charter discussion thread

Tastheus arrives not long time after Zarkut.

"Salve Sodales."

He takes the time to look the decoration and the difference between the Argentius' sanctum and his own.

"You made your sanctum very confortable for the meeting, Argentius. Maybe we would move the official meeting room here."
The Tytalus has a clear smile on this remark.

Argentius smiles a Tastheus before gesturing back toward the door into the building that is his sanctum, living quarters, and lab.

"I take no credit for that veritable palatial quality of the sanctum my forgotten self established," says the artificer. "But I do enjoy this area out front with its shadow and occasional breeze. The desert isn't all bad, at least when the sun sets."

The Verditius gestures at the table of refreshments. "Help yourself, Tastheus. I think we're waiting on a few others before we start in on the task at hand." Argentius smiles again.

"And no, my humble abode wouldn't be at all suited for our meetings. The forge is far too hot."

Silas approaches Argentius building with care. He slows in his approach and internally debates just turning back. He gets there a bit late. He sees the others and fidgets some with his protective amulet before taking the final steps. His worst fears are washed away when the location doesn’t look much like a studio after all, indeed he hasn’t seen any damned rings yet.

“Ah sodales. Sorry for my lateness. I had a few things I had to pick up.”

From the little package he has carried with him he pulls up fine parchment and a collection of some of the finest ink he could get his hands on. Silas was rather busy after the meeting yesterday running from automata to automata.

“A few tools for the occasion. Produced by yours truly, by proxy.”

He smiles and puts down the materials on the carpets and sits down himself.

(I think that's everyone likely to attend - Lares wouldn't participate to avoid having a nervous breakdown :P)

Plasmatoris will meander and stumble his way into the meeting at apparently the very last moment. The artist's demeanor is half-asleep, and he looks like he just crawled out of a bed. Wordless noises of greeting escape him, as he slumps into a chair and sets his satchel before him. Even apparently half-asleep, he moves with a very specific care when pulling his art supplies out of his satchel, and begins to use charcoal to create a rough sketch of Tastheus, as if barely paying attention.

Argentius greets Silas and Lares, inviting them to cushions and refreshment.

"If I'm not mistaken, we had two draft proposals in front of us. Both proposals were set forth as an addendum to the existing covenant charter." He sets out the two proposals in draft form for others to review.

"Silas's more extensive addendum to the Charter (The Addendum to the Charter - Google Docs ) and my less extensive re-affirmation of the core oaths of the Charter: Investigations - #151 by Bartomeus ."

The handsome artificer takes a bite from a plump date.

"It seems the question still pivots around the question of how extensively we need to amend the existing charter. It still strikes me as wise to amend as little as possible so that we can maintain to the Tribunal that despite the event we experienced, we remain the same magi, same covenant, and same charter that was ratified at our founding." He finishes the date.

"Sodales? What thoughts do you have? Tastheus? You are a quesitor, are you not?"

Argentius takes another date from the platter, turning it over in his hands before sitting back again in the silence.

"There are a few salient points I think need to be addressed," the Jerbiton says, though his head is down, and the mess of his hair is fallen across his face. His attention seems focused on the charcoal sketch he is making on a scrap of parchment, but his words are still clear, if thoughtful in tone. "As our lovely Argentius mentioned, we need to decide how extensively we will amend the charter for our new situation. More important in my mind, we need to review the existing charter, and decide if we want to continue to uphold the current charter, what clauses we support and disapprove of, and how it applies to all of us as new-but-old members of the Covenant. I will be honest that the chaos of our awakening here has kept me from giving the old charter a proper review."

Plasmatoris lifts his head, studying Tastheus appraisingly, before adding a few more gentle lines to his sketch of the magus. Then he adds, "Oh, did anyone actually bring a copy of the old charter?"

Argentius moves a scroll over toward the talented, disheveled artist.

"I've got a copy here."

Covenants Layout.indd (atlas-games.com)

(OOC: I believe we had assumed a basic charter based on the Arae Flaviae charter that is in the appendix of the Covenants book.)

