Cover Art for Lion and the Lilly is up

A knight in blue bearing a banner showing a pattern of Flor de Lis faces off against a knight in red who's sheild bears three lions across a road.

The road continues towards the top of the picture where there is a walled settlement/ city/ covenant on top of a cliff that overlooks the sea. The "settlement" is crowned with curly clouds.

To the right of the road there appears to be a large stone table.

To the left of the road, in the sea, there are crashing waves and something green that resembles a turtle that is breeching like a whale.

At the extreme left edge of the picture a woman constructed of clouds and sea foam pushes the clouds to their position atop the "city".

Are you asking for someone to draw this?

No

The cover art for the new book is up on the front page. I'm just describing it.

I guess I'd like to know people thoughts on the symbolism. I wonder if much of it is representational of the struggle between the two Tytalian Primi.

What's the story with stone tables?

I think that at some previous date I knew the importance of the three lions coat of arms, but this information has disappeared from a lack of use (if it was ever truely there).

here's the link to the picture

http://www.atlas-games.com/product_tables/AG0286.php

I am fairly certain the Three Lions are the Heraldry England although I am not certain wether it is that of the realm or the King, it is on English Sports teams badges today.
I presume the Red and Blue knights are the struggle between The Kings of England and France for Normandy

Three gold lions on a scarlet field are the arms of Richard the Lionheart. His successors retained this heraldry.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_Arms_of_England

Ah, okies. Can't really see the picture very clearly at all from the tiny thumbnail they put on that page.

It might be a good idea (and a marketing boost) if whoever was responsible for maintaining the site would make product images clickable to open larger clearer versions in a separate window.

Having taken a closer look at the cover art:

The blue knight bears French arms, and the red knight bears English arms. The reference is probably to the Battle of Bouvines in 1214. The result of the French victory was the loss of most all of the Plantagenet (i.e. English royal) holdings in Normandy and Aquitaine.

xenophongroup.com/montjoie/bouvines.htm

I believe the "stone table" is a dolmen. Given the field with menhirs next to it, it is perhaps a reference to the Carnac stones in Brittany.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolmen
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnac_stones

As for the walled city and the woman made of mist... Is that Fudarus? I recall (serf's parma), that HoH:S noted that Fudarus was on an island protected by enchanted fog, mist, airy spirits, etc.

Looks like this will be an interesting book...

Right click on the picture and save it to your desktop. The picture you save will have much higher resolution than the thumbnail.

ooh, thanks for the tip! :slight_smile:

Where is the magic? GotF's picture focused on Durenmar, presenting it over half the picture with one of its knights besides it. Here, at best, magic is delegated to the background (Fudarus?) and small details (stone table?) while the mundane kingdoms and knights slug it out. This is not a good omen. Mythic elements (whether invented or based on real-life) should take center-stage in an Ars book in my opinion, with history delegated to the background details. I hope this holds true for the book, even if not the cover.

A set of extremely good guesses. Not quite perfect, but essentially right on the money. (Bouvines is not particularly referenced by the cover.)

I think it's only a cover. But, each Tribunal should offer something different so I have no problem at all with the more mundane aspects of a Tribunal being touted. We've enough magic rolling around the different books to last a lifetime but I want a Tribunal book to sell me the location; explain why I might want to set my saga there.

If memory serves me correctly, in previous Ars books addressing (briefly) the Normandy Tribunal it was stated that one of the major issues that the tribunal faces is that mundane encroachment is very widespread, with the result that the magi there have to put in considerable effort to remain hidden from mundane view.

Whether that will be a major theme of LatL remains to be seen, since the 5th edition line is specifically not bound by any of the previous editions...

that cover is just painful to look upon >.<

I like the cover a lot actually!

cj x

OK I'm getting a bit eager. I'm rather looking forward to setting a game in this tribunal with the help of the book.

I wonder if Michelle and John will have a chance to ship it before the November 7 election even if it does arrive. I doubt it. I'll just hope for the week of the 12th.

Our current saga is based in Rye in the south east of England. To say that the area experienced fun and games with the French during the period is an understatement. I'm looking forward to using this book to strengthen that so while we're not necessarily going to base a covenant there we are very interested in the Tribunal.

So, in short, bring it on.

I just love the title. I think it's a (very good) reference to the Accursed Kings of Maurice Druon. One of the major piece of French literature.

I believe I suggested the title, and I've read one of the volumes of the Accursed Kings ("The Poisoned Crown", I believe) but I can't say that I am aware of the connection. Could you elaborate it for me, please?