Covenant Development: General Discussion

Everything you say makes me rethink my previous options. XD

Difficult Access seems more interesting to me than Natural Fortress (but that's just personal opinion), and easier to justify. Besides a Terram magus, it could also be justifiable with an Aquam magus who gifted us an item to enchant the currents around the island to make them angrier? Maybe Ronan's master?

Folk witches in Athlone gains a +1 from me.

Nice to have the courts overview. I'm already in love with the Goblin Market.
If we do go with Fosterage I'd suggest an heir of either the Goblin Market or the High Court, because it seems too clear (to me at least) that Inchmore is under the River Court "jurisdiction", so to speak. Us housing a member of another court:

• is natural, since the River Court is neutral. We would be seen as a "safe ground" by the father/mother.
  • is bound to put the three courts in conflict, with us in the middle.

As for names I like Goblin Market and River Court, but I'd name the seelie one High Circle (as in circle of stones) or Stone Hall... or something lofty. Idk.

I have a suggestion for a small Hedge Tradition group that has attached itself actually to the Covenant that would fit this idea.

A group of norse runecasters with divinatory/prophetic magic. They could practice Spadomur and/or Threads of Fate (both from Rival Magic, pg 97 and pg 100 respectively) as their primary magical abilities as a tradition, perhaps with a healthy dose of Premonitions, Second Sight, and Visions. It could use fleshing out but essentially a divination focused hedge tradition is the concept.

Perhaps they came on their own, spurred by vision/prophecy in some way, to align themselves with the Covenant while it was being founded.

Would that be too much for "a local tradition of minor practitioners of magic" who "provide
useful information about their activities to the covenant, and aid it in minor ways"?

What about a modified folk witch tradition with Premonitions and maybe one other virtue (I'm roughly mimicking the Orleans Witches from HM, who have two initiation scripts)? They could be based on a norse tradition. You'd eventually want to tie them to the origin of the covenant's cathach, I assume?

I'm suggesting Premonitions because it's weak enough to count as "a minor tradition that helps in minor ways", but still strong enough that if there are 5 seers in Athlone and 4 of them dream of the city in flames 1 week from now, we better investigate that.

Spadomur is a bit more flexible in the scope of the divination (since it can be controlled), but more limited in time (questions must refer to the present). Threads of Fate is limited to the caster. Both useful for the one who has them, but not so much for the covenant.

Maybe the leader of the group could have a more powerful form of divination, and perhaps even the Gift?

I was pondering the potential for using Lesser Craft Magic to allow the creation of a device that would let Threads of Fate affect someone else. But regardless! I think for now I'll let everyone discuss if there is actually any potential desire/need for an associated Hedge Tradition and what type it might be that is actually affiliated with the Covenant in some way.

I haven't deeply delved into this idea but it intrigues me and seems like something that could help bring the Hibernian flavor to the fore.

1 Like

I think my biggest worry is that we have some magi set up to negotiate, I believe. If we start with lots of Faerie and hedge allies, it would seem to diminish what they might accomplish. A few people with Visions or Premonitions on their own isn’t so much.

I’ll have to look at Threads of Fate. I do have Lesser Craft Magic.

Note: There is currently no attempt to balance these numbers. I feel no compunction to make it all even out. However I am very open to proposals/ideas to modify anything/everything. And I suppose upon review ... at a total of -10, if we did want to balance it all out we actually have points to spend.

Overall Total: -10

Site (Sub-total: +5)

Aura: Major x 1, Minor x 2: +5

The broader Magic Aura of the Covenant is +5, with this level of Aura generally reaching to the boundaries of the Ringwork. This level of Aura has been shockingly fast in developing since the Covenant has been founded, magic started being done here, and the mystical caves rediscovered. The caves beneath the Covenant were magical when discovered while the rest of the Island was dominated by Faerie at that point. Now the +5 Aura has grown and spread and the caves have grown to +6. This level of +6 has additionally spread to encompass anywhere a Sanctum and Lab has been built and the grove and circle where the Oath Stone is maintained. It is clear that "wild" pre-hermetic magic was done in the caves since ancient times and is resurging on Inchmore with the very real possibility of both growing/expanding further and unpredictable results in the future.

Difficult Access: Minor: +1

As a somewhat difficult to land upon, but not impossible, island within a sizable lake Inchmore is naturally somewhat more difficult to access and correspondingly easier to defend.

