Covenant Building

Is the Vis source 1 pawn/year (5 pts) or 5 pawns/year (25 pts).

If the former, that would be 136 points, with 64 to go. If the latter, 156 points, with 44 to go.

Are these opals normally Magic or Faerie? (Or Magic, unless I randomly determine that the faerie tried to slip some Faerie vis past us?)

I left it up to you. Scylla warns to check the vis from the Burgh. It was normally intended to be magical but sometimes they may have some fun and put in faerie vis or, if their agreement is not kept, just a glamour. All part of the fun.

Anyone interested in getting the Warped Livestock hook? (RoP:M pg 79)

I have not tabulated everyone else's choices, so tell me if we have something redundant.

The Apprentice's Library
This is a series of books written by a particularly sarcastic and particularly powerful member of House Bonisagus. The various forwards and descriptions describe these as being perfect for apprentices or newly Gauntletted magi who had poor parens.
Magic Theory: A Primer - L8/Q11 Magic Theory
The Basics of Parma - L8/Q11 Parma Magic
How to Control Magic - L8/Q11 Finesse
Your First Look at Vim L20/Q10 Vim
How to Write Neatly L5/Q15 Profession: Scribe
Total B.P. 165

The Font of Purest Water
In the center of a long since abandoned Sanctum is a pristine fountain. Water constantly pours out from a pitcher held by a statue of a woman. The font never overflows and water cannot be withdrawn always slithering back into the font. At each Solstice and Equinox a pawn of Aq vis collects in the water. At each Equinox an additional pawn of Creo vis collects as well. Currently 20 pawns of Aq vis sit in the fountain and 5 pawns of Creo vis remain as well. There is just enough lab equipment around the fountain for a Hermetic Magus to move the vis to another object.
Total B.P. 35

That's okay...I have. :smiley:

The Magic Theory summa is a duplicate.

You mean Tractatus? (I'm not seeing any other MT Summae). No, Ironboundtome paid for two Magic Theory tractatus.

Nope

I can select something else, though. I do see I need to edit to correct the Vim Vis. 3 BP buys another 15 pawns.

Sorry, I didn't see the edits on the post (I don't normally go back and check posts for edits, so it would help me if people would post that they've edited posts, if the edits are relevant).

Don't have to change it if you don't want to, I can see us having two MT summae, especially with as many Inventive Geniuses/Puissant Lab-Rattery we have here now. :smiley:

Sorry. My bad.

We could just make a copy of one of them for our own use. Much cheaper.

We've got a lab text for the Tireless Servant listed (which is awesome) - asking if the folk with the ReCo lab total will be willing to spend seasons crating it for others?
If not, I'll buy one with my personal BPs.

Beatrix has that lab text. You could probably get more out of BP by getting Vis, enough to pay for the enchantment and to pay her to make it. Yes, her Rego being so high will make it doable in a single season, at least once we get labs set up. It only costs 4 Re/Co to make it, so 4/5 BP. Meanwhile it would costs you 8 BP to buy one. She also has an interest in earning Vis - she's going to be feeding her familiar a lot of it.

I think that was from callen's initial BP contribution, but seems to have been lost in an edit. If Beatrix (or anyone else) wants to pitch in for that, that would be nifty.

Beatrix has paid for it out of her own BP. I decided putting something so clearly necromantic into the covenant BP as opposed to what she brings didn't make as much sense.

Here are my forecast 75 BP for Beatrix:

12: 6x Things of Virtue (Amber, Basalt, Magnet, Magnetite, Mercury, Silver - all planned, along with many seasons of work, for her Talisman. Not sure doing that with silver is really valid since it ends up being worked for jewelry.)
35: 25x each Technique and 5x each Form Vis
8: Lab Text (Lesser Enchanted Device) - The Tireless Servant [ReCo40]
10: Lab Text (Spell) - Aegis of the Hearth [ReVi50]
5: Lab Text (Spell) - Suppressing the Wizardโ€™s Handiwork [ReVi25]
5: Lab Text (Spell) - Divide the Gathered Essence [ReVi25]

The last three will be put in the library ASAP, so we can add them to the covenant's list right now. The Tireless Servant could certainly be added, though at the moment I figure she's the most likely to have a high enough ReCo lab total and she would be happy to build them for Vis so she can feed her familiar. I also figure I'll want to move some Vis around a little; for example, Beatrix will want to pay someone to cast a ritual to create her living quarters/lab. That could be the spell from ArM5 or the one PG mentioned using Herbam. Anyone who's good at Creo Herbal/Terram considering taking a tower spell? You'll earn a little vis for a few hours of work right off the bat from Beatrix.

Can we really spend half of our 75 starting BP to get 300ish vis?

Also, what's the advantage to having a Thing of Virtue as part of your talisman?

I think you miscounted. Spending You would have to spend 60 BP to get 300.

If you have a high enough Int + Magic Lore and spend a season, you can enrich a Thing of Virtue. This is useless to Hermetic magi unless part of their Talisman because even 0 magic resistance stops it, as does any Aegis of the Hearth that resists it. To include it in your Talisman you must have enriched it yourself. See RoP:M 124-128.

Yes, I did miscalculate. Let me rephrase:

We can really spend half our starting BP to begin with 200ish vis? That's really good.

Wow ... that's just ... wow.

So for a little effort enriching these items, you can get six additional Virtues? Amazing. I'm going to have to seriously rethink starting with my talisman already made. I can't think why anyone else would do differently.

How do you figure out what Virtues your Things of Virtue grant?

I was only sticking to things explicitly listed in RoP:M. I don't think the silver will actually work. Also, it costs experience plus BP plus a season, plus you may limit the items in your Talisman. For example, I really want to fit Necromancy in as a possible attunement. Meanwhile, there are other ways to get things such as Mystery Initiations, which give more options. So I can think of plenty of reasons to go other directions.