Character Development

That seems fine for now, then. I reserve the right to yell, "Waaaaitaminnit!" after I do get to my books, though :slight_smile:

I will make the edits above so there aren't multiple versions floating around.

Chris

Sorry it took so long to post.

"And I will love him, and pet him and squeeze him and call him George!" Kind of ironic naming a dragon George. :smiley: Sinmore would definitely like to have a drake Familiar, it would certainly give her some House Acclaim I figure, and with her Arts she can likely work on that right away, thanks. I'll look more deeply at what you have there, I don't have my RoP book with me right now.

Regarding you not having access to your books Arya, if it comes down to it, I'm sure you can have one of us look up info for you.

I can see Glen being a bit of an outsider, sure, perhaps from travelling with English armies?

With Erik, I'm fine with him leaving his previous shop/master, considering his character I'd like part of his reasoning to also being about the fishing (I figure fishing enthusiasts are the same in the Middle Ages as they are today). That could be how they even heard of him maybe?

Glad you like him. I've designed him in a way that he will be very interested in being a familiar. But he is quite self-important, so your trade-off for having a great familiar will be that he considers you roughly his equal.

Chris

Wouldn't expect anything less from a dragon. Most familiars probably think of themselves as equals. Question would be how would he develop as time went by? Would the process of binding him leave him stuck at the age and size he was at? Does eating Vis help or is it required? It's been a bit since I read that part.

Technically he's a drake. But he won't claim that.

He'll develop as a magical being. Eating Vis can help but is not necessarily required. He will be earning Vis himself to use in that way when needed.

Chris

I don't have my book handy right now, but with its size and Magic Might and an appropriate lab total (CrIg I would think) I could have a great start up for him as a Familiar, (CrIg lab total = 45 with the Creo specialty Aura). That's how it works right? You compare your lab total verses its Size and Might? We would both definitely benefit from that arrangement.

Bear in mind also that having a player character as a familiar means not being able to bind some cool potential familiars you'll encounter in gameplay. Player built familiars should really be grog level / spring characters, but binding a magical creature you meet throughout gameplay, you'll generally get a cooler and more powerful familiar.

So, would you prefer I build this guy as a grog-level spring character? Or keep him Companion level and lower him to Spring? Or low-power (instead of medium-power) Companion level and Spring? I think I came up with something interesting, and I'd really enjoy this guy as my companion.

Yes, Sinmore's CrIg lab total is easily high enough. You could get cord scores of 3, 2, and 0 or 2, 2, and 2 with 45 points of lab total.

Chris

If he's intended to be someone's familiar then he should probably be grog/spring, to leave you free for a Companion with more autonomy. He's a cool character, but if he's going to take up your Companion slot he probably shouldn't be anyone else's familiar.

Hmmm... I did design him in such a way that he would want to take a mage as a familiar. :wink: My thought was that he would be quite independent, but also very helpful as a familiar, helpful enough that he would desired even given such independence. How much independence? I was thinking just as much as any other companion, but with loyalty and a preference for his mage familiar.

I'll stay out of the Drake discussion, as I'll be the primary beneficiary, I'm just happy that we're going with one!

Just curious if there are any developments or changes in mind or anything regarding the drake or other possible familiars. If it might limit you as one of your Companion slots to make him as a familiar, maybe he should be kind of like the Covenant's drake and not anyone's familiar? That cuts me out of the running for using him then, but Arya has hinted there will be other possibilities introduced in the stories. As much as I want a drake/dragon familiar, I don't necessarily want you to potentially lose out on a companion.

Just throwing that out there. I'm still thinking of a Companion at this time. Where's my Realms of Power: Infernal book..? :smiling_imp:

I would enjoy the familiar as a companion. I designed him in such a way. He would want to take on a mage as his familiar, and he would provide a lot of benefit as a familiar. He would retain a lot of independence, even adventuring with other magi or selling his services as a laboratory assistant. He would basically trade seasons with his familiar (you might say master, but I won't) between doing stuff on his side of the familiar bond and doing stuff on the magus's side. Or if it's mutually beneficial, he would be fine with that. Meanwhile, trust me, I know how to build a good familiar. He would be very, very handy, quite a boon to his magus.

But if Arya doesn't want this, then back to the drawing-board. I entirely designed him as a potential familiar. I might make him as a grog, but the Virtue/Flaw problem rears its ugly head because even Magical Monster, Ambitious (minor), Avaricious (minor), and Lame go well over the grog limit. I'll probably just go an entirely different route for a companion then.

Meanwhile I've been considering a shapeshifter for a grog.

Chris

Well you've convinced me. Bring on the drake!

Hmmm I'm not quite sure what sort of Companion to make... Is there anything we desperately need? Also, since I missed some stuff, can I get clarification on whether I need to make my own grogs or if they'll be run communally?

Thanks in advance,
Gremlin44

You should make grogs you're interested in playing, as for the most part you'd be playing them. The exception is that grogs can be passed around if someone doesn't have a mage or companion involved in a scenario, and still wants to be involved.

This part of Erik's backstory should be revised. No one would have chased away someone who wasn't doing any harm. Also, one of the founding magi was a magical shipwright; Erik should likely have been recruited as Maribus' assistant.

Once his backstory is fixed he should be good to go.

Sorry, I thought I did revise him, I think you asked me to before. I did revise his history and now I'll add the Maribus angle.

Regarding a Companion I've got a few ideas to pitch.

1. A Companion sent by House Tremere to investigate and/or assist Justinius. He's a Dhampir and is mainly considered a House asset. He's there first to assist Justinius and if he's not found, investigate and possibly prep the way for an official from the House to arrive. Story considerations of course would need to be made and approved.

2. A Venditore from the Winter Covenant Ungulus. In the latter years of the declining fortunes of the covenant he went from being a venditor for subtle sales of weapons and armour primarily to knights and lords destined for foreign lands (in order to keep sales clandestine he concentrated on those going on Crusade). Towards the end he recruited 'dragon hunters' and equipped them so they could meet their doom. Before he left the covenant he was the one being trained for another suicidal run at the dragon. Using the addled wizards' mental states to his advantage he fled Ungulus on the pretext of delivering some magic items to the Mercer house covenant. He hopes he'll simply be forgotten by the remaining magi there.