Discussing the GenCon 2015 panel

I have long been the advocate for radical change and streamlined indie mechanics etc. Only issue is the games fan base has for twenty years not been the folks who though troupe style was cool, didn't care that Denmark was apparently still Viking or Scotland full of Picts, or that Paganism flourished in the Order in House Diedne long after it had vanished from everywhere but Lithuania.

Basically the romantic story driven awful history editions have been gone so long the fans have died, had kids or gone to play FATE or Apocalypse World or whatever.

For the last four years I have tried that we'll trodden path of Ars Lite: have advocated stealing boardgame mechanics, simplifying everything and building narrative ownership tricks in to restore troupe play. I've experimented with cards - Atlas do cards well; interfacing with LARP; different periods.

However the current fan base want Ars Magica magic with streamlined mechanics and a Mythic Europe setting. I think we can have both; in terms of economics a lean stripped down Ars backwards compatible with 5th with sexy story telling mechanics and a beautifully produced single volume kickstarter approach strikes me as the best way to go. 5th may no longer be economically viable - but a 6th that let's you pick up and use 5th books or pdfs and that massively reduces the entry learning while maintaining the elegance of the magic system - that can be done.

So while I still favour something revolutionary rather than 5.5, I think a 6th ed can be created that pleases both groups.

It is highly unlikely that any future edition of Ars Magica will be powered by Fate, or any other game system not designed specifically for Ars Magica.

Presumably, Cam, this does not rule out standalone products or variants like MagicShoe or Fiasco, which are "Ars Magica" in some sense but not "Ars Magica 6e"?

This is good to hear.

I have long held the belief that the mechanics of a game, RPG or anything else, need to be tailored to create the experience the players want to have. For me, that experience is developing a magus and a covenant organically over a long period of time, with rich relationships and lots of roleplaying, in a setting that evokes medieval flavor with Mythic elements.

Hi,

We probably are.

One kind of community is formal. It requires volunteers. It is curated. In our case, its primary artifact on the Internet is a formal, flagship publication with a barrier to entry.

The other kind of community is not formal. It exists to the extent that people interact with each other. In our case, its primary artifacts on the Internet are these forums and the all-but-dead Project Redcap. Neither venue would exist without formal support, but the content is freely available and largely ungoverned.

I don't see the two kinds of community as exclusive, independent or orthogonal :slight_smile:.

But I think that if someone wanted to volunteer, resuscitating Project Redcap would be far more valuable than collaborating on a semi-canonical supplement or set of rules fixes or 6th edition. A tangle of different covenants, house rules, optimization guides, adventures, etc seems more exciting to me, more compelling. Broken? Contradictory? Yeah. It's not like it all has to compile and link. Something for everyone, always growing. I don't see web content of this kind as volunteerism or proselytizing, but a natural consequence of a going concern.

I also think that if Atlas wanted to lose money on AM in the best way possible, publishing another supplement or edition might be less effective than community outreach along the lines of Living Whatever. (Yet another kind of community.) We already have a playable game of large extent, but not players.

To me, the focus on a new edition or more supplements seems like a city that has lots of vacant office space... and a developer proposing that the solution is to build another, better tower.

I love game rules, but...

There is a second conversation arisen from this thread, about specific game rules. I very much agree with the poster (forgot who) who mentioned the tension between having a "loosy goosy" versus a meticulously precise system. I think that AM long enjoyed tension between the 2 styles of play, and it does not surprise me at all that the 2 systems most prominently mentioned are FATE and GURPS.

I also think that AM has incrementally moved from a looser, "story telling" style along the lines of FATE to being more GURPS-like. Yes, AM5 lost skills.... when it came out. And then skills started being added back in, or existing skills started being required (looking at you, musicians.) More important, Hermetic Magic has become defined by its spell guidelines, each of which is not too dissimilar to a GURPS spell. Back in the day, a TeFo effect would be eyeballed for power level and aptness (with great inconsistency, naturally.) Nowadays, we look for the (well, a) correct spell guideline and if it doesn't exist then probably Hermetic Magic doesn't yet know how to do this very reasonable thing, and a (probably minor) Breakthrough is needed; we see this happen explicitly in various AM5 supplements.

Neither approach is bad or wrong. But I suspect the drift toward rules formalism in AM is based on the playing styles that actually emerged. (As for me, I sometimes like one and sometimes the other; I think a game system that could successfully flow from one style to the other as different groups demanded and as a given group dynamically wanted to shift focus would be ideal.)

