Christmas in Barcelona (Winter 1234)

This definitely gets Vibria's attention (since she didn't get to keep any of the kewl stuff she found when she had to deal with Vulcanus's ex - unless you count the ginormous boobies).

[color=red]"Did you say 'treasure map'?" she whispers.

[color=red]"He did say 'treasure map', right?" she asks whoever's next to her, then turns back to Solomon.

[color=red]"What kind of treasure map? Where is it? What does it lead to?"

Vibria definitely has That Look on her face.

Yes, though I have no idea what resetting ones Parma does... :slight_smile:

Parma Magica lasts from sunrise to sunset and from sunset to sunrise. Meaning that at dawn and dusk, your parma expires and you need to cast it again.

Marko, did you miss the last part of my last post? Here it is again:

"A treasure map? What do you remember about this treasure map? Did they say what it led to, or where they found it?"

I have no idea. Well wait, I think they said they swiped it, switched one map for another. Some patrons at the restaurant. I don't think even they knew what it was for.

"Do you mean the Pearl Peacock? did they say anything about these patrons, what they looked like? Did you get a look at the map?"

...and that, my friends, is why Bedouin girls don't ride camels! The men at the table roar with laughter, perhaps a bit louder than the story deserved, but Pere is unconcerned. As the laughter dies down, he pats the knee of the girl next to him (Magda? Magdalena? Something with an M...) and gives her a wink. She leans closer, giving him a less-obstructed view of her assets. His associates clamor for another tale, but it may be time to better introduce himself to Miss M.

His train of thought is interrupted by a touch on his shoulder. As Teodor leans over to whisper in his ear, Pere raises a hand for quiet. Interesting. Two of them, you say? Teodor mutters some more. Well, I simply must see this for myself. Pere turns to the girl with an apologetic smile. My dear, I'm afraid duty calls. Perhaps we can be better acquainted next time I'm here. Until then, here's something for your trouble... and he passes her a few coins. As for the rest of you lot, I certainly can't leave you sober. Barkeep! Another round for my friends! As Pere rises to leave, a man in Turkish garb moves quietly out from a nearby shadowed corner and falls into step behind him and Teodor.

Once on the street, Pere turns to his old companion and says Very well, Teodor - to the Silver Rooster. Time to see what my loving parens is up to.

Which one is your parens?
And Miss M is an "employee" at the Gold Gryphon. Speak with Mistress Golda and she can arrange for the two of you to spend as much time together as you like :wink:
Oh, what a sorrid, seedy city this is...

As you step outside onto the street, a man calmly approaches you out of the darkness. He wears the badge of a Sots-Veguer, a "deuputy-mayor" of sorts. He is alone, no guards accompany him.
Magus, might I have a word with you?

The Pear Peacock, yes. They said they were drunk rogues, friends of the owner that used to work for him a few years ago. Bob, Ken, and Doug, the guys that work there now that I was hanging out with, they complained how well Fenchy was treating them, Frenchy is their boss' name, they resented how well he treated them and complained how poorly they were treated. The patrons got really drunk, so did Frenchy, and they passed out. Ken stole the map, Bob took their money, and Doug swipped the remaining unopened bottle of sherry.

Farusca.

Yeah, it's going to be a shame to leave. :slight_smile:

Do the deputy mayors normally know magi exist and who they are?

since you are the filius of Farusca, I shall presume you are familiar with Barcelona. It would be unusual for any other city official you address you directly like this. But this man is different. Kostandinos Katsulius, the Sots Veguer in charge of investigating paranormal disturbances to the peace. He is a "top cop" of sorts.

I'll get straight too it. In the past seventy-two hours, news of three different murdered wizards has come to my attention. And there are whispered rumors of a fourth one that involves one of the members of your clubhouse. It is a coincidence our running into each other like this. I came here following a lead and maybe ask a few questions of Golda Simone. But since you are here, I would like to ask you a few questions.
Can you account for your whereabouts in the past twenty-four hours?

Solomon quickly stifles a yawn and focuses back on the ghost, "I'm sorry, the journey here was long and I'm afraid my concentration is beginning to fade. What is the very last thing you remember before waking up in your room here? Did you get any sort of look at the map?