Healthy Feature: Minor x 2: +2

Inchmore is largely secluded in a pristine natural environment with abundant fresh water while being removed and upstream from the polluting influences of even the otherwise nearby city of Athlone.

Vivid Environment: Minor: +1

Lough Ree is beautiful and Inchmore Island isn't half bad itself. The environment of the Covenant is intrinsically pleasant, majestic even. These qualities have if anything only started to intensify with the spread of the influence of Magic in the area.

Road: Major: -3

The eastern shores of the Lough Ree are an existing entry point to a Faerie Trod network that has connections throughout much of Connacht and to the Faerie High Road Trods that connect more broadly out to the rest of Hibernia. These Faerie Trods/Roads provide a mystical move of rapid transit throughout the Tribunal/Isle. With this spot forming roughly the center of Hibernia and this greater system of Trods, Inchmore sees an unusually high volume of mystical traffic nearby.

Road: Minor: -1

The River Shannon is one of the primary mundane trade networks of Hibernia and Inchmore Island is on that route. Additionally Athlone is a center of trade throughout Hibernia both on the river and on the east/west road. This is very near Inchmore and people sometimes travel one route before changing for the other (river to road, or road to river) based on their travel needs. Inchmore thus, despite being semi-secluded on the island, has an unusually high volume of mundane traffic nearby.

Fortifications (Sub-total: -2)

Island: Free: 0

Inchmore Island on Lough Ree is the site of the main body of the Covenant.

Manor House: Free: 0

The core residence of the Magi and repository of Covenant resources is a sizable and impressive Manor House on Inchmore Island.

Ringwork: Free: 0

A sturdy ringwork encloses the Manor House and most of the additional Covenant infrastructure buildings, being large enough to contain a small to middling size village.

Edifice: Minor: +1

The Manor House is of obvious quality stone construction and is massive. It makes a clear statement of wealth and power to even the casual observer passing by on the lake/river or shoreside.

Important Building: Quay & Gatehouse: Minor: +1

This structure is similarly impressive, if somewhat less aesthetic, to the Manor and forms the keystone of any initial mundane defense of the island. Given the difficulty of landing on the island and the hardened defense this constitutes on exactly landing, this fortification is disproportionately effective and impressive to observers.

Castle: Major: -3

Strictly speaking Inchmore does not have a Castle. It does however have sizable defenses which make it very well fortified as an island, espcially against mundane attempts to land on the island. For this reason it could attract similar degrees of attention and concern as a Castle despite not being similar grade of full fortification.

Outbuildings: Minor: -1

There are several buildings that are part of the Covenant infrastructure that are outside of the ringworks.

Resources (Sub-total: +2)

Hidden Resources: Minor x 3: +3

This is intended to reflect three distinct sources of further resources/benefit to the Covenant that are as yet untapped and/or undiscovered.

• Wild & Ancient Magic: The Caves of Inchmore an the rapidly expanding Aura plainly indicate something about the magical nature of the island. What however remains anything but understood.
  • Ruins of Praesis: Praesis was not on Inchmore Island but it was nearby somewhat north of Lough Ree, near the Shannon. The ruins of this Covenant are in no way fully explored or tapped for magical potential or resources.
  • Undisclosed: There is another source in my head canon that I'm not divulging.
Vis Salary: Minor: -1

The Charter of Inchmore requires Covenant Service on a regular/consistent basis, and in particular requires meeting those obligations in order to receive the share of vis due a member in good standing.

Residents (Sub-total: -3)

Sailors: Free: 0

There are a fair number of boaters and sailors among those now in residence in the Covenant. Additionally the Crannogmen are fisherman to a man, and so all are skilled on the water.

Distorted Covenfolk: Minor: -1

The Crannogmen are deeply touched by Faerie and this both obvious and long known in the surrounding area.

Fosterage: Minor: -1

To Be Determined.
I don't want to pre-define this as much as say that as we develop our knowledge and relationships with the three Faerie Courts that this is a situation that is very likely to happen in establishing positive relations with one of them.

Gender Imbalance: Minor: -1

Almost all of the Covenfolk imported for the founding of the Covenant are men.