"I agree with you, Plasmatoris, in principle, but I am concerned that if we make too many changes we may invite either investigation or judgement from the Quesitori. We're in for a deep cavity search as it is once they learn what has happened here. I'm not sure we should dig the hole deeper."

Mostly, with this additional notes:

Zarkut puts down the cup of wine he has been sipping, as he broods over the copy of the addendum.

"I wanted to come along because I have a fundamental objection. I thought perhaps it might be helpful to discuss it. I don't understand the need for an addendum at all. My opinion is... well, it's impossible to make a set of rules without a loophole for someone to take advantage of. And if someone truly wants to act against the covenant, they may even ignore the rules, and rely on any number of methods to get away with it. I think a charter is a symbol, that the magi are committed to being a community; the form is important only in that it doesn't infringe on anyone's rights unfairly, and provides a form of agreement that is basically standardized with the rest of the Order. So I don't really understand the reason for addenda. Honestly, I feel we are still bound by the original charter; our souls are still the souls of those who signed. I don't particularly object to any of Silas' clauses, but I feel they are implicit in what it means to be sodales, in this covenant, existing cooperatively in the current situation; and it disturbs me that anyone feels that we all must be sworn to such things. I suppose we are strangers, but we are also all in the same predicament. And frankly, if one of us wanted to violate those terms, there's little that could be done about it, in particular I don't understand how we could enforce the terms around secrecy and outsiders."

Argentius listens to Zarkut thoughtfully and then nods.

"I agree with you in principle, Zarkut. My suggestion of a reaffirming our original commitment to the Charter was intended as a symbolic and public statement of our commitment to each other."

The artificer looks around the group.

"We are all responding to this change in different ways. For some, we consider this a new beginning and feel no ties to our former selves. For others, we feel we are the same person. For others we feel dutybound to that former self. Perhaps we simply gather together and publicly and verbally reaffirm for each other our commitment to the Charter and to each other."

"I understand your ... fundamental objection, I think, magus Zarkut," Plasmatoris says, idly pushing away the sketch he had been working on and reaching for a drink. "The urge to addendum the charter, and re-sign it is most likely based on the sense that we need to resolidify our brotherhood. Our bound purpose. Oaths have power." He sips at the wine, and frowns at it. He performs a quick incantation to alter its flavor subtly, and returns to sipping.

"We want to addendum the charter, rather than just re-sign the same thing, because we are magi, and we create things. We forge our path and we are masters of our own destiny. We have a sense of hubris in our existence, just by the powers we wield." Plasmatoris gives Zarkut a wide grin. "Magi are less likely to agree to someone else's terms than to dictate their own. Even when we agree to another's ideas, we will want to add our own words." He lifts his wine, studying the cup.

"The charter is a symbol, as you said. And we are all strangers, in a land of risk and opportunity, and surrounded by trouble and turmoil. The charter can be a strong symbol. And that is why I decided to join this conversation. I have been living here, a highly-honored guest of the former magi of this covenant, and as such I have striven to show my good will and good grace. Even if we stand at odds about philosophical differences."

Plasmatoris comes to a halt, his gaze drifting back to Argentius. He frowns thoughtfully, staring at the other magus for a few breaths, before he adds, "I started rambling again." Then he shrugs, and sits back.

"We're here to discuss the charter, and Magus Zarkut's opinion is we don't need to change a thing. It's a valid opinion, and one with strong moral arguments. The important thing is at the end of the discussion, we all are satisfied with our collective work."

1 Like

Tastheus takes time to listen to his sodals. Every point of view is important to him and necessary to solve problems. As he goes through the various documents already drafted, he smiles. He notices that his way of thinking is still the one he has slowly and longingly forged.

"Yes, I am indeed a quaesitor, even if my knowledge is not as deep as it once was."

Tastheus looks around at all the members present for a bit before giving his opinion:
"I would differentiate between legal and social on this matter; as well as between re-signing and adding or even changing points in the existing charter."

He straightens up a bit, his back straight, trying to look more confident and strict than he really is. But he knows that appearances can be deceptive as well as influential.

