Covenant Building

You just have to take WC with a duration of Sun and it can be used on anything.

I House Ruled that the Mercere's free WC was of the Sun duration variety.

It is good to have. Beatrix won't be able to use it well, unfortunately, since the books are all bound to have R: Voice. That was a pretty hefty Minor Flaw I took for her. Of course, it doesn't affect anything she invents since she just avoids inventing anything at R: Voice. Also, in her case she'll want to invent something in the MuVi40 region to get a lot more benefit out of it. I've been thinking of both a R: Touch version and a R: Sight version. Anyway, that's for not-too-distant future lab plans.

I would be content to say that, as long as you start the spell that's being Communioned before the end of the next turn, that locks the Wizard's Communion in place and it is in effect for as long as it takes to cast the spell. This is in keeping with the house rull on renewing long-lasting spells and with the intent of the spell as written. It can be justified by the fact that "it does not perfectly fit into the guidelines of Hermetic theory." (It also cuts down on unnecessary maths.)

Any idea what this 5 pawns per year Vim Vis Source would be?

How about:

The vis is harvested annually from a local standing stone site known as the Rocks of Slow Gogmagog. The stones have two primary stones standing twice and equal to a man in height, and many other smaller stones around them a few feet tall.
Legend speaks of a giant and a man fighting for their lives amongst a court of mischievous observers, which the rocks represent.
To harvest the vis, two people must walk in opposite concentric circles around the two largest stones, a hand placed on their stone. When the walkers face each other they slap their hands on each other, after the clash a third person should clap while sitting on a smaller stone. It takes five bouts to harvest the vis, which drops as pellets of stone blood.
Edit: the rationale is the legend of a man who slew a giant here, and the blood was harvested; but now with the ceremony is vim instead.

As near as I can tell, we're still waiting on contributions from:

• Cannonball
  • Emelric
  • Ironboundtome (partial: 44/200)
  • Jebrick (partial: 175/200)
  • Jonathan.Link
  • Senji
  • and Wits (partial: 50/200).

Unless I missed something again.

I have to adjust now that I've redone several seasons past apprenticeship. Things won't change too much. I'll get through it tomorrow.

Edit: Lost internet yesterday. Will update soon.

Is anyone going to start with Conjuring the Mystic Tower? If not, Beatrix will bring a lab text for it. Given two seasons of study, one in Creo and one in Terram, she should be able to learn the spell from a lab text and cast it successfully under relaxed conditions.

I've adjusted Beatrix's BP some based on the changes to advancing her post-gauntlet. I'm assuming no one has Conjuring the Mystic Tower nor the Herbam version from the old saga. I still expect her to donate all of her personal lab texts for spells to the covenant library.

Her personal 75 BP:

10: 5x Objects of Virtue (Amber, Basalt, Magnet, Magnetite, Mercury)
2: Item of Quality (Wand)

21: 10x each Technique, 5x each Form Vis, and 5 more Terram Vis

8: Lab Text (Lesser Enchanted Device) – The Tireless Servant [ReCo40]

3: Lab Text (Spell) - Endurance of the Berserkers [ReCo15]
6: Lab Text (Spell) - Tytalus's Prison [ReCo30]
7: Lab Text (Spell) - Conjuring the Mystic Tower [CrTe35]
1: Lab Text (Spell) – The Invisible Glass-Worker [ReTe4]
3: Lab Text (Spell) – The Spell of Wrought Iron [ReTe15]
4: Lab Text (Spell) – The Phantom Blacksmith [ReTe20]
5: Lab Text (Spell) – Divide the Gathered Essence [ReVi25]
5: Lab Text (Spell) - Suppressing the Wizard's Handiwork [ReVi25]

200 BP for the covenant:

34: L7, Q13 Concentration summa
26: L4, Q14 Spell Mastery: Aegis of the Hearth 50 summa

30: 3x Q10 Rego tractatus
30: 3x Q10 Vim tractatus

3: Lab Text (Spell) - Wizard's Leap [ReCo15]
6: Lab Text (Spell) - Seven-League Stride [ReCo30]
7: Lab Text (Spell) - The Leap of Homecoming [ReCo35]
5: Lab Text (Spell) - Thoughts Within Babble [InMe25]
4: Lab Text (Spell) - Piercing the Divine Veil [InVi20]
4: Lab Text (Spell) - Piercing the Faerie Veil [InVi20]
4: Lab Text (Spell) - Piercing the Infernal Veil [InVi20]
4: Lab Text (Spell) - Piercing the Magical Veil [InVi20]
8: Lab Text (Spell) - Sight of the Active Magics [InVi40]
3: Lab Text (Spell) - Gather the Essence of the Beast [ReVi15]
5: Lab Text (Spell) - Opening the Intangible Tunnel [ReVi25]
10: Lab Text (Spell) – Aegis of the Hearth [ReVi50]

12: 4 Pawns of Vis of each Art
2: another 10 Pawns of Corpus Vis
3: another 15 Pawns of Vim Vis

No one's mentioned bringing or knowing Conjuring the Mystic Tower. Eilid doesn't know Cabin of Earthen Wood (casting that was always Drystan's thing), but she could learn it if she needed to.

That'll be true for Gavin as well.

Right, so...

Within a small clearing in the forests a riotous growth of Snowbells can be found at the end of winter. If harvested after the Spring Equinox then 3 pawns of Herbam vis can be found in the tepals and 5 pawns of Creo in the bulbs. Be careful however not to disturb the seeds or there won't be as many snowbells next year.

Once a year, in November, shooting stars are seen in the sky (the Leonids). Every year a small star falls to earth near the covenant, usually impacting upon the Aegis and running along it to fall near the shore or in the comparatively shallow loch-edge. The resultant lump of hard metal contains 6 pawns of Rego vis and 2 of Terram.

