Character Development

Both Aequi and Sinmore are approved and have been moved to the Character Sheets thread.

Look to be introduced soon.

Good to hear, looking forward to joining.

I have had a few ideas. I figured I'd mention them and see which get the best responses:

Companions:

1. A shapeshifter boy, quite young and inexperienced. For now he could be a big scout. He might potentially be trained to be a Redcap.
  2. A failed Bonisagus apprentice who is still a great writer and teacher as well as a linguist.
  3. A small, curious, magical animal that moved onto the premises during an earlier casting of Aegis of the Hearth. He might potentially become a familiar.
  4. A dog trainer/breeder who can lead his hounds into battle.

Shield grogs:

1. A tough little man who is impervious to iron.

Craft grogs:

1. A fantastic chef who loves to eat his food.

I'll keep working on more ideas.

Chris

I like the idea of a magical animal that has snuck onto the covenant lands. Since we use dragon scat for vis, maybe it's a curious drake?

An idea I had would be for an English barrister/lawyer type, perhaps sent by the baron. Someone who might not be on our side at the start and one we have to win over or convince (or coerce/threaten).

How about a magical creation from the jewish traditions? Some kind of golem designed from the Realms of Power:Magic?

Archers from the existing turb should only be grog-level characters. All Companions should have some connection to at least one of the magi in the saga, written into their background-- something that makes them loyal to the covenant. An archer who's not part of the turb would be fine as a Companion so long as they have a reason to be here.

Also, remember that in this saga, Bows (used against a single target) use Perception instead of Dexterity.

Custos is singular; custodes is plural. Since he is new to the covenant he would not gain the benefit of the Custos virtue, so you may want to choose a new virtue for him in lieu of that.

OK, Glen was definitely made as a Grog level character, but based on that Perception I may make a minor modification to him. But he was designed using Grog standards. I'll make a minor tweak real quick.

Erik looks fine. Though you seem to have confused "Norman" for "Norwegian." (Normans are from Normandy, in France. Norwegians are from Norway.)

Picky picky picky! :wink:

But yep, Norwegian, however he's been in England all his life, his ancestors came over looking for wergild at some point most likely.

OK, I'll redo that then and grab a different social status virtue, probably one that is free and maybe give him the Warrior virtue.

Arya, what do you think of my companion ideas?

Chris

Companions-- The shapeshifter would be fun. He'd have to be the blood of Mercere the Founder if you'd like him to eventually become a Redcap, though, but that's easy enough. A failed apprentice would be great, but, he'd have to come from out of the Tribunal, as there are only two Bonisagi in Stonehenge in this saga, one of whom is too inexperienced to train an apprentice, and the other of whom... well, let's just say that none of our PCs should know much about him :wink:

I really like the ideas for #3 and #4. #3 a bit more than #4. I like intelligent animals, they are always fun to play and having them around keeps things interesting. As a note, there is a small pack of magical dogs already on the covenant grounds, though they are herding dogs (corgis) and not battle dogs. A dog breeder might be interested in crossing with some of the magical dogs here.

The shield grog concept seems fine, and more chefs are always welcome!

I made some edits on each of the Grogs.

For Glen I gave him the Improved characteristics virtue and infamous flaw. The improved characteristics raised his Perception so it's the equal of his Dex, and his combat totals remain the same in massed or singular archery. His infamy is a bit exagerrated, but I figure it's a rather close knit community so word travels fast and with embellishment, and based on a lot of his antics the archers have gained their reputation.

For Timothy I dropped his social status and gave him Wanderer (free) representing the fact that Sinmore has sent for him and he'll arrive when he can, and bought the Warrior Virtue and added it to his melee skills and adjusted his combat totals. He already had 3 flaws so nothing needed to be changed there.

For Erik I changed any reference to his nationality from Norman to Norwegian.

I figured I'd just edit them rather than reprint them all. Let me know if this works please.

OK. Looks like the magical animal is the most popular option. I'll work on him. I'll look through the magi character sheets to see what might work well for one of the other magi.

Hmmm... I clearly wouldn't choose Rhodri. Aequi has a pet already. Tabanus doesn't seem ready for a familiar. I think Attravere and Sinmore are the best options. Either of you two want a very independent familiar? RoP:M suggests a dog or a cat for ReCo. Of course, the covenant already has a bunch of magical dogs. I am quite amused by how fitting the image of a dog humping everyone's leg is as a familiar for Attravere. The CrIg suggestion is an eagle. I'd originally been thinking of a squirrel or a weasel since those could have hidden on covenant grounds pretty well. Of course, with an eagle it could have just been around covenant grounds. I'll keep looking. If one of you two is really interested, let me know.

...I'm really starting to like the idea of a young dragon. I'm seeing potential. This could work well. Brainstorming... Yes, yes, this will work. Right now I see a small drake (using the RoP:M definition), about the size of a chicken. He'll have a penchant for fire and so would be good as a CrIg familiar. He desperately wants to evolve to become a fearsome beast of legend. I'm going to start writing something up soon.

