Correspondents

This topic is a place to post details of magi's correspondents and their interactions with them, so that all of can have an idea of how each magus fits into the Order of Hermes.

Scott

[OOC: The following letter is received by Viola shortly after the magi have settled in to the covenant]

Sodalis Viola,

I trust you have settled in to your new home by the time you receive my letter. Have you found the regio you were hoping for? The lack of faerie aura here is a perpetual nuisance to me, as no doubt you will have noticed during your stay. Still, I am not yet at the point of Aegea appealing, and I doubt Polyaigos would have me. So, tell me of Nova Castra (is that really the best the tribunal could come up with? Accurate, yes, but so lacking in elegance! And what is it to be called in 100 years time? But I digress, and insult your home in doing so - please forgive me). What sign of the perfidious attack on it? What dangers overcome, what monsters found, what heroics displayed? Give me the details, I beseech you!

Calliope

[Without the assistance of her quill, which, ironically, only helps in person, Viola is going to be somewhat incoherent, though it's easier to correct oneself when writing.

I'm assuming here that Viola has investigated the temple at least a bit before writing back. Also, I'm not sure what "Aegea appealing" means--is Aegea the patron of the covenant or something? ]

Sodalis Calliope,

Here we have a small Tremere, annoying. He is small, though, and I think not a big threat, but you know how Tremere work together. The temple here, in Tana, it was Poseidon's, and then Neptune came and destroyed it. I have my lab there, a regio with a strong faerie aura, but yes, inside there are monsters, even a Gorgon or something like that, but I didn't see her. Our covenant still needs a patron, and I think perhaps we can make the temple for Neptune or his relative.

Still don't know who attacked the old covenant. It worries, but maybe with time we can do something.

Once we do repairs, any maga will be welcome here, if you decide you want to see it. I think there are more than a few faerie sites nearby.

Viola

Scott

[OOC: Viola is vaguely aware that Aegea is a covenant in the Theban tribunal with a strong Merinita presence, although she doesn't know much more than that. Polyaigos she's never even heard of, although context would indicate it's another covenant.]

Sodalis Viola,

I have never yet met one of the Tremere, doubtless my good fortune, although I think there was the occasional visit by one during my apprenticeship. Allectores, I think. I was never introduced, though, or given the reasons for his visit. May have just been trade, or possibly trying to gather support for Nova Castra? I'm sure I heard my mater exclaim that it was better they spent their efforts there than in yet another attempt at debasing the tribunal's heritage.

A god would be a magnificent patron indeed, although out of familial sentiment I must ask if the temple could not be restored to Poseidon rather than Neptune? Besides, a greek god is so much more fitting than a Latin interloper.

I would love to visit Tana, although I fear it is too far out of the way of the tribunal for me to wish to make my home there permanently. Aegea has a similar problem, although in that case it is more the environment which deters visitors. Speaking of where, I had a visitor a fortnight ago - Lucien the Scholar came by. He was good enough to admire my small piece on Kryses' recent defeat of the stringla preying on our local village, which gratified us both greatly. He suggested I recite it at the next Ceremony of Propitiation, but I think it needs a little more polishing before then. I had been also thinking of composing something on your own journey - the gorgon lairing within the regio seems an excellent potential subject, although we must consider the influence of the tale upon it. [The letter sidetracks into Calliope's understanding of the influence of stories on the nature of fae.]

Calliope

[OOC: Calliope is somewhat unusual in the Bright Ones, in not being descended of the Sidhe. The cult considered that their standards would be more than upheld, however, by the inclusion of one in whose veins the blood of the Greek gods flowed. Exactly which Greek god, Calliope is usually somewhat cagey about, and a common deducation is that it's one with a spouse whose attention she doesn't want to attract. The other main clue is her considerable musical ability, to the extent of her naming herself after one of the muses upon gauntletting.

Viola remembers that Kryses was the patron of Calliope's covenant. She hasn't got a clue what a Stringla is.]

Sodalis Calliope,

Tremere have interest in us here? This could be complicated. They usually behave well, but you don't know what they're doing. I think I have to watch the small one.

I thought about Poseidon, yes. But I learned that Poseidon often is angry and sometimes wrecks things--the temple is ruined right now, even in the regio, because he destroyed it. Also, the Gorgon was cursed by Poseidon, and maybe she won't get along with him. I didn't see her, though, so I don't have a good story for that.

Tell me, what is the problem with Aegea? I don't know much about it.

Good to hear that Lucien likes your poem. I think you shouldn't worry much about the effect a poem will have on the fae, at least just one poem. It takes more to change things much. Well, you could change it in faerie-land, but this is another story.

Viola

[I'm not sure about the Sidhe thing--that's an Irish term, isn't it? Viola was born in a regio in England, Mercia to be precise.]

