distracting spells

These are intended to cause distraction to opponents (probably not magi):

Storm of Sand
Cr(Re)Te 5
R: Touch, D: Concentration, T: Individual
Sand flies from the caster's outstretched hands to circle around an opponent, distracting and blinding him.
Base 1 + 1 (Touch) + 1 (Concentration) + 1 (Individual) + 1 (requisite)

Storm of Leaves
Cr(Re)He 20
R: Touch, D: Concentration, T: Group
Thousands of leaves fly from the caster's outstretched hands to circle around an opponent, distracting and blinding him.
Base 1 + 1 (Touch) + 1 (Concentration) + 2 (Group) + 2 (size) + 1 (requisite)

The Raven's Touch
Cr(Re)Im 20
A small flock of ravens appears from around the caster, and flies to bedevil an opponent with visual, audio, and tactile species.
Base 3 + 1 (Touch) + 1 (Concentration) + 2 (Group) + 1 (requisite)

Scent of the Open Grave
CrIm 10
R: Voice, D: Concentration, T: Individual
The area around a person is filled with the odor and taste of rotten meat, distracting him.
Base 2 + 2 (Voice) +1 (Concentration) + 1 (Individual)

Confusing Commands
CrMe 15
R: Voice, Duration: Concentration, T: Individual
The spell places words into the targets mind that conflict with what the target is trying to do. For example, a target in combat could be commanded to "duck", "turn", "run away" etc.
Base 3 + 2 (Voice) + 1 (Concentration) + 1 (Individual)

Any thoughts or suggestions on the ease factors for targets trying to ignore these spells?

Since they are planned to be used in combat, D: Diameter might be more useful here. Making it T:group is also a boon when you try to fight several dudes at once.

The flock of ravens might need a pair of magnitudes more becaue of shifting image, but maybe you can drop the group target if the raven illusions keep in contact with one another for the whole spell's duration. THis is how I would design it anyway :slight_smile:

Now, on the effects. AT LEAST a pair of extra botch dice and probably a -3 to -6 or so to your rolls as well. Those are not mere distractions, but things that seriously impede you wjen performing physical labor opr stuff that requires you to stay focused.

Cheers,
Xavi

Well done.

I'm not sure i understand you correctly. IMO these spells cannot simply be ignored. Confusing comments might be resisted by an Intelligence stress roll of 6+ or 9+, and The Raven's Touch could be handled much like any other illusion (but without any natural resistance 'ignore' roll as art of the spell discription). Scent of the Open Grave could possibly be stomached by a Stamina 9+, but even that is arguable. As for the two remaining spells they are actual physically present distractions hampering with the actions of the victim. I would not allow targets to 'ignore' let allone resist such spells. Impose penalties to all (or at least most) actions, as well as a few extra botch die.

Why do you add +1 magnitude for Target:Individual? There's no magnitude modifier for Individual, unless you are boosting size (but it does not appear to be the case in your spells).

Oops! Thanks. Scent of the Open Grave just became very easy to cast. And with a high enough casting total, also distracting for magi.

Thanks for the D: Diameter suggestion. I was confused by your T: Group suggestion, as I was thinking that the Target of a Creo spell is the thing created. But I guess the Scent and Command spells could affect more opponents as Group spells.

Revised Spells

Storm of Sand
Cr(Re)Te 4
R: Touch, D: Diameter, T: Individual
Sand flies from the caster's outstretched hands to circle around an opponent, distracting and blinding him. Opponents caught in the sand storm are at -6 to perform any action, must roll two extra botch dice, and must make a Stamina stress roll of 9+ to avoid being temporarily blinded due to sand in the eyes.
Base 1 + 1 (Touch) + 1 (Diameter) + 1 (requisite)

Storm of Leaves
Cr(Re)He 20
R: Touch, D: Diameter, T: Group
Thousands of leaves fly from the caster's outstretched hands to circle around an opponent, distracting and blinding him. Opponents caught in the leaf storm are at -6 to perform any action, must roll two extra botch dice. One version of this spell produces blooming roses. Others create a storm of mulberries or acorns.
Base 1 + 1 (Touch) + 1 (Diameter) + 2 (Group) + 2 (size) + 1 (requisite)

The Raven's Touch
Cr(Re)Im 20
A small flock of ravens appears from around the caster, and flies to bedevil an opponent with visual, audio, and tactile species. Opponents caught in the raven flock are at -6 to perform any action, must roll two extra botch dice. If the caster can make a finesse roll of 9+, the ravens appear to go for the eyes, and opponents are at -9 to perform actions other than attempting to protect themselves from the birds.
Base 3 + 1 (Touch) + 1 (Concentration) + 2 (Group) + 1 (requisite)

Scent of the Open Grave
CrIm 5
R: Voice, D: Diameter, T: Individual
The area around a person is filled with the odor and taste of rotten meat. Persons affected must make a stamina stress roll of 9+ to avoid violently retching.
Base 2 + 2 (Voice) +1 (Diameter)

Confusing Commands
CrMe 15
R: Voice, Duration: Concentration, T: Individual
The spell places words into the targets mind that conflict with what the target is trying to do. For example, a target in combat could be commanded to "duck", "turn", "run away" etc. Opponents must make an intelligence stress roll of 6+ or suffer a -6 to perform desired actions. If the caster can make a finesse roll of 9+, the commands are exceptionally well-timed and contrary, and the opponent is at -9 to perform desired actions.
Base 3 + 2 (Voice) + 1 (Concentration) + 1 (Individual)

Not sure that Casting Total is relevant. It's an illusion. Species emitted by illusions don't need to Penetrate.

T: Group:
You're quite right, T: Group should be the thing(s) created, and a Size modifier just the thing to make a large amount of (whatever).
T: Group would allow you to make several smaller elements (ie multiple leaves) to throw at people.
With T: Ind you would technically create only one leaf :slight_smile:
So it would appear you use T: group correctly.

Which just leaves the issue of sand.
Technically a single grain of sand could well be argued to be an individual despite the text on p. 152.
But a Group of sand would equal 10 times the individual defined on p. 152, or about 100 cubic paces of the stuff - not so much distracting the target as burying him in sand.

Good job on the descriptions.
Personally I would increase the level back up 1 step for Voice rather than Touch.
I wouldn't want to create a sandstorm at Touch range.
It's basically the same as with a PoF IMO, the "casters' hands" part is merely cosmetic.

I guess it depends on what the caster wants to achieve. One can certainly create a sandstorm at Touch range if one stays on the very rim.

You do not need +2 for size. Group Herbam already creates 10 cubic paces of leaves.
On the other hand, there's the problem described above with Touch vs. Voice.

You do not need the requisite; check out Phantasmal Animal. However, you do need a +1 magnitude for a moving illusion; this gets to +2 if you can actually keep moving the Ravens as you like (as opposed to just having them briefly rush for the target).

Still +1 Individual! Bad!

Finally, you should consider whether what you want is just a momentary distraction or an ongoing one. If an ongoing one, you should probably have the Target roll to avoid the effects everyround*. If it's a momentary one taking a few heartbeats, then duration can be pulled down to Momentary.