Current version, as of Spring 1220:

[size=150]Elias Tarsites, a glass blower [/size]

Characteristics: Int +1, Per +1, Pre -2, Com 0, Str +1, Sta +1, Dex +4, Qik 0

Size: 0
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 147 lbs
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (0)

Virtues and Flaws: Great Dexterity, Puissant Glassworking, Cautious with Glassworking, Humble, Disfigured (smallpox scars), Fragile Constitution (Healing: -3)

Abilities: Area Lore: Thessaloniki 4 (craftsmen), Artes Liberales 2 (arithmetic), Awareness 3 (alertness), Bargain 6 (glassware), Charm 2 (customers), Concentration 2 (glassworking), Etiquette 2 (town folk), French 3 (bargaining), Folk Ken 2 (customers), Glassworking 6+2 (colored glass) [Category: Laboratories], Lingua Franca 4 (bargaining), Ride 1 (getting on and off the horse), Romaic Greek 5 (good vocabulary), Veneto 3 (bargaining)

At start:

[size=150]Elias Tarsites, a glass blower [/size]

Characteristics: Int +1, Per +1, Pre -2, Com 0, Str +1, Sta +1, Dex +4, Qik 0

Size: 0
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 147 lbs
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (0)

Virtues and Flaws: Great Dexterity, Puissant Glassworking, Cautious with Glassworking, Humble, Disfigured (smallpox scars), Fragile Constitution (Healing: -3)

Abilities: Area Lore: Thessaloniki 4 (craftsmen), Artes Liberales 2 (arithmetic), Awareness 3 (alertness), Bargain 6 (glassware), Charm 2 (customers), Concentration 2 (glassworking), Etiquette 2 (town folk), French 3 (bargaining), Folk Ken 2 (customers), Glassworking 6+2 (colored glass) [Category: Laboratories], Lingua Franca 4 (bargaining), Ride 1 (getting on and off the horse), Romaic Greek 5 (good vocabulary), Veneto 3 (bargaining)

Background
Elias was apprenticed to a glassmaker at an early age and proved to have a real talent for the craft. He finished his apprenticeship and went to work for his former master, eventually getting married and setting up his own shop by the age of 28. Soon thereafter his wife had their first child, a lovely daughter. Life was looking up for Elias.

But fate would soon intervene. Not long after his daughter was born, Elias caught the smallpox during a small outbreak of the disease in Thessaloniki. The authorities were swift to respond, which kept the outbreak isolated. But that meant little to Elias, who nearly died of the disease. The only thing that kept him going was his wife, who subjected herself and their child to quarantine in order to tend to her husband.

Elias survived, though with terrible scars and a weakened constitution, but then another tragedy befell him. His wife and baby caught the disease as well. And he knew only too well that while he had survived the two of them might not.

Freed of the quarantine by the fact that he had survived the disease, Elias spent every waking moment he was not tending his family seeking for someone who could help. He spoke to doctors who were happy to take his money. But none of their remedies seemed to help. He found charlatans whose so-called cures he didn't really believe in, but whom he turned to anyway out of desperation. He prayed, though he knew that prayer alone coudn't help.

FInally he heard a rumor, really the barest hint of a rumor. Someone said that he knew of someone at a local school who had caught the smallpox, but recovered quickly and almost miraculously. Elias went to the chool and refused to leave until he spoke to someone who could help.

At the school Elias was finally introduced to one of the covenant's magi who took pity on the man. The magus followed Elias home and cast a pair of rituals that cured the sick mother and child. Elias was admonished to tell no one, but to simply act as if his wife and child had survived the worst of the disease. The magus then made a casual remark about how this was hopefully the most expensive healing that the family would ever require. For though the magus charged Elias nothing for the healing, it had involved a not insignificant amount of vis.

Elias rejoiced in the cure and promised he would abide by the magus' wishes. He begged the man accept some money for his healing, but his offer was refused. The magus returned to the covenant happy to have performed a good deed and expecting no reward.

A week later, however, Elias returned to the school and again met with the magus. The magus had surely saved the lives of Elias' family, and the glassworker insisted that he was due a reward. Again the magus accepted no money, but had an alternate proposal. Elias had mentioned that he was a glassworker, so the magus said he could repay the generosity of the healing by doing some glasswork for the "school." Elias happily accepted the offer, delivering some truly excellent pieces of work. The magi were pleased with his work, which lead to more orders until the covenant offered him a position working exclusively for them. Elias, who had come to know the magi and their ways over the past few years, accepted and joined the covenant for good.

