Elementalists and healing

Apart from injury, it seems that most illness in Mythic Europe paradigm is caused by an upset in bodily humors.

And each of the 4 humors corresponds to an element - Air, Fire, Water, and Earth.

So would an Elementalist have an edge in designing and casting illness alleviating/creating spells?
Assuming such spells are Aurum, Aquam, Ignem or terram.

I guess you are talking about a Hermetic Elementalist here (since the Elemental Physician does exactly this).

I'd say that elementalism offers no advantage. The sanguine humour is hot and moist, like air, but humoural theory does not try to claim that actual air is in the blood. It is just that it shares the same qualities with air; the two have resonance or correspondance. Likewise bile is hot and dry, but it is not fire. Since the elements are not themselves present (except in the atomic form), knowing something about Auram or Ignem would not help, in my opinion. After all, you wounldn't expect Ignem to help with affecting predators like lions or wolves, and yet they have a choleric temperament, which is resonant with fire. Would you want Ignem helping out in Mentem spells to make people angry? All these are cool concepts, but they are not Hermetic, they are the domain of non-Hermetic Elementalists. I imagine Bonisagus stripped out all correspondances like this when conceiving the basic ten Forms.

If you worked on a breakthrough with an elemental physician, then the answer might be different, but the current Hermetic paradigm is that Ignem affects fire, not things that are resonant with fire. Else rubies and lions would be part of Ignem :slight_smile:

Mark

Mark

Yes, I was referring to a Hermetic Elementalist. Sorry for the ambiguity.
It just seems that the virtue (Hermetic) Elementalist is missing something, if it is a major virtue representing another magical tradition not fully integrated into Hermetic theory (me paraphrasing various things I have seen written)

There are so many 5th Ed books. Where does one find info on Elemental Physician?
Thanks
Dale

Hedge Magic, revised edition, p. 17ff