More typing than I've done in a while. :slight_smile:

Anyway,

Ken

In anticipation of that, I said in response to Timithy with respect to FATE....

Do I think Ars Magica should be redesigned as a FATE game? No, not even close. But in answer to Timothy's stated preference for a system where he can do anything (and he listed several different kinds of games), he's looking at something FATE-like.

Despite my bringing it up, I'm not really advocating that Ars Magica be shoe-horned into FATE.

The longer I play, the happier I am with the long term mechanics. The mechanics for what happens in a game need a fair bit of work. Spontaneous magic is difficult for a lot of beginning players to grasp, and the longer you play, you realize it's something of a con, that you can only do it for things you are already good at (and thus already know). Confidence is not a game changer, and it should be. The variability of the die roll makes some tasks really difficult, but Magi, who use spells can be easily designed such that they almost always ignore the die roll for their bread and butter spells (at least I know I do). Someone mentioned not knowing which abilities match with which characteristics, and that it becomes somewhat arbitrary, although I'd argue it becomes situational, but still it's something I've seen come up.

I don't count myself as a games designer, as such, so I'm in the same position as most people here - I await with baited breath the next edition.

I expect the core system to be flexible enough to support different time periods within the same Mythic Europe setting. I expect the rules to give me the long-term progression I want, allowing me to create new spells and devices, to bind familiars and raise apprentices. I also expect them to make "levelling up" after a few years really dead easy and to remove that distraction from play.

I expect the core rules to contain lots and lots of spell guidelines. I expect the rules to find ways to make vis a much more important part of the run of play, both in terms of adding flavour to it as the basic magic resource it is and also promoting its use in spell-casting rather than having magi hoard hundreds of pawns of the stuff - you can't take it with you when the saga ends.

I expect a unified creature/monster creation mechanic and for that to be available from the outset. Later supplements might enhance it and offer more options, but I should be able to make balanced and threat-level-appropriate creatures from the core book.

I expect there to be a lot of focus on the narrative structure of the saga - provide support for a beginning, a middle, and an end. Here's what I'd do... Why not make the initial core setting book focus on the founding of the order? Cover the next two hundred years or so. Then another book that covers the next two centuries and does different stuff with the world. They can guide the players through Mythic Europe. Support (for instance), the Rhine and central Europe in the first book, then move to the British Isles, and then the Mediterranean and the crusades... Move around and give new content for the new play style you want to support in that tranche.

I'd like stories, scenarios, saga threads to come through in the published line too, but I accept I'm probably veering into the territory of lining up too many supplements that might not make their money back. I don't know whether a PDF-only option is viable here for these? Might be.

There's a ton of options for taking this game forward and my vision is going to be one among many. I don't know what the mechanics would look like, but I'd love to see two great-looking, well-playtested supplements a year, with a jump in time every two or three years, backed up with a few PDF scenarios to help me play with the books that I've just bought.

And cards... I want cards. And play aids. I'd buy the heck out of that stuff, to be honest.

2c: Please keep the cards and other tokens / aids optional. They are situational devices. e.g. Warhammer's new edition went too far down this path and it was a disgrace, 4e dnd powers felt like cards and also didn't fit.
The more I think about it and re-read this discussion the more I think the mechanics shouldn't be changes wholesale.

Cards boards and play aids as an integral part of play together with an increased emphasis on production values was one response to a) pdf piracy and b) Eurogames i'm told.

Eurogames revolutionised boardgames by reducing random chance, play time, learning curve is in game (you learn as you play) and by abstraction rather than simulation in mechanics. Many older boardgames look like an rpg on a board - Talisman for example - while games like Agricola and Puerto Rico are more abstract.

Indie games influenced by Eurogames aspire to do one thing well. They are the opposite of GURPS - but also not much like Ars or D&D.

I like cards for things like books, vis, spells as play aids. I like physical props. However in Ars if we keep the Magic The Gathering style Virtue and Flaw combos cards are about the only way to make them accessible. Personally I think we need a design kit where Virtues and Flaws are created or a term based build your own abilities system like Unknown Armies or Heroquest 2, but that is probably just me.

I was just thinking Ars is a lot like the Roman Catholic Church - it has a lot of tradition and as the Charismatic movement brought informal worship etc it has moved back more to its heavy crunch rules first origins - in fact going far further down that route - under Pope David.

As to making the game economically viable you need accessible; but not necessarily FATE rules lite direction. Lisa Stevens has done an amazing job with Pathfinder ser - and Feng Shui 2 has sold well despite being a bit more crunchy than the current trend. Pathfinder found a gap in the market and did wonders with it - and shows indie coolness not only direction you can shift

I... think some may have taken my previous post as suggesting 6e should be a FATE-based game. That was certainly not my intention. I was responding to Timothy's comment, regarding presumed upcoming stand-alone products. For such a product, I suggested that one should EITHER go the Ars Magica Lite way OR use FATE; a third option (aside from using other systems) really being inventing one of your own, which I think is pointless and unwise. I actually think the first option will be best - do an Ars Magica Lite pdf, if you really intend to do standalone products.

I agree that FATE lacks the fine-granularity that is needed for the long-term Ars Magica game. It's narrativist style is also quite opposed to Ars Magica's simulationist trends. I do think the games can be combined well, but only by taking Ars Magica to a much more narrativist direction. I'd like to see such a game, I think it'd be an interesting game, perhaps even a good new direction for 6e. But it isn't the predictable direction for 6e (which I agree with CJ is a streamlined 5e, rather than something so different; it'd be about correcting issues like those Jonathan raised, not reinventing what Arts are), and even if Atlas decides to go down a more narrativist path adapting FATE might not be the best way to do so. I'm by no means a FATE fanboy (only an Ars Magica one).

I play and GM both FATE and Ars. I have designed a whole original world for FATE and wrote a modern version of Ars Magica for 21st century (probably 80k words or more). I am saying that not to show off, but to say that I dwells extensively in both system and enjoy them equally.

And as much as I love both systems, I don't see how to fit Ars in FATE without loosing too much of what makes Ars what it is.
The narrative aspect of FATE will work well for many Ars story, however we would loose much of the mechanics that I enjoy in Ars.

As it was mentionned, the main weakness of FATE is the long term game. And Ars is all about the long term game, the slow but steady evolution, free from most random factors, letting you play each session with a slightly improved/evolved character.

We can streamline books, tractatus, lab rules and such so Ars can be adapted to different time period and background. But I believe one of the cornerstone of Ars it this ability to have a character evolve without hunting XP, in a predictable pattern, so it meets player expectation.
Another cornerstone of Ars is how unique each magus is. It is supported by the Technique^/Form system and the fact that a spell is only good at one thing (mostly). Fate is more about flexibility and broad skills. Directly in opposition to the very mechanicyl aspect of magic in Ars.

However, after running full campaigns with various playgroups, I have to admit that the learning curve is steep for new comers and sometimes discouraging - I tried many tricks to convince them to think ahead of their seasons and read a bit more the rules, so we can have more story time and less lab time in our gaming sessions, with limited success. So if the purpose of 5.5ed or 6ed is to widen the player's base some compromises will have to be made...

This is my first proper post to this forum. I felt I had to make an intervention at this point because I have a lot invested in the Ars Magica line but at the same time I think my perspective is very different to that of most people here and perhaps of interest for that.

I have been a huge admirer of Ars Magica since fourth edition, and I own and have used dozens of the books. But I have only played in a few short-lived Ars Magica sagas. However, I have used the ArM rules and supplements very extensively in my own home-brewed games.

What do I love about Ars Magica? I love its approach to historical fantasy, I love the way it takes the folklore, superstition, religion and pseudo-scientific beliefs of a particular time and place very seriously on their own terms and makes them real within the game. No other RPG approaches Ars Magica in doing this as sensitively, imaginatively and thoroughly. Ars Magica also has very robust, flexible and adaptable core mechanics, which are great for creating stories in a setting with a high level of internal consistency.

I have used adaptations of the Ars Magica core rules and drawn on its supplements in an Arthurian Dark Age Britain campaign, a Vikings game, and a game set at the edge of the Byzantine Empire. A friend of mine has now adapted one of my adaptations for his Glorantha game. We didn’t use Ars Magica for all these games because we were unaware of other systems – far from it. We use Ars Magica rather than games designed for these settings (or generic systems like GURPS or FATE) because ArM works better for the kind of games we want to play – highly immersive, character-driven games, in a consistent environment that aims for historical accuracy (or a simulation of a fantasy world, in the case of Glorantha), and which takes myth, religion and the supernatural very seriously. With the flexible and intuitive core mechanics that ArM has it is easy to bolt on other things if needed (such as more granular, tactical combat for those games where combat is important).

