvl 20 wizard's communion, 4 magi could cast a lvl 40 Aegis like a lvl 10 spell. So, anyway, here comes your penetration :wink:

Good point; okay 40 for AotH and 20 for WC comes out to 80. Those should be tablets. What else do we need tablet wise and spell wise?

Not sure if it's an Ex Misc, just no house decided yet - at least that's what I get from reading Max's post. Max, should I just wing a companion and hope that it works, or do you want to give me a little more info about your magus?

Wirth of Flambeau
This is a first draw, written in 1 shot. I may change some details later, but I doubt it. I am too lazy for that :blush:

Born in the south of France, Jean was a quiet and withdrawn boy, seeming always lost in his thoughts. At a loss with him, his parents left him alone. What could they do with this strange child?

However, because of his strangeness, the other boys picked on him soon enough, especially as his gift manifested itself early.
So, he learned to fistfight at a very young age, woving, as the kind of impossible vows child sometimes do, to one day become powerful enough so that no one could threaten him.
As he grew older, he became somewhat biter and more and more brooding. And when he discovered that he had the power to change his appearance to that of any other boy and girl, he used this to work mischief and avenge himself from his tormentors.
However, this could not keep on forever, and soon, the frightened villagers caught on, and decided to burn the "devil child".

It was while he was at the stake that a miracle occured: Monted on a white steed, clad in the finest armor, a man in his mid-fifties seemed to appear from nowhere. He gestured, and the flames that had begun to creep toward Jean's feet died. He gestured again, and the place was shrouded in shadows, all light diminished. Then, he came close to the boy, cut his bounds with a gleaming sword, and took the astonished boy with him, while the frightened villagers cried that the devil had came to take back his child.

The man, as Jean discovered soon after, was in fact a magus from the lineage of apromor. In search of a potential apprentice, he had heard of the boy. While he didn't intended to claim him in such a brutal manner, he had no qualms about his acts.
Of course, things didn't go miraculously well after that. Jean was rebellious, acustomed to be left to his own devices, and, when he discovered that the Opening of the Arts had destroyed his ability, he became even more difficult to live with.

That's when another miracle occured. A new family came to live in the covenant, and, with them, their daughter, clara, a beautiful and quiet young maiden. With her, Jean discovered trust, and, more importantly, peace of heart. She was the best and only friend he ever had. Moreso, she was curious, intelligent, and she opened the same spark in jean, the spark that was buried long ago in anger.
Seeing this, Jean's master encouraged their relationship somewhat, even letting clara in his lab so long as she stayed quiet, letting her visits be a recompense for good behaviour and study. Making quick progress, jean found in himself a thirst for knowledge: That was the way!!! With magic, he could have power unbound, power enough that no one could ever threaten or restrain him, nor his newfound friend.

As the years passed, and the feelings between the youth prospered, the quieting influence of clara allowed jean's master to teach him the value of honor, courage and battle, even though the youth retained a mean streak.

Of course, even then, Jean couldn't perform as expected :unamused:. When his master wanted him to explore his gift with Perdo (for he had a great affinity with this art), Jean also studied muto, and, more importantly, mentem. And while he managed to learn some of his master's recommanded spells, he also studied based on his whims, under his amused master's gaze, curious to see where the boy's curiosity and tastes would lead him.
Near the end of his apprenticeship, he even managed to somewhat dump the spell library altogether to develop his own shapeshift spell, in order to emulate the abilities he had lost. His master proved very happy with the result, even learning the spell himself, as it allowed him to travel incognito.

Soon thereafter, Jean was gauntleted, leaving behind his old identity by taking the name Wirth. His next act was to ask clara to become his wife.
As per his master, despite the difficult years before, despite their differences too, the two parted in peace, and remain in good term as of today.

Dark and brooding magus of the Apromor line, groovy!
I'm of the line of Delendos 8)

Still under development....
Who am I supposed to think of a companion for ? and who has the job of coming up woth a companion linked to a mage who does not exist yet

Going around the circle, we have...

Max
Fixer
Andrew
Jebrick
Markoko
Muttonbone!

As far as outside the circle or expanding upon it (the mage who does not exist yet), I have no idea. Max is da boss. His call.

Here is my first stab at 50 points for the library
Hope I included one for each of us! :smiley:

Prototype Spell List (50 build points = 250 levels)
ReVi35r Aegis of the Hearth (casting tablet)
MuVi20 Wizard’s Communion (casting tablet)
CrCo30r Gentle Touch of Aesclepius (HOH-S, p 100)
CrAu(Re)30 Wings of Soaring Wind
MuAq20 Lungs of the Fish
ReTe15 The Unseen Porter
PeIg20 Wizard’s Touch of Cold (Inflicts +15 damage; B15, +1 Touch, Mom, Ind)
PeVi10 Winds of Mundane Silence
CrIg25 Arc of Fiery Ribbons
MuIm10 Aura of Ennobled Presence
MuIm10 Aura of Beguiling Presence (HOH-S, p 96)
CrAq25 Alchemist’s Revenge (HOH-S, p 35)