Childhood in Novgorod

This is only related to Ars Magica in terms of flavour, and perhaps an idea for a way to find old books: slavic.freeservers.com/onfim.html

The page shows a medieval child's drawings and writing, preserved on birch-bark paper, and from the correct period for Ars Magica too. The page has too many pop-ups, but with a decent broswer it's a fascinating little window onto a child's life.[/url]

That is really cool!

I'm going to have to pass this along to a couple of historian-friends of mine.

This is just fantastic. I'm going to pass this on to some children's librarians I know.

Wonderful. It is good to see that some things never change.

-K!

Yeah, the cool thing about these birchbark documents is the suggestion that literacy was much more prevalent than expected.

I think it's safe to say someone needs Onfim as an apprentice!

P

Ah, but what house would he best fit in? Flambeau? Bjornaer?

My mother is an academic specialized on children literature and how to teach children how to write and read. Senting it to her straight away!! Thanks for sharing this amazing stuff! :smiley:

Cheers,

Xavi

Birchbark, eh? I am reminded of the Anishnabek (Ottawa, Chippewa, Potawatomi) - many of the indigenous peoples of the Great Lakes - and they're traditions of pressing birchbark with their teeth for art and other reasons as I've heard of (but don't know much about) birchbark scrolls.

Man, I'd love to do a Ars Magica meets Northern Crown saga...

Beautiful webpage, I can't wait to share it with mi companera and other library and early childhood staff around here.

How fascinating! I kept thinking that if Onfim was a vikti, the spells he cast on that birchbark would still be active today! Well, except for the horse summoning one. :slight_smile: