Demetrios - Gold Shirt Grog

Okay, here's a gold shirt grog for my last point of prestige. He's an old veteran in the body of a young soldier who's just a little bit naive about the ways of the surface world, having lived his life beneath the sea.

He got a longevity ritual in the same year as Orien, so he has a fair number of Warping Points already. I will account for the time and the vis in Orien's background once we figure out how that's going to be done up.

I understand that when we're traveling together, someone else will play him. But for times when he's on his own, I'll lay claim to him.

[hr][/hr]
[size=150]Demetrios[/size]

Demetrios was just a small boy when the ship his family was sailing on was sunk in a storm. He was the only survivor, and it was only because a nereid enjoying the storm saw him and took pity on him. She rescued him and took him to a city of tritons beneath the sea, who adopted him and raised him as one of their own. They even taught him the secret of speaking to animals.

After several years, however, the tritons began to realize that Demetrios should have the company of fellow humans. And so they took him to the covenant of Aegaea where he had a chance to learn a bit about the world at large. Soon, his natural aptitude with weapons became evident and he began to train with the tritons who guarded the covenant.

When he was seventeen, he was assigned as a shield grog to a newly minted magus named Orien. This proved to be a relatively cushy job, as the man rarely left the covenant. And it was only when the covenant had visitors or Orien went on a journey that he really needed a shield grog. Nevertheless, a friendship grew up between the two. And despite rarely having to protect his charge, Demetrios became attached to his magus.

When Orien announced that he was leaving to help found a new covenant, Demetrios decided to go with him. For one thing, after all these years he felt it was his duty to stick with his magus. For another, he wanted a chance to really see what the surface world had to offer. He’d had glimpses of it on Orien’s few journeys away from the covenant. But to live on the surface was an entirely different thing.

Characteristics: Int -1, Per +1, Pre 0, Com -2, Str +3, Sta +2, Dex 0, Qik +1
Size: 1
Height: 6’0"
Weight: 190 lbs
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 3 (8)
Confidence: 1 (3)

[size=150]Virtues[/size]
Affinity with Great Weapon (minor)
Animal Ken (minor)
Cautious with Great Weapon (minor)
Covenfolk (free)

[size=150]Flaws[/size]
Faerie Upbringing (minor)
Magical Blood: Magical Animal [gills] (minor)*
Stuck in His Ways (minor)
Uncertain Faith (minor)
Visions (minor) *

• Caused by warping

[size=150]Abilities[/size]
Animal Ken (dolphins) 4
Area Lore: Islands of Thebes (geography) 2
Athletics (grace) 3
Awareness (bodyguarding) 4
Brawl (grapples) 4
Carouse (games of chance) 2
Charm (looking innocent) 2
Chirurgery (bind wounds) 2
Etiquette (faeries) 1
Faerie Lore (water faeries) 3
Folk Ken (magi) 2
Guile (lying to authority) 2
Hunt (tuna) 2
Leadership (in combat) 3
Music (lyre) 2
Profession: Soldier (staving off boredom) 2
Romaic Greek 5
Single Weapon (short sword) 2
Great Weapon (trident) 8^
Survival (sea) 2
Swim (maneuvering underwater) 4

^ - I’m assuming a trident is similar to a pole arm in stats

[size=150]Aging Rolls[/size]

25-30: Stress Die +3 (age) -2 (Wealthy) -1 (Living Conditions) -10 (Longevity Ritual) = SD -10
31-40: Stress Die +4 (age) -2 (Wealthy) -1 (Living Conditions) -10 (Longevity Ritual) = SD -9
41-45: Stress Die +5 (age) -2 (Wealthy) -1 (Living Conditions) -10 (Longevity Ritual) = SD -8
(For ages 25-34 there is no chance of Aging Points. The roll is just to see if apparent age goes up.)

[tableborder][tr][th]Age[/th] [th][left]Roll[/left][/th] [th]Total[/th][/tr]
[tr][td][center]25[/center][/td] [td]1d10=9[/td][td][center]9-10=-1[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]26[/center][/td] [td]1d10=5[/td] [td][center]5-10=-5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]27[/center][/td] [td]1d10=4[/td] [td][center]4-10=-6[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]28[/center][/td] [td]1d10=3[/td] [td][center]3-10=-7[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]29[/center][/td] [td]1d10=6[/td] [td][center]6-10=-4[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]30[/center][/td] [td]1d10=10[/td] [td][center]10-10=0[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]31[/center][/td] [td]1d10=8[/td] [td][center]8-9=-1[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]32[/center][/td] [td]1d10=4[/td] [td][center]4-9=-5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]33[/center][/td] [td]1d10=4[/td] [td][center]4-9=-5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]34[/center][/td] [td]1d10=10[/td] [td][center]10-9=-1[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]35[/center][/td] [td]1d10=2[/td] [td][center]2-9=-7[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]36[/center][/td] [td]1d10=5[/td][td][center]5-9=-4[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]37[/center][/td] [td]1d10=10[/td] [td][center]10-9=1[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]38[/center][/td] [td]1d10=6[/td] [td][center]6-9=-3[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]39[/center][/td] [td]1d10=3[/td][td][center]3-9=--6[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]40[/center][/td] [td]1d10=3[/td][td][center]3-9=-6[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]41[/center][/td] [td]1d10=8[/td] [td][center]8-8=0[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]42[/center][/td] [td]1d10=6[/td][td][center]6-8=-2[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]43[/center][/td] [td]1d10=7[/td] [td][center]7-8=-1[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]44[/center][/td] [td]1d10=3[/td] [td][center]3-8=-5[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]45[/center][/td] [td]1d10=10[/td] [td][center]10-8=2[/center][/td][/tr][/tableborder]

Generally speaking the Agean covenat has faeries for their military force, plus with a level 8 aura he would have picked up 2 warping points/yr, at age 45 he would have had 52 warping points or warping:4, if you add a LR on top of that (aside from the question of how a grog got a LR...)would be another 10 warping points to 62. Additionally your character would start to develop their own glamour as per the rules on faerie warping...

The book says that the upper level of the regio has a level 8 aura. I figured that most other places had a much lower aura and that most people were not living 24/7 in the level 8 regio. Of course, I may be mistaken.

Oh, and as for how a grog got a LR, Orien gave it to him as a reward for being a loyal shield grog. I was planning on spending a season and the necessary vis to get it done. I just liked the idea of a magus keeping the same shield grog throughout a large part of their career.

ETA: Hmm, on reading up about all that, this might be a much more complicated character design than I originally expected. I may have to rethink my gold-shirt grog ...