A cave on the shore on the far side of the loch has a crack that descends an unknown distance into the earth. Foul smells effeminate from this crack and if a large jar of water is left near the crack then over the course of a season the water will become suffused with the smell and one pawn each of Auram and Imaginem vis. (4 Au, 4 Im per year).

and 6 pawns of Animal vis for the Niseag eggs.

[150 points of vis sources]

Lab Texts for:

Eyes of the Bat [InAu25]
Sense the Feet that Tread the Earth [InTe30]

[11 points of lab texts]

Books:

Penetration Summa: L5 Q12 "Subtle Knives"
Artes Lib Tractatus: Q10 "Posterior Analytics" by Aristotle

[38 points of books]

Vis Stocks: 5 points of terram.

[1 point of Vis]

In addition Dusan will bring and donate a book containing a lab text for
A Simple Method for Rapid Vallation [CrTe35] (True Lineages 141)
and a summa on the spell mastery of the above L3 Q15
[31 points of personal; the rest still to be determined]

Here are my contributions.

Books (110 BPs)
Herbam summa (L10/Q7) Musings of a Hermetic Woodsman
Corpus summa (L20/Q10) Blood, bones, and organs - how magic affects them
Magic Lore tractatus (Q10) Aquatic members of the magical animal kingdom
Philosophiae tractatus (Q10) Summary of Aristotle's Physics
Divine Lore summa (L3/Q10) The Saints of Scotland
Code of Hermes summa (L4/Q10) Peripheral rulings of the Loch Leglean Tribunal

Vis Sources (90 BPs)
5 p Vim + 3 p Intellego / year
At a certain stretch of the Loch's northern shore, about 3 hours walk to the northeast of the covenant, the shallow water is crystal clear - a stark contrast with the murkiness for which the Loch is known. It is said that, ages ago, the head of a seeress was thrown into the water here, after her prophecies offended the petty chieftain whom she served. The chieftain also lost his head soon thereafter, as the seeress had predicted. Now, on the longest day of the year, 5 orbs of clear glass wash ashore, each of which is a pawn of Vim vis, and three blue eyes also wash ashore, each of which is a pawn of Intellego vis.

5 p Corpus + 5 p Rego / year
Within a forest to the west of the covenant, a distinctive shrub can be found. Black thorns contrast its paper-thin, pale bark that flakes off readily, exposing the blood-red sap flowing beneath. Its leaves vary in color from black, to brown, to auburn, to blond. For most of the year, the shrub lies dormant. But in the Autumn, it awakens and becomes aware of its surroundings. In this state, it waits for its preferred sustenance to arrive: hapless wanderers. Once it senses a human, it takes control of the victim's body, bringing them near to become entangled in its thorny branches. The victim is slowly shredded to speed the release of nutrients into the ground. After the shrub has fed, it reverts to the dormant state and grows beef tomato-like fruit. Its sap may be safely siphoned for 5 pawns of Corpus vis, and the fruit collected for 5 pawns of Rego vis.

Wow, that last one came out especially morbid. Maybe I should cut back on the meat at dinner.

I'll also post some suggestions for boons and hooks tomorrow.

That's actually 37 points of books: (5x3)+12 = 27 for the Penetration, and 10 for the Artes Liberales.

I'm getting 198 points total. I put what I'm getting as the cost for the books within the quote above, as I think that might be where it is.

Right, head math error. Let's increase the quality of the Herbam summa to 9.

Here are suggestions for additional boons and hooks:

Major Boons
Exceptional Book: The covenant owns a copy of the finest summa written on the Art of Perdo (Level 20 / Quality 15)

Minor Hooks
Public Vis Source (External Relations): Any foe with access to the Peripheral Code can learn the location and the precise method of harvesting of one or more of the covenant's vis sources.

Refugee (Residents): A nobleman/woman has come to the covenant after being displaced by a usurper (which may or may not be known to the magi). The refugee has useful skills, and may aid the magi, but will eventually attempt to retake their lost possessions (and will presumably solicit the magi for help).

Fallen Temple (Surroundings): Pictish druids used a subterranean complex near the covenant for their magical training and as a place of worship. The site has not been secured, so what lies within is unknown.

Yes. Clearly I can't add up. Put the extra point into another 5 pawns of terram vis.

As near as I can tell, here's what I'm lacking on the 200/player covenant build points.

• 44 pts from Ironboundtome,
  • 175 pts from Jebrick,
  • 200 pts from Jonathan.Link, and
  • 50 pts from Wits.

Also, you can still throw out Boons and Hooks until I close the thread.

Once we get the covenant itself finalized, I'll start throwing out preludes for whoever wants them, and the refounding the covenant stuff.

I am working on mine.

My last 44 are spells:

• [7] Lab Text (Spell) - Haunt of the Living Ghost (CrIm/In 35)
  • [1] Lab Text (spell) - Circle of Undisturbed Rest (ReIm 5)
  • [2] Lab Text (Spell) - Exactly to Scale (ReAq/Me 10)
  • [6] Lab Text (spell) - Master's Message (ReVi 30 gen)
  • [4] Lab Text (spell) - Ambush in the Deserted Road (PeIm 20)
  • [5] Lab Text (spell) - Wizard's Expansion (Corpus)(MuVi 25 Gen)
  • [5] Lab Text (spell) - The Patient Spell (ReVi 25 Gen)
  • [3] Lab Text (spell) - Woolen Steed of Araby (ReAn 15)
  • [6] Lab Text (spell) - Vessel of the Clouds (ReHe 30)
  • [5] Lab Text (spell) - To See as Through a Plethron Distant (InIm 25)