Anyone know how I should handle poor walking, OK climbing, and good flying? Essentially, think of how a bat moves. I'm trying to figure out how to handle that mechanically. Ah, I see now. With magical animals I'm still supposed to use regular animal Qualities and I can combine that with Lame.

Chris

Here's how far I am on the little drake right now. There's no specific flight Quality, as it is assumed with wings. I'm not making the flight fast, and I plan to use experience for Athletics. I figure Summer is appropriate. I used medium level Companion to build him, and bought down his Might to have him be the little, low Might thing I envisioned. He should be a great familiar for Sinmore.

Size -3
Might 10-(-3)-(12)=1

Int +2 Per +5, Str +1-6=-5, Sta +1, Pre 0, Com 0, Dex +1, Qik +1+3=+4

Large Claws
Large Teeth
Thick Scales

Clear Thinker
Gift of Tongues
Independent Study
Lightning Reflexes
Magic Animal
Premonitions
Puissant Premonitions
Puissant Second Sight
Second Sight
Unaffected by The Gift

Ambitious (major)
Avaricious (minor)
Lame
Magical Monster
Offensive to Animals

Gift of Speech
Greater Power
Improved Soak x8
Major Virtue: Greater Immunity to Fire
Minor Virtue: Improved Characteristics x2
Minor Virtue: Great Perception x2
No Fatigue
Personal Power x3

Reduced Might x12

Personal Power: By His Works (0 points, Init +3, Mentem)
Refreshes a specific memory.
CrMe5 (Base 4, +1 Conc)

Personal Power: Darkvision (0 points, Imaginem)
See perfectly in darkness.
InIm30 (Base 3, +2 Sun, +4 Vision, +1 Constant)

Personal Power: A Mind for Details (0 points, Mentem)
Form perfect memories of all the details provided by his senses.
InIm4 (Base 1, +2 Sun, +1 Constant)

Greater Power: Spit of Flame (0 points, Init +2+1=+3, Ignem)
R: Voice, D: Mom, T: Ind
Spit a small ball of intense fire for +25 damage.
CrIg30 (Base 4, +2 Voice)

Area Lore: [near covenant] () 1
Athletics (Flying) 4
Awareness (Alertness) 3
Brawl (Dodge) 3
Folk Ken () 1
Penetration (Spit of Flame) 3
Premonitions () 3+2
Second Sight (Regios) 3+2
Spell Mastery: Spit of Flame () 2 - Penetration, Quick Casting
Stealth () 3
Survival () 1
Swim () 1

I like this image:

Only thing is, no one's companion slot should be anyone else's familiar, as companions should never be completely beholden to any one player's character. Attached somehow, enough to be loyal, is necessary, but not more than that.

Also, in practice, I never portray Magic creatures as being affected by the Gift the way mundanes are, so you wouldn't actually gain any benefit by taking that particular virtue.

Familiars aren't necessarily beholden to their magi. Magi are as beholden to the familiars. It's just that familiars typically don't have the same self-worth. That's why I asked the question above about having "a very independent familiar." The familiar bond would be a means to an end for him. While his magus would get some power out of it, so would he. So, for example, while Sinmore would get a powerful and fitting familiar, she would also have to bargain with him for assistance in the lab. I think it could be a lot of fun to play a clever and independent being entering into the other side of the arrangement.

Chris

Regarding Erik's background-- No one at the covenant would have chased him off for fishing within the aura, but that point is moot since it is not consistent with medieval times that a skilled craftsman would have been living on the land-- he would have been trained into his profession by being apprenticed to another shipwright and he would have inherited the practice after his master passed.

The covenant had a master shipwright, Maribus of Mercere, until recently. So Erik may have received a lucrative offer to leave his shop to his own apprentice once they turned journeyman, in order to come to the covenant and work as Maribus' assistant.

And regarding Glen-- most of the archers in the turb come from the same village and grew up together (that's why there are a few women among their number). When playing Glen, remember that he is considered something of an outsider among the turb.

I need to spend some time with RoP:M before I can really evaluate the drake. On first glance, though, I don't think that immunity to Might loss is an appropriate quality-- it seems pretty game-breaking. Not really for the familiar but in general-- because if your allies can have that quality then so can your enemies, and trust me, you do NOT want that. Also, I believe you need to spend Qualities on Flight even with wings, but that's something I'd have to double-check in the book. That might be a while, so, my apologies (I'll say more in the OOC thread).

I'll drop that immunity. Now he has an even bigger reason to want to be a familiar.

I'll try to save you some time and effort: none of the birds and, even more telling, none of the flying dragons have a power for flight. It is part of Magical Animal to have a different form - in this case with wings. I chose lame so that he can't move on the ground well because I wanted locomotion like a bat.

Chris