External Relationships (Sub-total: -5)

Ungoverned: Minor: +1

Ireland is not a unified kingdom. Inchmore lies, purposefully, in territory that falls into the border lands of more than one current Irish kingdom, and more than one English Lord besides. Inchmore thus exists in a place where there is no absolutely dominant power (such as England) with clear dominion, like much of the rest of Hibernia.

Beholden: Major: -3

Inchmore was founded with the overt and express backing of a coalition of Hibernian Covenants that sought to "preserve the old ways" as refound a new Covenant to serve the function of former Praesis. The core of this Coalition remains the Covenants of Circulus Ruber, Vigil, and Lombaird. They have aided extensively in the construction and outfitting of the Covenant itself and expect political returns on their investment. They feel owed by Inchmore and expect favors in return, much less for Inchmore to remain deeply loyal to the Hibernian cause for which it was founded.

Rival: Major: -3

Ballack of Tytalus and his compatriots are not gone. They simply fled the combined might of the Coalition, abandoned Praesis, and relocated to Ashenrise. They continue to loudly proclaim Praesis to have been rightfully theirs as a spoil of lawful war. In no uncertain terms these older Magi resent the founding of Inchmore and would dearly love to see it fail and be out of their way. If it can be arranged without drawing direct confrontation with the Coaltion they will eagerly participate.

Surroundings (Sub-total: -9)

Minority: Minor: +1

The Crannogmen of Inchmore are definitely a minority and do not fit in well with mundane society in general.

City: Major: -3

Athlone is next door, sharing the lake even. While it never sought to exert great influence over Inchmore island the lands were nominally English prior to Inchmore Covenant being founded. The Coaltion has completely disrupted that as they came in and constructed Inchmore with a heavy hand. Now that the Coalition has returned to their homes it remains to Inchmore Covenant to find a new relationship with Athlone.

Ruined Covenant: Major: -3

The ruins of Praesis are very nearby and very fresh. And very unknown.

Legendary Site: Minor: -1

In being founded to renew the former function of Praesis in the Tribunal, Inchmore now replaces it as the point of exchange/dialogue between the Druids/Coill and the Order. Additionally it is now the location which polite Hermetics seeking to enter Connacht are expected to call on prior to crossing the border. All of this being part of the intended function of the Covenant. And all of this prior to the discovery of the ancient Oath Stone. The Oath Stone, both what it symbolizes and what it makes possible, has if anything greatly amplified this anticipation of a role for the Covenant as a center for diplomacy and deal making within the magical world of Hibernia. Can Inchmore live up to these expectations?

Faerie Court: Minor x 3: -3

There are three Faerie Courts with which Inchmore will need to most directly have relations. None of these relationships have been really established at this point.

• The Goblin Market, of Athlone
  • The River Court, of the Shannon
  • The High Circle, of Meadhbh
2 Likes

Looking good to me! Wouldn't say no to an Exceptional Book or two, but that's just me :wink:

1 Like

I was surprised not to see any Fortification stuff there, but then I noted that several are lumped in with Site stuff. I may have lost track of some stuff. Do we have neither Ringwork nor some sort of Keep? I feel like the Castle is lacking its castle.

Sorry guys. Preparing and packing to move and having some long days. I may have been up rather late trying to finish this before I went to bed. By which I mean I totally was, and was apparently tired enough to not properly categorize everything by the time I was done. :sweat_smile:

I'll take another look (and properly categorize) everything soon. Once we finish hammering this out and make any resulting decisions I'll make a final copy and consider any Covenant descriptive/fluff text that needs revised. However I think the overall description of everything (each boon/hook) is still more or less accurate and the values are correct? (I may have been tired enough for that to be wrong as well, but I hope not.)

1 Like

Note: There is currently no attempt to balance these numbers. I feel no compunction to make it all even out. However I am very open to proposals/ideas to modify anything/everything. And I suppose upon review ... at a total of -10, if we did want to balance it all out we actually have points to spend.

Overall Total: -12

Site (Sub-total: +5)

Aura: Major x 1, Minor x 2: +5

The broader Magic Aura of the Covenant is +5, with this level of Aura generally reaching to the boundaries of the Ringwork. This level of Aura has been shockingly fast in developing since the Covenant has been founded, magic started being done here, and the mystical caves rediscovered. The caves beneath the Covenant were magical when discovered while the rest of the Island was dominated by Faerie at that point. Now the +5 Aura has grown and spread and the caves have grown to +6. This level of +6 has additionally spread to encompass anywhere a Sanctum and Lab has been built and the grove and circle where the Oath Stone is maintained. It is clear that "wild" pre-hermetic magic was done in the caves since ancient times and is resurging on Inchmore with the very real possibility of both growing/expanding further and unpredictable results in the future.