"From a purely legal and quaesitorial point of view, there is no reason to sign this charter again. Although some people prefer to think of themselves as new people, our sigils remain what they are, as do our souls. We are what we were and the signature we put at the bottom of the current charter commits us as it did on the day it was signed.

He let a few seconds pass, the time to measure his words before resuming:
"However, I understand perfectly well that, since our memories have disappeared, some people are asking for the commitment to be made again. Whether it's because they feel it makes us a new person or to re-anchor it in our memories. I for one see no problem with this request and even support it."

He rereads all the documents a little, thereby giving his sodals an opportunity to react to his words, before coming to the second part and the proposals made.

1 Like

Silas who has been thoughtfully nodding along to the conversation thus far, licks his lips before he raises his voice.

“Sodales, it has been made quite clear to me that I may have been overzealous with my first draft. Such is the plight of any creator. Each new task he wants to rediscover the very wheel. It despite being quite sound, if I say so myself, was not suited for our needs. I will concur to this – since it’s what the majority believes. But I will hold that at least some of the points should be kept and resigned.”

Silas pulls out the old draft and folds it out on the carpet in front of him. Pointing to the clauses as he speaks.

“Clause one and two are both important to me. Let’s make this fresh start as true as it could ever be. Right now, we are all equal and have no reason to feud with one another. So, let’s sign this all together affirming that such is the case.”

Argentius listens to his fellow artificer with an attentive expression. When Silas is done, Argentius simply nods.

"I have no issues with the first two clauses. They speak to the loyalty and common cause they we all need to reinforce and build."

The handsome artificer looks at the others and then gestures to Tastheus.

"I would like to hear Tastheus's thoughts on how best to implement this addendum. Perhaps there is an alternative to modifying the Charter and letting us sign an ancillary agreement that invokes our commitment to Magus Silas's two clauses."

Zarkut nods. "The first two clauses I find less objectionable, reaffirming principles, and I don't mind that as we do have no memory of each other, so it would perhaps set all our minds at ease. Though the second sentence of the second clause is a bit vague, the word loyal is left hanging. And I wouldn't mind some reference to our situation and keeping it secret, though not such a point-by-point breakdown of duties."

1 Like

Plasmatoris's attention had been crawling through the original Charter agreement, glancing up now and again as the others speak. To Silas, he gives a broad smile. The Jerbiton seems incapable of small polite smiles anymore than he is of small moods. He gives a few nods as the man speaks of the passion a creator can be captured by. He certainly understands that.

To Tastheus, the man frowns a bit, thoughtful, his bright eyes going distant. "I won't get into the specific arguments again about definitions and dismissive treatment. Needless to say, I feel something should be done to resolidify our position. To re-bind us all. I have no plans to turn away here, and do not expect it out of anyone, but there is a purity in codified purpose."

Plasmatoris looks over to Argentius and then Zarkut, his expression thoughtful. "We don't even really need it to be an official charter, do we? Just an affirmation of goal and purpose. 'We the undersigned, magi of this covenant, do hereby reaffirm our support of the covenant. To ward away strife and conflict, and build a better, more profitable future collectively. For reasons of our own we have come together stronger than we have been before, and forge a path ahead together, guarding the shared secrets of our magic and our covenant.'" Plasmatoris shrugs lazily and reaches for another drink. "Magi in Thebes have been known to work together in magical leagues, and I understand Flambeaux and others often agree to guard each others' secrets with agreements of brotherhood." He pushes the Charter back into the center of the table and leans back, sipping his drink. "It doesn't need to be in the charter, necessarily, but an agreement of working together. That would help my spirits, I think. My real worry here is the assertion of onus in carrying another's name."

1 Like

"I agree, Plasmatoris. It quite likely doesn't need to be a change to the Charter at all. It could just be an agreement, like you said, that is ancillary to the Charter given the situation we find ourselves in," says Argentius with a nod.

"It feels to me like we're making progress toward a consensus. Do others feel the same?"

Zarkut nods, looking around for the others' reactions.