I would make Veneto as mother language for a Glass blower and Greek as secondary language given the invasion not that long ago and Venice is known as the top place for glasswork around this time.

for reference Elias could be making 20 MP per year as an independent craftsman with a single shop, and an opportunity to grow his business. Obviously economics isn't the primary consideration for this character, but I thought you should be aware.

Thompsja had implied that we wanted a glassworker so that we could have him make glasswork for the labs. Realizing that a glassworker would have to have a strong reason to come to work for the covenant instead of working independently, I came up with a backstory that explained that. The only other option is to say that the covenant could never get a glassworker to ever work for them, since the numbers are so terrible, and I don''t think that's what people wanted. We talked about giving craftsmen reasons for taking a pay cut to join the covenant. I did so. Was that wrong?

It's not wrong, just wanted you to be aware. I'm also conflicted about the rules themselves having such a huge gap- it seems to me that the covenant should be able to sell some of his extra work to help the covenant's finances, and possibly operate the shop itself in a manner similar to what is in city and guild, but this would be giving the covenant free income beyond the hooks and boons as well, and could easily get into areas that would rapidly become abusive even by the standards of my campaigns. Now as I mentioned elsewhere the covenant does get more from this than the simple lab savings from the work since everyone can now get superior equipment without the +2 lab upkeep, and at the same time the cost to the covenant is increased by Elias' wife and child being likely dependents, but the fact is that all of these things interconnect, and it seems to me that making characters based on someone simply expressing an interest in having them around may not be the best way to go. A covenant in the city will not operate the same way that one out in the woods will, and some of what is going on feels to me like a rush to get to the action without checking your equipment first.
On the other hand I realize I am much more detail oriented than most players and don't want to be standing in the way of an enjoyable game.
For full math- if his wife and daughter are dependants that means the full cost to the covenant of having Elias around (which is to say what he is effectively making) would be just under 12 MP/yr, which makes a lot more sense for him to have taken the offer. How much we save depends on how extravagantly we will support lab maintenance.

FWIW, I don't think his wife would necessarily be a dependent. She was totally cured of the smallpox by a magus, and so suffers no ill effects from the disease.

However, you've convinced me that the spouse of a craftsman would not be a dependent. She wouldn't be a "servant" of course. That would be too demeaning. But she would probably do the work of a servant in her own household, freeing up another dedicated servant for other work.

As for being worth it, if a glassmaker saves +2 lab upkeep, he should more than pay for himself, no matter how many dependents he has. Even just going from 0 to +2, that's a savings of 30 MP/year. If we add a toolmaker, together they save 60 MP/year. That's real money. So it wasn't mere whim that caused thompsja to suggest we get a glassmaker, but a calculated decision that having a glassmaker would be better than not having one.

And don't get me wrong, despite the fact that we're often on different sides of an issue, I really do appreciate the effort you put into the game. It's a better game with all the interesting grogs you make, and you bring in an understanding of some of the rules that I can't match. You're also a check on my conservative tendencies. Sometimes its good to have my cage rattled a bit. It gets me out of the ruts I'm thinking in. If I sound negative and critical a lot, please forgive me. I just get so wrapped up in the issues that I sometimes forget good manners.

actually going from 0 to +2 is 20 upkeep per lab or 2 MP/lab so a 10 MP savings, plus 2 MP for the actual reduction in costs.

Right, what was I thinking?

Show your math! That's what I tell my daughters all the time. And here I go doing the math in my head just like I tell them not to.

If it makes you feel better, I was doing math in my head up through differential equations.

Ah, that takes me back. Good old differential equations. How I miss you. :wink:

I had a teacher in freshman year of HS who drilled into us that we should show every step of our work. and that indoctrination worked. (What can I say, the Jesuits are good at indoctrination.)

quick, 3F(t)' ' +7F(t)'-22F(t)=8
:smiley:

Good grief, it's been a long time since I had a differential equation in front of me. :slight_smile:

I majored in Math in college, and I still couldn't do this with a gun to my head.

Modified to remove Educated (since we no longer need it to be literate) and Latin. Replaced Educated with Great Dexterity.

This allows him to reliably make Superior Equipment.