Difficult Access: Minor: +1

As a somewhat difficult to land upon, but not impossible, island within a sizable lake Inchmore is naturally somewhat more difficult to access and correspondingly easier to defend.

Healthy Feature: Minor x 2: +2

Inchmore is largely secluded in a pristine natural environment with abundant fresh water while being removed and upstream from the polluting influences of even the otherwise nearby city of Athlone.

Vivid Environment: Minor: +1

Lough Ree is beautiful and Inchmore Island isn't half bad itself. The environment of the Covenant is intrinsically pleasant, majestic even. These qualities have if anything only started to intensify with the spread of the influence of Magic in the area.

Road: Major: -3

The eastern shores of the Lough Ree are an existing entry point to a Faerie Trod network that has connections throughout much of Connacht and to the Faerie High Road Trods that connect more broadly out to the rest of Hibernia. These Faerie Trods/Roads provide a mystical move of rapid transit throughout the Tribunal/Isle. With this spot forming roughly the center of Hibernia and this greater system of Trods, Inchmore sees an unusually high volume of mystical traffic nearby.

Road: Minor: -1

The River Shannon is one of the primary mundane trade networks of Hibernia and Inchmore Island is on that route. Additionally Athlone is a center of trade throughout Hibernia both on the river and on the east/west road. This is very near Inchmore and people sometimes travel one route before changing for the other (river to road, or road to river) based on their travel needs. Inchmore thus, despite being semi-secluded on the island, has an unusually high volume of mundane traffic nearby.

Fortifications (Sub-total: -1)

Island: Free: 0

Inchmore Island on Lough Ree is the site of the main body of the Covenant.

Manor House: Free: 0

The core residence of the Magi and repository of Covenant resources is a sizable and impressive Manor House on Inchmore Island.

Ringwork: Free: 0

A sturdy ringwork encloses the Manor House and most of the additional Covenant infrastructure buildings, being large enough to contain a small to middling size village.

Edifice: Minor: +1

The Manor House is of obvious quality stone construction and is massive. It makes a clear statement of wealth and power to even the casual observer passing by on the lake/river or shoreside.

Important Building: Quay & Gatehouse: Minor x 2: +2

These structures are similarly impressive, if somewhat less aesthetic, to the Manor. The Quay and Gatehouse are both stone and solid construction. The Quay is larger than the fishing industry of the island needs and can support actual ships in number beyond those the Covenant currently possesses. The Gatehouse forms the keystone of any initial mundane defense of the island. Given the difficulty of landing on the island and the hardened defense this constitutes on exactly landing, this fortification is both disproportionately effective and impressive to observers.

Castle: Major: -3

Strictly speaking Inchmore does not have a Castle. It does however have sizable defenses which make it very well fortified as an island, espcially against mundane attempts to land on the island. For this reason it could attract similar degrees of attention and concern as a Castle despite not being similar grade of full fortification.

Outbuildings: Minor: -1

There are several buildings that are part of the Covenant infrastructure that are outside of the ringworks.

Resources (Sub-total: +2)

Hidden Resources: Minor x 3: +3

This is intended to reflect three distinct sources of further resources/benefit to the Covenant that are as yet untapped and/or undiscovered.

• Wild & Ancient Magic: The Caves of Inchmore an the rapidly expanding Aura plainly indicate something about the magical nature of the island. What however remains anything but understood.
  • Ruins of Praesis: Praesis was not on Inchmore Island but it was nearby somewhat north of Lough Ree, near the Shannon. The ruins of this Covenant are in no way fully explored or tapped for magical potential or resources.
  • Undisclosed: There is another source in my head canon that I'm not divulging.
Vis Salary: Minor: -1

The Charter of Inchmore requires Covenant Service on a regular/consistent basis, and in particular requires meeting those obligations in order to receive the share of vis due a member in good standing.

Residents (Sub-total: -3)

Sailors: Free: 0

There are a fair number of boaters and sailors among those now in residence in the Covenant. Additionally the Crannogmen are fisherman to a man, and so all are skilled on the water.

