Characters development discussions

Yes, although only in a minor way.

I will look at the overall list of spells to determine if there is too many non-standard spells. It's not just an evaluation on a spell-by-spell basis. A variant like that only counts for a little. A completely original spell counts for a lot.

I don't have Through the Aegis. In any case, why would you need to transpose her in the Rhine? You character can have been apprenticed in a different Tribunal. A few years being fostered in the Rhine would give you familiarity with the Tribunal, if you feel the need.

Not all the magi need to be native of the Rhine. In fact, it would be very strange if all were, as that would mean all of you began apprenticeship at the same time in the Rhine. That stretches believability. So I expect several of the young Bonisagi to be from other Tribunals.

I see your point. I'll come from provencal tribunal then, from the covenant of Jardin.

Language experience cost is high for a foreign magus, specially one suppose to be able to speak fluently to mundane or members of magical traditions without parma, like mine, but having extra tribunal connexion is probabaly an asset considering we're aiming at no less than reforming the order.

I guess I won't be difficult for a gentle gifted magus to find a tutor to learn high German once we get there, maybe among the church considering I'm fluent in Latin. Still I won't be able to fullfill that part of my job for some time. Maybe it would give me a reason to take a spell like thought within babble I'll think about It.

Yes, mastering the local language when you come from another region is a pain for magi, who have so much other things they'd rather be doing. But don't worry, I am sure even the magi who know the local language will have stuff to do that will be annoying for them. You can count on me for that! :grin:

My current plan is to have come from further north in the Holy Roman Empire, so my language at the moment is Low German (Saxon). But a score of Latin 5 (Hermetic) will solve most communication stuff with magi.

I will look at the overall list of spells to determine if there is too many non-standard spells. It's not just an evaluation on a spell-by-spell basis. A variant like that only counts for a little. A completely original spell counts for a lot.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm only looking at one Duration change ( Maintaining the Demanding Spell ), one Range change ( Unraveling the Fabric of Vim ), and one Range/Duration change ( Bind Wound ) of core-book spells. The other four I'm looking at are straight out of the core book: Winter’s Icy Touch , Wizard’s Icy Grip , Demon’s Eternal Oblivion , and Suppressing the Wizard’s Handiwork .

first draft of skills, anything missing or odd ? (ps : that's assuming skilled parens and no affinity, that might change)

Arts? All at 0?

Did Irencellia physically disappear or just the magi?

That’s why I asked myself « why do I have so much skills ? I'm so dumb :sweat_smile:

The whole covenant: magi, buildings, servants, etc.

I'm looking to have Enemies in form of a rival researcher, who'd occasionally attempt to either steal or hamper my magus's own research. Is that alright?

(secondary question, does Hermetic Usage specialization for Latin essentially raise it to 5 for the purpose of writing hermetic books and such?)

Yes, Enemies can be a rival researcher (and his friends, allies, etc.) Remember that this a Major Story Flaw, so it will come up more often and severely then a Minor one.

And yes, Hermetic usage is a valid specialty and counts for writing books on Hermetic Arts and Abilities (see the House Rules on Hermetic Books for what is considered Hermetic abilities).

I can trade it for a Minor variant if possible, but if not, I'll bear with it. Hopefully it won't be too deadly.

It isn't meant to be deadly, unless your actions make it so. For example, if you escalate things and kill one of his friends, it is likely to become deadly serious.

No minor version of that.

The troupe should be aware that the story flaws of one of the magi can certainly affect all of you, although to a more limited extent.

That's fine by me, if others agree as well.

Unless there's anything else to adjust, I've got a character sheet roughly ready for review. Everything in that sheet is of course subject to change and consensus, and I hope the generated sheet summary is comprehensible enough.

Basilus

With a spell list like that, I would sue the master for not training his apprentice properly. Basilus does not have a single spell that he can use by himself. None.

Built like an ultimate lab rat. Would have trouble surviving a day outside of the lab. Very hard to build a story for him outside of hermetic academia, because any physical threat at all will be deadly. No defense, no offense. And you want to send him to create a new covenant in a relatively isolated region? His ability to contribute to the covenant is severely limited.

I hate him already. At least I will not have trouble playing his nemesis! :wink:

Since it might be tough to play him in various scenarios as you said, I'll try to bounce some stats around, reduce the specialization, alter a Virtue or two. And will definitely look at those spells. Though to be honest, I'm not really sure what to keep an eye on, since I'm fairly inexperienced.

I’ll give you suggestions this evening on spells.

First pass:

Emericus

Characteristics: Int +4, Per +1, Pre 0, Com +1, Str 0, Sta +1, Dex 1, Qik 1

Size: 0

Age: 25 (25), Height: 5'6'', Weight: 158 lbs, Gender: Male

Decrepitude: 0

Warping Score: 0 (0)

Confidence: 1 (3)

Virtues and Flaws: The Gift, Elemental Magic, Cautious Sorcerer (Bonus: Three fewer botch dice casting spells or in lab), Book Learner (Book Quality: +3), Good Teacher, Affinity with Muto, Inventive Genius (Invent Lab Totals: +3), Great Intelligence × 1, Hermetic Magus, Affinity with Magic Theory, Puissant Magic Theory*, Unimaginative Learner (Studying from Raw Vis: 3), Driven (incorporate Elemental Refining into MT), Blatant Gift (Interactions: 6 with normals), Covenant Upbringing, Favors (Magus in Rhine), Motion Sickness

Combat:

Dodge: Init: 1, Attack , Defense 1, Damage

Fist: Init: 1, Attack 1, Defense 1, Damage +0

Kick: Init: 2, Attack 1, Defense 2, Damage +3

Soak: +1

Fatigue levels: OK, 0, 1, 3, 5, Unconscious

Wound Penalties: 1 (1 5), 3 (6 10), 5 (11 15), Incapacitated (16 20), Dead (21+)

Abilities: German 5, Area Lore: Area 2, Athletics 1, Awareness 1, Survival 2, Swim 1, Scribe 3, Folk Ken 2 (magi), Magic Lore 1 (magical traditions), Concentration 1 (reading), Charm 2 (being witty), Bargain 1, Magic Theory 4+2, Code of Hermes 1 (tribunal procedures), Parma Magica 1 (Ignem), Latin 4, Artes Liberales 2 (geometry), Philosophiae 1

Arts: Cr 4, In 2, Mu 7, Pe 4, Re 4, An 0, Aq 5, Au 5, Co 3, He 1, Ig 5, Im 1, Me 1, Te 5, Vi 3

Equipment:

Encumbrance: 0 (0)

Spells Known:

Lungs of the Fish (MuAq(Au) 20) +13

Lamp Without Flame (CrIg 10) +10

Supple Iron and Rigid Rope (MuTe 10) +13

Jupiter's Resounding Blow (CrAu 10) +10

Rain of Stones (MuAu(Te) 20) +13

Ward Against Rain (ReAu 10) +10

Show of the Flames and Smoke (MuIg 10) +13

The Earth's Carbuncle (Re(Mu)Te 15) +10

Rock of Viscid Clay (MuTe 15) +13

I am unsure if I want blatant gift so that major may change. He is a servant's child of Fengheld that was starting to train as a scribe.

I've adjusted Basilus' personality to make him more of a teamplayer (50/50 with spending time in lab and spending time 'making things right' among his fellows, so he's driven to do both and has to choose all the time) and reduced overspecialization a bit, so I've got 30 loose xp for other Arts.

I'm still not sure where to put them or which spells to choose, but...baby steps.