Scott

[OOC: Sidhe is a particular type of faerie blood, different from faerie god blood. My general impression is that yes, "sidhe" properly is the Irish courtly faeries, but it tends to get used for most "classical" courtly faeries.]

Sodalis Viola,

The Tremere's interests I cannot speak of with any great authority, I fear, although I shall take care to note anything I do hear of in future to send to you.

Aegea is the palace of Poseidon, although I have never heard he is present himself. The covenant have named his herald as their patron, I think. Being in Poseidon's palace it is located, as you would expect, underwater. I assume they have some way of getting around the difficulties of books, and breathing without constant warping, although I don't know any details. Almost nobody visits except Redcaps, but from their tales it is splendid, a golden palace of marble and coral, where tritons acts as the covenfolk of the magi. The faerie aura is concomitantly high, but Aquam is not one of my stronger arts.

Calliope

Sodalis Calliope,

I think wet magic I don't need to experience. Really, though, if a magic aura is high enough for your lab, there's no need to worry about a faerie aura. The one nice thing about the faerie aura is that other magi won't want that lab. On the other hand, faerie aurae and regiones have many times their own problems that must be dealt with. I have to lift a curse, and then find some way to make a dozen blind crones who kill and cook each other into useful servants, and all that is after I spent a season figuring out how to gather vis by torturing a naked man who was turned into a stone.

Viola

Scott

Sodalis Viola,

How distasteful! Still, an apt reminder of the danger of enraging the Olympians - consider the fates of Sisyphus, who sought to trick the gods, or Tantalus or Prometheus. Do you know who your man is, or his crime?

I have been thinking more on what you said about one song not being enough to affect your gorgon. What would it take, to induce her to change? What tales does she have told of her already? I do not believe I have ever heard of her myself, but of course my knowledge is incomplete.

Calliope

Sodalis Calliope,

I think that the man's crime was trying to love a woman who another man had hurt. But who knows how willing he was to go there to her?

One song could cause change..if many people sang and listened to that song. As long as most people believe she is one thing, she will be. Of course, if people maybe have forgotten her, then perhaps it would be easy to change her. Certainly, she would probably be much weaker if people don't know of her. You know, I should check with the local people to find out what legends they have.

Viola

(written Spring, 1226 to Certioari scholae Guernicus, a mid-ranking Quaesitor of the Theban Tribunal)
(written in Gaelic)

My friend,

I hope that you can forgive my long absence. The many years since we last spoke have been deeply hard on me, particularly because you and I spent so much time discussing our dreams for the future. It has been a long hard road just to get out of bed every day, and you have always been one of a very few among the Order who did not look down upon my beloved Maeve as a mere hindrance to my hermetic pursuits.

And now...it is hard enough to have lost them all, but now I must forfeit even the chance to have another daughter. The years are creeping up upon me and I must prepare to do something about it. They say the Longevity Ritual kills the spark within us that creates new life, somehow twists it to prolong our own meager lives. On the one hand, I deeply despair (oh, how I once thought I knew what those words meant!) at the thought of my line ending with me. But even harder is the thought of letting those who attacked my covenant survive unpunished.

Unfortunately, the trail has run cold and the years press in, and so I have disappeared into the wilderness on the far edge of the world -- to hone my skills and let my enemies forget about me.

It is my hope that some among the Theban Tribunal might have need or desire of the creatures of these unknown lands. Perhaps, as you have been long situated in this part of the world, you might know someone? I have heard, for example that the venom of the....

((a long digression into the Magic Lore of animal parts and pieces, and their use in hermetic wizardry)).

But what of you, Certioari? You must have half a dozen years left before you need to start worrying about Longevity Rituals. Did you ever manage to strike the balance between work and life, between seeking justice and finding love? What have you accomplished in all this time?

Your old, and long absent friend,
Patrick the Unrepentant

(written in Spring, 1226, in a Latin-based cipher. The scroll was delivered via Captain Federovski, rather than through a Redcap)

Proclus,

Sophos tells me you know of many things that may aid in my inquiries both criminal and hermetic. As I have explained to him, I am hard pressed to turn to those who have not so much as helped me locate, much less avenge, my family's murderers in six long years. Yet, for the love I bear him, I am willing to give The Brotherhood one more chance in this.

I currently reside in Nova Castra, which I use as a home base while hunting for exotic game. I am looking for buyers. Can you help me locate any?

In accordance with strict mathematical principles,
Damascius

(OOC: from Patrick to his Cult of Euclid contact)

Sodalis Viola,

The other question is, of course, what change could and should be attempted? Gorgons are by repute dreadful monsters, with snakes for hair, and a gaze that turns man to stone. I seem to recall Medusa was the only one of the three sisters who was killable, although I cannot recall the names of the other two sisters. I suppose it is possible that Halia is one of them, although I think the original gorgons were cursed by Athene rather than Poseidon. But what would you have the monster in your lair become?

