Custom spells

This should be Arduino's masterpiece

STATUETTE OF THE INSTANT REFUGE
CrTe 44*
Pen 0, 12 uses/day*
R: Touch, D: Conc, T: Ind
A tiny bronze statuette of an octagonal hut enchanted as a lesser magic item. When activated with the appropriate word, the statuette creates a small octagonal structure with a pointed roof, all made entirely of iron. The only room has a radius and a height of about 10 feet, while the walls are 4 inches thick. Each side is pierced by a narrow slit except for one side, where there is a door that can be locked from the inside with an iron bar.
(Base 5, +1 Touch, +1 Conc, +3 Size, +1 Complexity; +5 Maintain concentration, +4 12 uses/day*)

As for my calculations the total volume of metal should be less than 1000 cf. I dropped the elaborate design factor to +1 (Conjuring the Mystic Tower has +3) because the only part of a certain complexity is the door, for the rest the structure has one room and holes as windows.

• EDITED

A new spell by Aurthor

CIRCLE THAT MAINTAINS THE DEMANDING SPELL
ReVi Gen
R: Touch D: Ring T: Circle
As the spell MAINTAINING THE DEMANDING SPELL (AM5 p 162) but with a different target and duration.
(Base effect, +2 Ring)

as written the maintained spell(s) would have to be inside the circle...

Yes.

For example, a spell like Lamp without flame is casted on a object. Then you cast this spell drawing a circle around it, in this way you get a permanent light. At least until you take the object outside the circle or physically disrupt the circle.

Hi silveroak,

Question on MuVi: by using the guidelines for :
b)Totally change a spell of less than or equal to half the (level + 1 magnitude) of the Vim spell. This may change the Technique, Form, or both of the target spell, and needs no requisites for those Arts. The Vim spell affects the structure of the spell, not the things that the spell targets. A change in power of up to two magnitudes is a total change. Any greater change requires either Creo or Perdo to create more magical energy or destroy some.

...does this work?: a MuVI 50 R:Touch, D:Mom, T: Ind spell "As goes man, so does beast" that can alter Co spells of 25 level or less to become Animal spells with the same effect (as long as its valid, obviously). And a similar one for say, Mentem?

yes

A spell by Arduino

FLAMING BLADES FOR THE TURB
Cr(Re)Ig 35
R: Voice D: Conc T: Group
As Blade of Virulent Flame (AM5 p. 140) with different parameters. The Rego req prevents the fire from damaging the blades.
(Base 5, +2 Voice, +1 Conc, +2 Group, +1 Re req)

A couple of items that Arduino plans to craft for his lab

THE MAGICAL FORGE*
Cr(Re)Ig 50
Pen +0, Unlimited uses
R: Touch, D: Conc, T: Ind
This item is a great brass bowl with a diameter of about 50cm. A large flame hot enough to [strike]melt[/strike] soft and shape iron (the intensity is variable and determined at each use) can be summoned inside the bowl. The Re requisite ensures that the bowl is not damaged by continuous exposure to heat. The Magical Forge grants a laboratory specialization of +3 to Items and +2 Ig, it also adds one to the warping score giving the personality trait "artistic" to the lab.
(Base 15, +1 Touch, +1 Conc, +1 Re, +1 variable heat, +5 item maintains concentration, +10 Unlimited uses)

GARBAGE COLLECTOR*
ReTe(Aq) 25
Pen 0, Unlimited use
R: Touch, D: Mom, T: Room
When activated this bronze vase fill itself with waste, dirt and spills from a given room. At each activation is the user who decides what is to be considered actually garbage, for really messy labs a finesse roll might be required. When used regularly in a lab gives the Spotless virtue.
(Base 2, +1 Touch, +2 Room, +1 Aq, +1 specifically waste and dirt; +10 unlimited use)

*Items edited in accordance with the received inputs.

The forge will add 1 warping with the personality trait "artistic"

Hi! What's the Re for, if you already have a +1 variable? Is it to protect the item from the heat? If it can get that hot, might need +1 extra Re magnitudes.
How hot is the base to melt iron? Base 10 melts lead, but not instantly, right? Maybe 20 for iron/steel? (but I have no idea, really). Everything else seems fine to me

Yeah, the extra Re magnitudo is for protecting the item from continuous exposure to heat.