Distorted Covenfolk: Minor: -1

The Crannogmen are deeply touched by Faerie and this both obvious and long known in the surrounding area.

Fosterage: Minor: -1

To Be Determined.
I don't want to pre-define this as much as say that as we develop our knowledge and relationships with the three Faerie Courts that this is a situation that is very likely to happen in establishing positive relations with one of them.

Gender Imbalance: Minor: -1

Almost all of the Covenfolk imported for the founding of the Covenant are men.

External Relationships (Sub-total: -5)

Ungoverned: Minor: +1

Ireland is not a unified kingdom. Inchmore lies, purposefully, in territory that falls into the border lands of more than one current Irish kingdom, and more than one English Lord besides. Inchmore thus exists in a place where there is no absolutely dominant power (such as England) with clear dominion, like much of the rest of Hibernia.

Beholden: Major: -3

Inchmore was founded with the overt and express backing of a coalition of Hibernian Covenants that sought to "preserve the old ways" as refound a new Covenant to serve the function of former Praesis. The core of this Coalition remains the Covenants of Circulus Ruber, Vigil, and Lombaird. They have aided extensively in the construction and outfitting of the Covenant itself and expect political returns on their investment. They feel owed by Inchmore and expect favors in return, much less for Inchmore to remain deeply loyal to the Hibernian cause for which it was founded.

Rival: Major: -3

Ballack of Tytalus and his compatriots are not gone. They simply fled the combined might of the Coalition, abandoned Praesis, and relocated to Ashenrise. They continue to loudly proclaim Praesis to have been rightfully theirs as a spoil of lawful war. In no uncertain terms these older Magi resent the founding of Inchmore and would dearly love to see it fail and be out of their way. If it can be arranged without drawing direct confrontation with the Coaltion they will eagerly participate.

Surroundings (Sub-total: -9)

Minority: Minor: +1

The Crannogmen of Inchmore are definitely a minority and do not fit in well with mundane society in general.

City: Major: -3

Athlone is next door, sharing the lake even. While it never sought to exert great influence over Inchmore island the lands were nominally English prior to Inchmore Covenant being founded. The Coaltion has completely disrupted that as they came in and constructed Inchmore with a heavy hand. Now that the Coalition has returned to their homes it remains to Inchmore Covenant to find a new relationship with Athlone.

Ruined Covenant: Major: -3

The ruins of Praesis are very nearby and very fresh. And very unknown.

Legendary Site: Minor: -1

In being founded to renew the former function of Praesis in the Tribunal, Inchmore now replaces it as the point of exchange/dialogue between the Druids/Coill and the Order. Additionally it is now the location which polite Hermetics seeking to enter Connacht are expected to call on prior to crossing the border. All of this being part of the intended function of the Covenant. And all of this prior to the discovery of the ancient Oath Stone. The Oath Stone, both what it symbolizes and what it makes possible, has if anything greatly amplified this anticipation of a role for the Covenant as a center for diplomacy and deal making within the magical world of Hibernia. Can Inchmore live up to these expectations?

Faerie Court: Minor x 3: -3

There are three Faerie Courts with which Inchmore will need to most directly have relations. None of these relationships have been really established at this point.

• The Goblin Market, of Athlone
  • The River Court, of the Shannon
  • The High Circle, of Meadhbh

I messed up some formatting in the first attempt, and that threw everything off.

In the end, hooks provide stories. A few of those create the same kind of stories (and sometimes, for the same reasons) so I'd say it's not proper to select them together.

Vivid Environment is narrative, unless we are using governance rules. What's its actual effect for us (even if narrative only)?
Road: Major and the 3 Faerie Courts + Fosterage bring similar kinds of stories. We could pick, perhaps, one or the other. Road does have a larger implication, so perhaps make Road: Major worth 4 points to account for the immediate courtly involvement + the occasional faerie from further away?

Castle: I tought we were leaning to make it not a castle, on the grounds that we have no army and no easy way (at the moment) to actually transform Inchmore into an effective garrison?
City, below, already expresses mundane interest in a deep way. To me, Castle implicates we are going to see that escalate into military conflict. Is that intended? (I'm not against it.)
If we don't pick Castle, Important Buildings and Outbuildings would mean nothing, I believe.