And most importantly, is there something in your room that I can use as an Arcane Connection to you? With this I could locate your body and begin to decipher what happened to you."

Barcelona Area Lore of 2, for what that's worth.

Of course. Pere steps into the shadows Katsulius was standing in. Barzin joins him and Teodor wanders around looking nonchalant. At this time yesterday I was sharing a table at the Emerald Wave with a number of acquaintances from the Espirit, a ship owned by Captain Maubert. I'm certain one or two remained sober enough to verify my presence. Later in the evening I spent time in the company of a lovely girl with a dusky complexion...dark hair...impressive bosom...what was her name...something with a D? I apologize. The proprietor of the Wave should be able to point you to the right lass.

Teodor calls from out on the street...Minerva!

Ah yes, Miner-...are you quite certain? I thought tonight's girl had an M name. Or does her name have a D? Oh, no matter. As I said, Delmus at the Wave can find her for you. Now then, this morning I rose early to meet with Captain Maubert's factor to work out a deal for a shipment of salt. I'm afraid I can't share the details, but that took most of the morning. I ate lunch at home with my family, took a brief nap, then came to the Gold Gryphon for a bit of relaxation. This takes us up to now. Teodor there can confirm all of this. My Turk was there as well, but he doesn't speak a word of Catalan.

Now, what's this about magi being killed?

I never saw any map, I just heard them talking about it. I was uncomfortable with their having stolen money, but the sherry was good and quickly numbed my conscience :smiley:
The last thing I remember is being really-really drunk. We decided to go bar hopping, we left, and I don't remember deciding where we were going or getting anywhere. We left, the world goes blank, and I woke up in my room as a, a, ...a ghost :frowning:
I have been staying in one of the rooms at the inn until I can get a new place together. I have all kinds of stuff you can use. I have a guitar, a mandolin, a few drums and a small guitar, a flute, a few books and some clothes. It is all still in there. My lute is missing though. I had it with me last night.
Okay, stop. Think like a wizard. This ghost form is wearing clothing, my corpse wherever it is must be wearing those clothes. My lute doesn't manifest with me, therefore it must not be with my body. They must have become separated.
If the corpse is in good condition, we can clean it up and animate it and maybe I can possess it. I wonder what my ghostly powers are? I can still cast spells, but with great effort. I tried one earlier, making some magical noise to see if people could hear me doing anything. That worked.
Say, I have an idea...
And Erus Pavo suddenly appears before everyone's eyes, and when he speaks all can hear. The reason he didn't think of it until now is that I didn't think of it until just now. It is so silly stupid that we can just say that Erus is not normally all that clear headed and he is still in a bit of a state of shock. He just needed to slow down and start thinking like a wizard :slight_smile:
That took a lot of effort. I just cast [I]Phantasm of the Human Form[I], and created an avatar. I'm not even here, I drifted up into the corner and am controlling this thing like a marionette. This is kinda fun :smiley: (the phantasm of Erus Pavo dances a little jig). I suppose I have a Might score. Not sure what it is, or how much casting that spell took out of me.

It is now sunset. Erus can maintain this phantasmal form until dawn (as a duration Sun spell). Everyone else must take a break to cast their Parma Magica. Solomon gets two points of Confidence, everyone else gets one.