I think Atlas is completely right not to dive into a sixth edition. Current players of the game seem largely happy with fifth, which is hugely well supported in terms of supplements, and expecting these players to transition to a sixth edition and buy a similarly extensive range of supplements would be a big ask.
I strongly believe that it would be far better for Atlas to do what I understand it to be contemplating, which is build on the success of Ars Magica through diversification, drawing on the strengths of what has already been published. This might mean publishing games which involve playing characters from the Order of Hermes in different timeframes (the founding of the Order, the Renaissance, even the present day), but it could also mean publishing other kinds of games set in Mythic Europe, without necessarily involving the Order at all. My hope is that it will do the latter. Fourth edition seemed to be moving a bit in that direction with supplements looking at the fringes of the Order’s world and detailing various non-Hermetic traditions – like ‘Land of Fire & Ice’. Fifth edition pulled away from that because (as I recall) players complained that these supplements weren’t useful for their games based as they were around the Order of Hermes. I found that a pity, because those supplements were very useful for me!

I can imagine a great range of RPGs, all with the Mythic Europe brand and the same core mechanics (but with different abilities, variants of the magic rules, variants of the realms, etc): e.g. a game set in ancient Greece drawing on Greek mythology, a game set in Scandinavia during the time of the sagas, a Celtic game in Gaul or Britain on the eve of the Roman conquests, an Arthurian game set immediately after the Romans leave Britain, a mythic Russian game.
I think these games could be very popular. There is demand for historical fantasy games like these, but having read a lot of the published games and played some of them, I am confident that Mythic Europe games, using some of the excellent writers who have worked on the ArM supplements, and using and adapting the ArM core system, could come to dominate the field.

These games would have to be accessible to new players, which sadly ArM fifth edition is not. Compared to the fifth edition core rulebook, any new game would need to have more taster text, better art, a clearer layout, and a less dense account of the rules. Ideally, the rules for any of these new Mythic Europe games should have simpler rules than we have for ArM fifth edition. That is easily done if the new game has different magical traditions (or even no magical traditions at all) because most of the ArM5 rules concern the minutiae of Hermetic magic.

If a game sold a lot of copies, then Atlas could publish supplements for it, but publication of a long line of supplements is not so very important for running a good game so I don’t think we should see that as essential. While individual groups might restrict themselves to playing one or two Mythic Europe games, I can imagine a lot of people at least buying and reading up on the other games and using some of their ideas. Different games might be set in the same time period (e.g. a Vikings game and a Mythic Russia game and a legendary Charlemagne game) and characters could cross from one environment to another, or else the saga could be based in a place where two environments co-exist to some extent (e.g. if a group played a saga centred on early Rus and its Varangian founders). In other cases the PCs might encounter echoes of the past in some way (through a Faerie regio or equivalent, a spirit trapped for centuries in a device, or an ancient text) which would allow a storyguide to draw on ideas published for a game set in that earlier time period. But I wouldn’t advocate going too far in that direction (towards, say, a generic rules system with cross-cultural supplements) because much of the attraction of Ars Magica is its close attention to a specific moment in time in all its aspects, and if you want to replicate this appeal in various sister games then this needs to be kept.

David

Seconded.

That's ... actually a really good description.

Personally, I think Ars Magica needs to sit on the shelf for a little while, until we get over this mad frenzy to do something. I haven't heard/read what the Gen Con panel said and am merely picking up snippets from this thread. If splat-books don't sell, what does? Core rules? So then is the model to design a universal system engine and then wrap different settings around that? That's what FATE and GURPS and Savage Worlds all did/do, right? I don't know.

We started calling the game "Ars MATHica" several years ago because of the rules. In play I dreaded when the magi decided to cast spontaneous spells, because it meant the game came to a grinding halt as the players bent open rule books and started calculating base effect + range + duration + target and then min/maxed it against what they might accomplish. I got so sick of hearing "I use loud voice and gestures" that I just gave everyone a +2 (or whatever the modifier is) whenever they cast a spell. What a drag, and the point of the game is for magi to cast spells! The rules need to be a lot faster. The basic model of die + modifier against a number is fine, but Ars became die + modifier + modifier + modifier + modifier . . . you get what I mean. Too much.