Distorted Covenfolk: Since so many of the covenfolk have ties into faerie, we could also pick Useful Curse to make that more explicit. Maybe double down on Ronan's background (@Nithyn, you have stakes on this) and give a sizeable amount of them Faerie Blood or Strong Faerie Blood (Undine)?
Gender Imbalance is only relevant if the surrounding people think we are likely to bring trouble due to the higher than average amount of men (and if this actually creates stories). Personally, I don't think it's necessary or worthwhile, nut maybe you have something planned on that direction?

Ungoverned: city brings stories of nobles from the city wanting to rule us. Ungoverned offsets that by making these nobles weaker, fragmented, and giving them rivals. Is that the gist of it? Just wanting to confirm, as it might be relevant to Atheus.
Beholden and Rival partially overlap. Maybe replace Beholden with Favors?

Minority: not sure the Crannogmen quite qualify. But see my "useful curse" proposal above.
At the bottom of it, I think Minority is meant to imply a group that doesn't quite fit elsewere, and therefore, we can have their undivided support and loyalty if we play our cards right... But the Cragnnomen wouldn't go elsewere even if we play our cards wrong, would they?

I think Road: Major is being underestimated here perhaps in that it is more inclusive than just Faerie involvement, and is a different sort of involvement. It means we have random travelers, traveler type problems (like ... we are on a road where there are supernatural bandits preying on supernatural travelers, oh my), and that this is on our doorstep whether we want it or not due to location.

The Faerie Courts + Fosterage are instead tying us into political and social entanglements with these Faeries, again due to location, but in a different way and with different sorts of stories I imagine. This is overtly going to be having to balance our involvement with the three courts, their balance of power in the region/Tribunal, and how they see the Covenant and the Order in general.

Castle doesn't necessarily mean that we expect (or want) stories about mundane conflict, but it does open it as a possibility. It means we have significant enough fortification to concern mundanes and that we will have their interest immediately. We will not be able to pretend to just be say a farming village or monastery or what have you. In this context I see it as precluding us pretending to be anything other than what we are, and having to openly deal with any mundane attention from that. But also ... giving the benefits of a Castle/fortification, which after thinking about it I think we largely have if in a somewhat more limited way?

City isn't just about the rulers of the city wanting to exert influence, though I do see it as including that to whatever extent the rulers of Athlone think they can get away with. The Crannogmen and Priory were I imagine insignificant enough to be largely ignored. Inchmore Covenant is much more significant and on their doorstep. However it is expressly a hook setting us up for conflict with the city, it just generally reflective of the being tied into the activities and conflict of the city itself.

Essentially, given the proximity, taking this Hook feels almost obligatory and to practically make Inchmore become part of the social community of Athlone over time, rather than being able to stay wholly socially removed/distinct. Which is different from saying Inchmore would be ruled by Athlone, or vice versa, just that they are close enough that social entanglements and interaction will become unavoidable. And this will result in stories tying us to the city itself. Thoughts?

Ungoverned in particular reflects that the lake is in a border region between multiple kingdoms on the island, and that it makes taking action for mundane powers politically complicated and precarious. It could easily drawn involvement from the other kingdoms who don't want to see their neighbors expanding at their perceived expense say. Among other things. And it also reflects in general a looser and less (completely not) centralized and authoritarian stance by rulers/government in the region due to the fractious and more conflict prone nature of the region. There is simply less structure/authority culturally, on top of us being built expressly in a border zone.

This means any interested mundane powers will have a lot to consider if they decide they would like to exert pressure on Inchmore in some way.

I don't think the Crannogmen are going anywhere, but they also are not expressly part of the Covenant at this point. They simply also live on the island. They "could" be very determined to stay independent, or we could recruit them as covenfolk and greatly expand our control over Inchmore Isle.

1 Like

Bringing the discussion regarding the Threads of Fate back here, as it relates to the possibility of a hedge tradition: in general, I agree with callen.

Optionally: if the matter is for us to have access to a group of fate-benders, what about galdraman (norse version of mathematici, as per RM p.107, Norse Magicians sidebox)? With proper selection of virtues and flaws of the initiation scripts they could be capable of crafting amulets only, focusing in effects to grant or protect luck.

But I think before deciding on the specifics of the implementation we should turn back to Vort's initial query, which I divided for clarity:

I do think it's interesting to have a hedge tradition, and if properly defined it would complement instead of overlap our capabilities. Even if only from a strictly narrative point of view (we don't need to define their virtues more than strictly needed), they could provide information of our surroundings, and maybe about Connacht. Add that to our Redcap and our Tytalus trouble-maker and we have a very solid grasp on all mundane, hermetic and non-hermetic information.