The detective takes a slow drag off of his cigarette...
:laughing:
The first murder was three nights ago, and that is the one that put me on this case. Didn't even know he was a wizard until investgators called me in to calm their fears about the strange manuscripts they found. One Vicenç Jerbiton, male about age 35, roughly 5'6" and 140 pounds. He was found dead in his room at the Crimson Covered Cottage, a hotel on the near West side. The texts were some Hermetic books he had recently purchased on the street of books. One of your clubhouse members has a shop there I think. Vicenç was found the other morning by the chambermaid, bludgeoned to death. Inept investigators found no other obvious signs of disturbance, so it was fortunate I was called in about those books. Marks on his neck. He had been wearing a chain or an amulet of some kind. He was robbed and the thief yanked it off of his dead body forcefully. No one has been apprehended, and the only suspect we have is Vicenç's servant who has gone missing.
The second murder took place the night before last. This victim was a known wizard and a wanted criminal. Vermbar Rossell. Somehow someone managed to slide a dagger between his ribs. Don't know how. The man is wanted for multiple homicides dating back decades and is a known serial arsonist. Your clubhouse said they were going to deal with him for me, some twenty years ago when I first took this job. None of our men will dare go near him. His body was found in an alley don by a dockside whore house. How glorious, eh?
The third killing took place yesterday afternoon several miles outside of town. Normally far beyond my interest, but the spectacular story drew my curiosity, as well as the fact that it obviously involved magic. Locals say two witches were feuding in a nearby empty valley, hurling fire and thunder at one another. When it was over, the one wizard flew away and the other one lay smoldering. That one I think is unrelated. And I don't care if two witches or wizards kill each other in a feud, as long as no innocents get hurt and it doesn't happen in my city. But you may want to tell your clubhouse mates to look into it.
Then at the Silver Rooster. One of my men, Pol, he drinks there regularly. Matteu knows him. Apparently some visitors came in, other wizards, and while greetings were being made there was some hubbabaloo about a ghost. The wizards excused themselves to secret chambers for a séance. Their servants went about their tasks and some started drinking at the bar. Matteu took my man Pol aside and told him to give me the heads up and invoked a personal favor to make this investigation a priority. I came here to speak with Golda, to see if she had any helpful information or could perhaps read the cards and help guide me.
sigh
Brace yourself. One of the members of your club hou.., of your covenant, Eras Pavo, is dead.

As I said, I spent the evening in the company of a young lady whose name is apparently Minerva. The entire evening. Pere gives the cop a nasty smirk.

Just as long as he doesn't whip off his sunglasses for dramatic effect. :slight_smile: Before I get to Pere's full response, I want to see what he knows about Vicenc and Vermbar...

Vicenc: Int 3 + OoH Lore 2 + roll 8 = 13 (particularly interested in what the amulet might have been)
Vermbar: Int 3 + OoH Lore 2 + roll 8 again = 13 (if he's not Hermetic, Pere's Barcelona Lore is also 2)

It doesn't help that I was imagining a trench coat and fedora hat :laughing:
Vicenç you know next to nothing about. Name sounds vaguely familiar, bou that is only because he attented a House Jerbiton meeting you were at not too long ago. Unimportant and miscellaneous mook.

Vermbar is the vulgar name of Trentus of Flambeau, infamous hero of the Shadow Wars, known mass murderer, and serial arsonist. Trentus had his Gauntlet held in Barcelona many decades ago, the results of which were a dozen dead men and a fire in the harbor. He fought a battle against Metron at the Silver Rooster 20 years ago. Love him or hate him, he is one baaaad mother f...
Shut your mouth!
But I'm talking about Trentus.
Oh. Well we can dig it :slight_smile:
He's a complicated man 8)
And supposedly he is now dead.

So what is the next step we would like to take in dealing with this situation?

Solomon is going to use an Arcane Connection to Erus and a map of the city which should be easy to get to cast Tracing the Trail of Death's Stench to locate his body. He's hoping they may give some more clues. He would also recommend that someone without the Gift (or Gentle Gift), go talk to Frenchy, the boss at the Pearl Peacock, and see what they can find out. Frenchy likely knows about the map since he was friendly with the guys who had it, and might know where the sherry came from. Solomon thinks there was something "funny" going on with the sherry.

We can only hope he found a woman who understood him before he died...

Pere looks surprised, though if Katsulius is expecting shock and dismay he's disappointed. Was Pavo killed in the Silver Rooster itself or is that where his alleged ghost was seen? In either case, this seance is more likely to lead to answers than Golda's fortune telling.

As for the other deaths, it's likely 'Vermbar' simply got what was coming to him. He's spent the last two decades making very dangerous enemies. One of them was bound to catch up to him eventually. I don't know Vicenc and haven't heard anything about the witches' duel. Probably just a couple of hedge wizards fighting over scraps. Or a farmer struck by lightning and someone reading omens. Still, I'll pass the word along to my colleagues. Now, if there's nothing else?