[Dungeoneer] Noob combat questions

I bought Tomb of the Lich Lord yesterday and there's one thing that keeps bothering me. If a rat attacks me using Melee, can I use my Magic or Speed to defend, or do I have to use Melee?

And also is the only time when a Hero can attack a monster after a monster has attacked him by using a Special Action?

On the card Tomb Threshold it says: "You may not initiate a challenge on a hero here." Does it mean you cannot attack a hero with a hero there, but monsters can attack him or neither heroes nor monsters can attack there?

Sorry to bother you with nooby questions like this, but I'm a noob when it comes to Dungeoneer.

Hello Komujeese,

Glad you picked up Dungeoneer, hopefully these notes will improve your enjoyment of the game.

1. attacker chooses the form the combat will be in (melee, magic or rarely speed). So whatever you are attacked with you must use. If a hero attacks ("initiates" an attack) he may choose the form.

2. Yes, a special action is required to attack off-turn (requires a saved movement point from his previous turn)

3. a "challenge" is the specific term for when a hero attacks another hero. This has nothing to do with monsters.

Hope this helps!

Happy Dungeoneering,

Thanks for the info.

But there is one thing that bothers me. You said:

So that means if a rat attacks a sorcerer (with melee, as rats usually do) the sorcerer can't use his magic to fireball it. That doesn't make sense to me.

This is what special actions are for. So the magic user can initiate an attack in the form he is best in.