Really, the whole base effect + range + etc. always felt too calculated to me. I much preferred the hand waving of earlier editions. "That feels like a 20th level spell," sort of thing. I don't remember too many mutinies during those games, or any more whining about rules than usually happens in a game.

I've been reading a ton of Moon Design Publishing's Glorantha these days, and I'm intrigued by the core HeroQuest rules. My plan is to reassemble my group, pick a tribunal we've already played in and know, and represent everything in HeroQuest terms, just to see how it plays. I'm sure it's too simple for complex Hermetic magic lovers, but I won't know until the dice rattle across the table.

I'm also curious if anyone has used the WaRP system for anything. Seems like Atlas already has a universal rules-lite rules system. Anyone every use it? I think it would work find for a combat heavy game centered in Mythic Europe.

I once used the Unknown Armies rules for a game. The players were companions charged with bringing down a Marched wizard. Four of them broke into his covenant to find his sanctum. He was much more powerful than the characters, so they had to be clever and sneaky and all that. It was very fun, and the Unknown Armies rules can be picked up and understood in a heartbeat.

Finally, I wish Cam and crew all the luck with GUMSHOE Ars. I found GUMSHOE clumsy, but then I've only used if for the Dying Earth RPG (which isn't really GUMSHOE, more its predecessor), and the Gaean Reach (which the main problem was we didn't roll that often). I own but haven't played the Trail of Cthulhu, which might be a better representation of the GUMSHOE system. I'm eager to see what they do with it.

Matt Ryan

I'd like the spontaneous magic system to be more accessible, with effects that are easier to achieve and costs (whether successful or not) greater than fatigue, but I don't have a clear notion of what exactly I want it to cost. The cost of failing a spontaneous spell in the current edition is not that great, in that it's the loss of fatigue and for a failed spell, and the risk of botching is also the same as a formulaic spell. Timothy Ferguson suggested in the 6th edition thread (at least if I understood him properly) that the Arts double with respect to formulaic spells. While I think that's not a bad idea at first glance it raises a number of other problems, and still requires applied arithmetic during play if people don't record casting scores next to their spells, and I know several who don't. Of course, such a solution would only increase the things that magi can do, and so they would look to their guidelines even more. The only cure for such behavior is to put a time limit at the table...

This is an example of the kind of thing I believe could be fun to try.

For instance, I've hugely enjoyed proofing Lands of the Nile. What if, instead of being a sourcebook for ArM5 based in 1220, it was cast as a stand-alone game of the Mythic Nile (Ars Magica compatible), with sagas in ancient Egypt or the Empire of Kush in the history before Mythic Europe?

Shut up and take my money.
:laughing:

I think this is absolutely the right direction to go. As I suggested in my post above, there have been many excellent Ars Magica supplements exploring various historical magical / mystical / supernatural traditions, but some (and I am thinking mainly of fourth edition books - 'Land of Fire and Ice', 'The Mysteries', 'Kabbalah', 'The Dragon and the Bear') have been rather held back by having to be set in 1220AD and relate themselves to the Order of Hermes and the Ars Magica magic system. If that link could be broken we could have a whole series of historical fantasy standalone games which would be Ars Magica compatible but would not be designed for thirteenth century Magi in the Order of Hermes. Needless to say, such standalone games would be attractive to people who don't play Ars Magica, in a way that an Ars Magica supplement could never be.

This is a very real problem with the game, though it's also a feature. Spontaneous magic seldom works when you need it anyways (mostly b/c people push their limits), but the system discourages learning small spells because of the 'one Te/Fo combo per season' rule. Remove that rule (so learning from texts is like studying under a teacher) and magi can learn lots of small spells efficiently.

Maybe make the non-fatiguing spontaneous magic quick, but make the fatiguing stuff ceremonial (15min per magnitude). This makes significant spontaneous magic difficult when you're in a hurry, but still a problem solving tool if you have time. Or limit sponts to well-known spell effects ("I skimmed a lab text on this spell once, I sort of know how it works"), so you can spont The Unseen Porter, but not any min-maxed ReTe effect. Spontaneous effects could also be limited to a certain set of spell guidelines, as some stuff is too complex for spontaneous magic (MuVi already does this). This would keep spontaneous magic simple and direct.