Enchanted item: Flying Throne

Does this look like a fair enchantment?

• Yes. It looks fine.
  • No, the enchantment level is too low!
  • No, the enchantment level is too high!
  • No, you made a rules error.

0 voters

So my magus, Frederico ex Guernicus wants to build a flying throne to allow him to travel quickly from place to place. Many others in my covenent have decided to spend large amounts of time studying Rego Corpus so they simply "seven league stride" all over the place. I would rather use what I am allready good at: Terram.

My plan is a minor magical enchantment. I have a major focus in "stone", a Rego score of 9, Terram of 12 (15 with pussant) a magic theory of 3 (+1 in Terram), an intelligence of +1, a lab with +1 to Terram (minor feature) and a magic aura of 5. A Granite throne grants a +3 matereal bonus.

Here is the effect I was thinking of:

Flying Throne
ReTe 30
R : Self / D : Conc. / T : Ind.
This effect allows the user of the enchanted granite throne to fly at speeds of up to 40 miles per hour. The operator need only concentrate to control the chair at take-off and landing, or when changing direction or altitude in flight. The chair is capible of hovering, and moving in any directon (foreward, backward, side to side) and rotation around the vertical axis. When active, the chair will naturaly return to a "legs down" position. (no barrel rolls or loops). Especialy dangerous manuvers may require a finesse roll.
(Frederico's version causes minor earth tremmors as the chair takes off and lands)
(Base 4 (move stone very un-naturealy / +1 EXTERMELY un-natural movement (flight) / +3 for speed of flight and control / +5 levels for "item maintains concentration" / +5 levels for 24 uses per day.)

With my lab total of 47 I can't get this in a single season (minor enchantment), UNLESS I take the time limitation where the device stops working after 70 years. 70 years in fine with me. When it wears out I will have trained enough to make a better one. How does this look?

• Lebo77

+1 magnitude for Concentration duration, which you need if you're going to use the "item maintains concentration" option. On the other hand, you might not need that extra magnitude you added for "flight".

Right. I had it worked out yesterday, at 20, but I forgot that, so I woudn up at 15 and added the +1 to make up the diffrence. So attempt number 2:

Flying Throne
ReTe 30
R : Self / D : Conc. / T : Ind.
This effect allows the user of the enchanted granite throne to fly at speeds of up to 40 miles per hour. The operator need only concentrate to control the chair at take-off and landing, or when changing direction or altitude in flight. The chair is capible of hovering, and moving in any directon (foreward, backward, side to side) and rotation around the vertical axis. When active, the chair will naturaly return to a "legs down" position. (no barrel rolls or loops). Especialy dangerous manuvers may require a finesse roll.
(Frederico's version causes minor earth tremmors as the chair takes off and lands)
(Base 4 (move stone very un-naturealy / +1 Concentration / +3 for speed of flight and control / +5 levels for "item maintains concentration" / +5 levels for 24 uses per day.)

I had already designed the same effect as a spell (but I like your enchanted item). Here's my take:

The Stone Palanquin (ReTe 15)
Enchants a stone, large enough to bear the caster, to carry him along at his mental direction. The stone moves with a speed, direction, and height above the ground that he decides (maximum speed as of a galloping horse, maximum height of 10 paces above the ground). The stone can only maneuver across terrain that can support it, and so cannot cross water or crevasses without sinking, unless they are no more than 10 paces deep. If the caster directs the stone to maneuver rapidly, he may be forced to make a Dexterity + Agility roll or fall from the stone.
(Base 3, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +0 Ind, +1 for enhanced effect)

A more elaborate version would add a Corpus Requisite to keep the passenger glued in the seat until he decide to voluntarily leave it. Or increase size by +1 to take four additional Size 0 targets along for the ride.