Companion thread

I will have a woodsman as Yannis' shield grog.

I can take the moor in Triamore as companion.

Perkele!

https://satwcomic.com/bear-whisperer

I'll take the Alewife. Perhaps asking to be allowed to relocate to the covenant because she's worried about the local lords taking away her brewery.

I don't have a name yet for the Mechanician, but he will make a shield grog. :grin:

Uuuuh! Nifty!

No problem with the alewife. The castle has a brewery under the hall after all. One that I assume is hardly used nowadays.

Are we going to do that idea and 10/10 Companions? Or go with normal hedge wizards and 5/5?

I would vote for Malakh's idea but I don't mind the lower-powered option either.

I could make a companion shield/grog type for the frere.

PM that Plot_Device sent me:

Posting the answer here since it is general stuff :slight_smile:

I am still waiting for the other members of the group to give their opinion. I am tending towards normal magi and 5/5 companions. Wilhem, your mechanician, is a magician level character, so he is a 10/10 in any case.

Basically what I have come to see in ArM is that companions (and in fact, magi as well) do not need that many V&F to be well rounded characters. 10/10 are just used to create "too perfect" specimens instead of broad characters. It is a feature of the game, and one I can embrace (been there lots of imes, of course) but I think weaker characters make for better stories. However, I am still waiting for the group to give its opinion here, so I do not have a final decision for you.

I am throwing the group a lot of curve balls and see which ones hit home and which ones do not. Do not expect everything I put forward to be implemented in the end, because there is too much stuff to cover and I want to make a saga people want to play in :slight_smile:

5/5 sounds reasonable to me. I would be OK with a little wiggle room, such as someone perhaps wanting two Major Virtues or two Major Flaws going to 6/6 since they can't land within 5/5.

1 Like

6/6 companions sounds like a reasonable idea.

Also, as I mentioned in the Triamore thread, I am now leaning towards making a mason.

6/6 then. Settled. I will try to edit the house rules section today with the several changes we have been discussing.

Remember that any character can have maximum 5 minor flaws, so a 6 virtue character needs a major flaw (and a 10 virtue one needs 2 major flaws).

2 Likes

While Frère Sulpice could by no means have brought a bodyguard with him from Paris, the Covenant certainly can assign him one. And if a suitable shield man in Triamore volunteers, so much the better!

The guardian angel grog sounds great. I can see a professional killer with such a weird attitude washing up to a covenant and the angel acting as a fangirl for the new friar until he is assigned to the task. Having a guy carrying sharpened steel so near him might not be the preferred thing for sulpice though.

Dude with a Guardian Angel doesn't exactly need a shield grog.

I like it.

IIRC we have already a mason (@MalakhGlitch), an ale-wife (@Plot_Device) and a bodyguard (@callen).

Then I propose to play a messenger of the Restored Order of Hermes, based on the radiant beacon of the Order that is now Triamore.
He/she is perhaps best built around the HoH:TL p.106 Lone Redcap, as there are no Mercer Houses, magic items and longevity potions for free any more - and maybe not even complimentary votes graciously declined.
He/she could be kind of a living fossil, whose great-great-great-grandfather once delivered that message in the schism war, that ... - and certainly tries to raise children to pass on this glorious legacy to.

... or fear one. :innocent:

A Lone Redcap is a fantastic concept for a Companion. Lovely!

@Xavi I suggest that the each player can opt to create a personal grog (shield grog, servant, or travelling companion) that acts as an extension of the main character as is the usual practice (at least in games I have played)?

2 Likes

Seconded.

No problem. It will be a grog, so if another player wants to step in and take (,temporary) control of the character it is valid. In other sagas at my table that has caused some great moments, so grogs having a rotating player (even during the same adventure!) is something I encourage.

IIRC we have as such 'shield grogs' already announced a woodsman (@MalakhGlitch) and my Fra Taddeo.

Ernest, woodsman of Ardennes, shield grog of Yannis