Companion discussion thread

By my reckoning, we have three companions in the campaign:

• Ivor MacBride, shield companion to Fiona (currently up for grabs, and I think there might be some Secret Goins-on a-Transpirin' that Jonathan would need to fill you on in. Maybe.
  • Mufarji ibn Walid, Moorish warrior being run by Jonathan.
  • Wilhem the Forester, my woodsman-type with a dark secret in his past.

I don't know I was thinking we had more companions...but yeah, more is good, I guess.

I've been thinking about bringing one of my own, I'm still drafting him, but in the meantime here's the basic concept :

- The Grumpy Blacksmith (Ex Rebel leader)
Once happily married, this intelligent (+1) son of a well reputed blacksmith rejoined and eventually lead a peasant rebellion when his wife was drowned, conveniently accused of sorcery after she denied her favors to the local noble brat. Finally caught, he was branded as a criminal and jailed for 7 years before he was released upon the takeover of his jailer's lord by some other noble.

Disgruntled with society and his own rebellious past, he now tries to ignore both his still burning sense of injustice for the undue privilege of "well-born brats" and the call for help of his former rebellious "brotherhood" (now just a pretext for criminal activities, à la Robin Hood's Merry men turned greedy).

Strengths and Weaknesses :

• Craftman
  • Potentially, a natural leader for the grogs.
  • Supernatural Ability : Premonitions
  • Outspoken/Disgruntled Egalitarian
  • Branded Criminal & Criminal past/"friends".
  • Missing Hand.

Thibault Durelles - prospective character sheet.
edit : Age 35

Int 0, Per +1
Pre +1, Com +1
Str +2, Sta +2
Dex +2, Qik +1

Virtues and Flaws:
Inspirational
Strong-Willed
Clear thinker
Premonitions
Affinity with Premonitions
Long-Winded
Improved Characteristics x2
Affinity with MetalSmith
Affinity with Single Weapon

Outlaw (major)
Branded Criminal
Lost Love
Dependent (major - his son, ~8 years old)
Infamous (bad reputation : "ex-rebel; troublemaker".
Oversensitive (injustice; overbearing nobles/dignitaries)

Abilities :
French 5
Area Lore : 2 (probably near Atsingani main route, Autun??)
Metalsmith (armors) 7
Leadership 4
Single Weapon (hammer) 7
Thrown Weapon (throwing axe) 4
Premonitions 8
Awareness 2
Brawl 2
Athletics 2
Folk ken (peasants) 2
Carouse (rebels) 1
Ride 1
Teaching (metalsmith) 1 (+2xp)

((I'm still adjusting his backstory...))

Can I make a companion with Mythical Blood. It just goes with the Cult of Heroes in Mercere

I think you have a frequent enough posting speed to handle Ivor and another. Can you throw out your concept for him?

i can handle Ivor. i was just waiting for assent for me to do so since two of us talked about it. My purpose was just to have a companion for Korvin that anyone can play. I never mind someone else playing a companion made for my mage but I normally hate someone else making a companion for my mage.

I'm toying with a redcap who has the mythical blood of Odysseus. A trickster personality. very good with a bow. The rules for mythical blood can make him pretty good compared to normal companions. That is why I want to make sure before I put too much time into the creation.

If someone wants to step up to do that kind of a character, I'm fine, but I can also see that someone would want input on a character that they play. When I had originally suggested companions be tied to a magus, I wanted there to be a deep understanding of what that relationship would be like and that there would be some give and take. If someone is interested in playing a Mythic blooded companion, I don't have any objection to that. I would like to have that person take a strong hand in developing the character, though.

I don't have an objection to the character. Anything that pisses of giants and their kin is A-OK by me! :smiling_imp:
Someone might not want to take on a character built and designed by someone else. If someone's interested in the concept, I suggest you work together with them and hash out the details. Otherwise you can play him, and I can send him on stories, which you can run. If there's heavy interaction between the companion and Korvin, I'll take over the companion for that bit.

Oh, I have no problem with ye playing Ivor.

I'm going to nix the affinity with premonitions. Viviana does this job better. I also want to tone down his leadership a bit. I think having animal handling for shoeing the horses is important, and probably teamster for handling a cart.