Hmmm, I don't know for sure either. I simply added one magnitudo to the base needed for melting lead, thinking it is enough for reaching a heat comparable to other medieval mundane forges.

Other inputs about that? What do you think silveroak?

For my own thoughts: 'to protect the item' meaning 'to protect the bowl', rather than the melted item, right? For the record, Olvierius very much approves of this item.
I'm also curious about the garbage collector- How does the item actually determine what gets pulled through the lab towards it? And as a cynical jerk, you may also have to worry about things being pulled to it knocking over beakers of chemicals and creating even MORE spills. :slight_smile:

For the trash collection I think this falls under "when activated" in that thje person doing the activation decides what is trash, though in a really messy lab a finesse roll might be required...

lead melts at 621.43 degrees farenheit. and has a specific heat of 26.65* Joules/mole-kelvin
iron melts at 2800 degrees farenheit and has a specific heat of 25.1 joules/mole-kelvin

also durring the middle ages a furnace which would actually melt iron was unknown (though ironically the temperatures were reached by glassblowers, but different crafts guarded such information jeaously)
as such I would say with magnitude 15 you could certainly soften iron to where it could be worked easilly, but not melt it

Even if my take seems too high (20 Magnitude), I will argue against Base 15 not being able to melt iron: Blade of the Virulent Flame, a Base 5 CrIg spell that clearly states that continuous castings will melt the sword after ½ an hour. So Base 15 should be able to melt iron handily, eventually, depending on volume, although not instantly.

Yes, for item I intend the bowl.

The answer given by silveroak is how I thought the collector could work, the finesse roll for messy labs is a nice touch to which I had not thought though.

So, used regularly, helps you keep a spotless lab. used after a chaotic experimental backlash, it causes another explosion as the shards of broken glass all fly towards you suddenly, knocking over everything in their path... :wink: Good items, though. I like them. I will need to find something suitably dramatic so that he can try to one-up his apprentice, then perhaps go crazy and fade out of reality and game.

Hi all!

Does this work?:
36 BPs become 90 levels for an item, The Hunger: Excellent Longsword continually detects human or animal blood at touch range Revel in the Flow InCo(An) Base 3 R:P, D:Sun, T:Touch, 2 uses/day +1, environmental trigger +3 (14 levels). When it detects such material (comes in contact really), acquires a reddish hue (cosmetic)
2nd power Unbind the Rivers PeCo(An) Base 15 R:T, D:Mom, T:Ind Inflict Heavy Wound on an animal or Humanoid creature touched/struck by the blade, triggered by the presence of blood, 15 Base + 5 Animal + 5 Touch +15 (+3)Size (up to size 7), +46 Penetration (23), Unlimited uses/day (10) +3 Linked Trigger to Revel in the Flow (76 levels)

So the idea is the item triggers by itself (although of course can be activated in some sly ways), and the wielder cannot stop it from triggering (again, unless uses some tricky magic), as he wounds a target with the weapon. The sword is perilous to wield or indeed just to carry.

•Question: detecting blood is InCo base 3...or less?
•Does it work as written, sword strikes and wounds a person, and immediately triggers its power on that poor sap, once per round?
•No Penetration for InCo power needed, as blood transferred from the target to the sword is no longer protected by MR or Parma, correct?

Thanks for the input!

I think you don't need the 1st power, the 2nd power with an environmental trigger "whenever the sword strikes an opponent" should be enough.

Environmental triggers are specifically tied to the magical environment. The examples mentioned are changes to aura and times that end spell durations. By default, a magic item can't sense anything else unless you give it senses. That said, I certainly have no problem with the sword's activation being based on hitting with it in combat, even without the detection spell. You can define the triggering action as gripping the handle and striking with the weapon - if you miss, the spell fails to target (please define touch from the blade, rather than the handle!); if you strike a rock - no corpus; if you stab a magical flower disguised into a human - no corpus. Oliverius's hammer is all determined by declaring a phrase before swinging the hammer.

I read the environmental trigger description on core book and yes, you are right raccoonmask.