How many people are there at your covenant, and surroundings, and do they all speak Latin or Greek? Do you have any musicians amongst them?

Calliope

My friend,

Do not despair. Perhaps fate will yet smile upon you, and give you another daughter. But even should that not happen, remember that our children are not our only legacies. You have many decades before you, and you can still accomplish things--perhaps even some purpose in life that you have yet to imagine.

As for me...love is an elusive thing. Offspring might be easier, but this hasn't happened yet. For now, I take pride in helping to do justice in Thebes.

Of course, exotic creatures are always in demand, but I think that you will find more buyers in the tribunals to the west--after all, such beasts are more abundant here.

Your friend,

Certiorari

Scott

Damascius,

I think that finding buyers will pose no problem, but, as you well know, who buys depends on what is being sold. Have you found any beasts in particular? Or perhaps you'd like me to find a buyer who is willing to commission you to seek a certain beast?

Proclus

Scott

Sodalis Calliope,

The people here...there are now four magi, three of them the members of the covenant, as well as some number of covenfolk. Most I think speak Latin mostly, but a few Greek, I know. Are there musicians? I think that some play instruments, but finding skilled musicians would serve us well, and make it more easy for me to study Imaginem.

You ask an interesting question about Halia. I wonder if perhaps it would be a good idea to dedicate the temple and make a change in her at the same time, since the temple destruction made her change the first time. She I think is little danger to me, though she is sad, and I dislike seeing this.

Viola

Scott

Sodalis Viola,

Perhaps a series of songs, then. Several songs depicting her as you wish her to be after a transformation, to lodge the idea. Then, shortly before you act in the temple, a song in which her transformation is described, including some key circumstances (including the actions you intend in the temple) and actions which are performed, which lead to her transformation from her current hideous form into the new, fairer one?

Lucien visited us here again last month. I asked him if he knew the name of Mudeusa's fellow gorgons, and he said they were Sthenno and Euryale, so it certainly sounds as though your gorgon is a different one. He then enquired after the context of my enquiry, and I explained about the temple and the gorgon in it I hope you do not mind! He seemed quite interested, although he too was of the opinion that re-dedicating the temple to Poseidon would be a far more fitting act than to Neptune. You must remember that we are the tribunal of the greeks - the romans took our gods, and tried to make them their own, succeeding only in the palest of imitations. Since then, the romans have invaded our homeland - the Tremere in the early days of the Order, the Franks Constantinople - and tried to impose their own customs upon us, when all that was good within them was but a lessened copy of our own. I do perhaps exaggerate, in part to warn you - if you stand before the tribunal and announce that you have dedicated the temple and patron to Neptune over Poseidon, there will be those who see it as a choosing of the Latin over the Greek.

To less depressing arguments, Lucian invited me during his stay to visit Aegea. I think he hopes seeing it might attract me to live there - I do not think that very likely, but it is possible. In any case, I am curious to see it - the legends are so fantastic, it would be an experience if nothing else. I asked him if he would have any objections to my bringing a companion, and he voiced none. Would you be interested in coming? I know you said you could live without wet magic, but if you do reconsider attempting to dedicate the temple to Poseidon, or simply want to consider the option, his son might know something? Lucian is also very learned, although sometimes a little strange.

Calliope

[OOC: there is the option for a story here. Viola is under no obligation to take it, and not doing so will leave you less informed, but not otherwise hurt. There are other potential stories later.]

Proclus,

I've located some truly impressive horses, but such creatures would best be tamed and breed, and that is a task I cannot find the time for yet. A commission would be valuable, in at least allowing me to select which strand of fables to tug on. I know little of the lore of these region, and do not yet know what sort of creatures may be found.

Have you heard, for instance, of the.....[descends into a discussion of Magic Lore].

Damascius

My friend,

It seems strange to hear you talk of procreation without first finding a partner. Was it not you who told me that children raised without a loving and disciplined hand would surely grow to be monsters?

As for me, I shall not bear children. To lay with any woman other than my Maeve is a thought unbearable. What we had was not often found in the world, and having tasted it, I cannot settle for less. No, I have but one purpose left in life.

I had not heard that such beasts were so common in Thebes. They must present a unique set of problems in the pursuit of order and justice. Do the magi of your tribunal tame them frequently?

Your friend,
Patrick the Unrepentant

If we do this, you're going to have to work with amul on the issue of Poseidon vs. Neptune.

Scott

Damascius,

I think that magical horses would certainly find willing buyers, but I must first know what kind of horses these are. Can they be tamed and ridden? How powerful are they, and what mystical abilities do they possess? Do you propose to deliver them alive, or dead?

Proclus