I see.
Well, if we nix premonition because a magus does it better, then I admit that I do not really see the point of him having it in the first place, right? And Leadership reflected his past as a rebel leader, but no problem let' cut this other aspect of the concept too. He will be more one-dimensional, being re-focused as a smith, so there's also some virtues that don't make sense anymore; ditched too. Idem for some of his characteristics then, reworked. That will certainly make him easier to roleplay for other players, if they'd ever want to, as I won't claim him as my exclusive companion.

Here's the revised, simplified version. Teamster and Animal Handling added. Two other 'area lore' too since he's been traveling with Atsingani for some time. Boosted Teaching.

Int 0, Per 0
Pre -1, Com -1
Str +3, Sta +3
Dex +5, Qck +2

Virtues :
Long-Winded
Enduring Constitution
Improved Characteristics : x4
Great Dexterity x2
Affinity with Metalsmith
Affinity with Singleweapon

Flaws unchanged.

Abilities :
French 5, Area Lore 3, Area Lore 2, Area Lore 2, Metalsmith 8, Single weapon 6, Thrown Weapon 4, Awareness 3, Brawl 3, Teamster 3, Animal Handling 2, Athletics 1, Folk Ken 2, Bargain 2, Teaching(metalsmith) 4, Carouse 1.

Perhaps I've let my prejudices get the best of me. I wasn't feeling it. And I have a tendency to want characters who have a trade skill also have bargaining of some sort. And there is high need of such a character in Atsingani, and continuing on into Mons Electi. The premonitions +presence of 9 plus just seemed a bit high, given that Atsingani has a seeress already, and those kinds of people generally dominate the groups they are in. I just didn't see two people with such similar skills being together.

I like multidimensional characters, so if you think you might be interested in a mercantile character with a trade skill, I think there are stories to be made easily... Jormangund and Korvin could both benefit from having a factor represent their commercial interests, for example. Atsingani could've had someone expert in bargaining, procuring the supplies he could, for as little as possible, trading, bartering, selling stolen goods to a criminal underground, etc.

To be clear, you can keep premonitions, but the Affinity and the high level are problematic for me, given his involvement with Atsingani. It's reasonable to believe that if he had such an ability, it would be under-utilized with a powerful seeress around.

Nah, let's forget about the smith for the time being. Or I could recreate him as an (hopefully interesting) grog rather. A mercantile expert sounds good, and it's true that such character would fit right both with Atsingani's previous (I'm an optimist) wandering ways and for handling Mons Electi presumably outstanding (but fuzzy) wealth. I'd have to consult with Peregrine_Bjornaer as a player though, as I remember that he wanted to manage some number crunching regarding our covenant's income/costs, but this can make things easier for everyone. I've also some reading to do, as I'm not as familiar with house Mercere and/or Factors specifically as Korvin.

Now, to justify that a bargaining expert to have landed with a nomade and poor covenant like Atsingani, there's logically some room for an interesting backstory.
I'll brainstorm a bit over it... 8)

ps : my, I absent myselft for ~24 hours and 14th threads have been updated! You guys have all finished Skyrim already?! :laughing:

Anyone have any objections to me having a Redcap?

No.
Do you have an objection to playing a man? I'd like to work Renaud from the Lion and the Lily in, if possible, there's nothing written about him, beyond that he likes to drink, gamble and perhaps be a lecher... Oh and he's very bright, but I could see that as either high com or high int.
There's the brother angle to explore.

If not, no worries... Just expect the character to be a pawn to be used by either brother...

I am terrible at playing male characters. Mostly because I find the shit men do to be completely inscrutable.

Eat, drink, gamble, sex. What's to think about?

It would be a sexist caricature if I play it :slight_smile:

I think this amusing and completely safe for work picture pretty much sums it up.

Well, I can try, but if it's overdone you can't say I didn't warn you :slight_smile:

The last thing I want you to do is something you don't think you can or are interested in doing. I just wanted to lay out the difficulties in this situation. Also, the Redcap will be freshly gauntleted, or will be sufficiently junior to the two brother redcaps.