When I first proposed the boon I was thinking of a small druidic tradition, not big enough to have weight in the Coill Trí, nor to join Ex-Misc. A handfull of hedgies with two or three useful enough powers. For example, Shapeshiftr/Skinchanger transforming into birds would mean that they can act as our messengers, spy on enemies and see and hear a lot. Premonitions, they have a constant intuition about anything theatening them (and anything that threatens us, the protectors, threatens them). Whistle Up the Wind fits the bill with the druidic weather control and can help us on occasion.

Perhaps a group of ungifted Folk Witches with a handful of initiation scripts would be the best fit. Say, Shapeshifter, Animal Ken and Cursing (or maybe Healing, or Premonitions, or whatever). The idea (in my mind) is not to make them a strong group (for that we have the magi!), but a marginally useful one.

Initially their background, in my mind, would be that of a dying druidic tradition who has forgotten much of the old ways, but we could instead base them on a norse tradition, and even tie them with our menhir. We could go faerie, or grugrachan, or learned magician. We could even go mundane-but-useful and give them Folk Magic (from TSE p.123) or Folk Dance (HoH:TL p.142).

Either way, in my mind the idea was just to make them useful to have around, but not game changer, as that is how I see the boon working.

The Galdraman is an interesting and apt idea, if you think they would make for a good addition.

Note re: Hedge Tradition, this wasn't part of my plan for the Covenant so ... I'm not pressing for this. I'm just very willing to accommodate that people are interested in. And I can use it for things for sure. And tie it into existing ideas. But there is no pressure on my end to include one.

I'd like some opinions from the rest of the Troupe regarding their thoughts on the Hedge Tradition.

The example in the Boon is "all the local midwives" ... which frankly seems rather underwhelming, but this boon seems more intended to give social advantages and be a source of information and stories.

The Galdraman Tradition is easily more powerful than the local midwives, by quite a bit. However we also can mitigate this if desired by modifying the relationship a bit. Especially in Hibernia, with the Coill, we don't have to be so completely dominant over some Hedge Mage allies. They could be Coill members and/or representatives from the Coill to the "New Praesis" in some way. And thus reflect ties to the Coill and Coill stories in a more general way without us having free access to their magic without having to pay for it etc.

Any further feedback/thoughts on this point? I'm looking over the Covenant information and need to smooth out the posts/information for consistency.

The only thing I can think of would be making the menhir either the center of the aura or to make it stand right at it's edge.

I like the image you have already painted (a +4 aura going just beyond the ring wall). Perhaps keep that and have pockets of +6 aura scattered around (maybe close to or at the entrances of the cave system)?

I'm good with this 6 in the caves and decreasing outside of it. A rating of 3ish outside wouldn't be bad. I'm thinking maybe not more than 3 because it wouldn't have attracted as much attention earlier as if it had a higher aura. I like Rafael's idea of little pockets; so it's sort of fading from 6 to 3 (or 4 or whatever) but not uniformly. That might give reason for some labs in the caves and some outside.

In the interest of allowing people to have their own sanctum/lab concepts and not be mechanically restricted I was thinking of setting the general guide/rule that the aura within the Ringfort is broadly 4 save for anywhere a sanctum/lab is set up. The regular magic performed in such a space appears to cause the aura of the caves to creep up from the caves and join with that space. This occurs faster if the sanctum/lab space is physically connected (contains a functional physical passage to) the caves themselves.

This also makes it obvious that there is a deep magical connection and power to the caves that the new current inhabitants obviously only imperfectly understand.

The only problem with putting it at the center of the aura is that it was designed to be the Cathach of the Covenant. That said ... I can't say it isn't thematic to have it sitting in some architecturally suitable place in the caves or the like, and be one of the major components of the aura. (And Magi being afraid to move it for fear of damaging the aura?)

But I would imagine that the caves are very much within the bounds of the Aegis.

Putting the Cathach outside of the Aegis essentially means outside of the Ringfort, on the island. And thus outside of the Aura.

So perhaps we need a new Cathach?

Or we can create a really clever artificial boundary to use with the AotH so that it is excluded even though it would have been expected to have been included at first glance. That could be interesting.