entering the game and character creation

Creating a page is just a matter of creating a hyperlink to a new page. You do that by writing the title of your new page in between these: [[[ ]]]

A new page where? How is a new page created?

first you need to have your account added to the wikidot as a member of the game.

Also, @ditchhook , it should be noted that the gifted child was only a requirement for the Theban tribunal which was the first Tribunal opened. It is now past the time that new Magi in Thebes need to be gifted children.

How do I create a new page in (presumably) the wikidot? How do I accomplish "editing the main page [of the Wikidot] and adding a link"?

Once you have an account with wikidot that has permissions to edit this wiki, from the main page (which we can't edit), click to the Tribunal the character is going to be built for. Not all are open yet. On that Tribunal page down at the bottom click the edit button and in the magi section create a new link using something like:
[[[name-of-magus]]]
Once that is saved you can click that link and it will give an option to create the page.

first of all you wouldn't edit the main page. Go to the tribunal you want to be in (not all are open yet) and edit that page, add the character name between triple brackets and then save, when you have done that click on the link you have created- but first you have to have permission to edit, which you need to request either here or on discord by giving me your wikidot member handle in the appropriate thread/channel so I can invite you.

The Wikidot site instructs me to join by "clicking on the button at the top of the page" but I can find no such button.

Are you talking about creating the wikidot account or joining the amfightorflight wiki? The create account is in the very top almost furthest right. If the latter easier to just send Silveroak your wikidot handle here or on the Discord.

I have a wikidot account. My wikidot handle is the same as here: "ditchhook".

great, either in this forum or on discord there is a dedicated thread/channel for joining the wikidot where you can post your wikidot handle, and I will add you, which is what the already posted directions, as well as what I said above indicated you should do. There are a lot of things in this game which depend on your ability to follow these kinds of instructions to keep the game manageable.

Thanks. I'm in the wikidot game now. I'm told here that the original instructions at the top of this thread are out-of-date. ("It is now past the time that new Magi in Thebes need to be gifted children.") Are there updated instructions on how to start a character somewhere else?

How to start varies between tribunals, most of them are basically making magi (or companions or grogs) to varying specification. Many players prefer to come up with a name for their main (magi or companion) characters and start a thread to discuss ideas...

So when you state "to varying specification" you mean there is no guidance on age, on equipment, on levels of knowledge, beyond the Atlas publications and the "House and setting rules"?

Also: "Many players prefer to come up with a name for their main (magi or companion) characters and start a thread to discuss ideas..."

Start that thread at https://forum.atlas-games.com/c/play-by-post-campaigns/FightorFlight/83 ?

No, I mean that every Tribunal has different rules, regarding everything from how far past guantlet you can be to what the might of a magical character will be depending on which category it is supposed to fit into.
You would give me the name of the character and I start the thread to discuss development., yes in the flight or fight forum. You can also discuss general idea with the other players, here or on discord...

I keep trying to get the wiki page to register for Santino2020, though it will not create an account because it fails to send a confirmation email..I'm assuming this is where you wanted me to post silver

I get weird delays on that wikidot site evening USA time. You may need to just wait for traffic to die down.

Aight hopefully it will give me some love tomorrow then

Alright please invite Santino2020, apparently wiki dot has a bug where it won't send emails to addresses with numbers in them for confirmation (fyi for future players)

I've just got through character creation, and here's several things I wish I understood better when I began:

1. You are going to need (or create) three accounts:
    a. Here on the Atlas Games Forums;
    b. At Discord;
    c. At Wikidot.

2. My understanding is still weak on this, but I get the feeling that the in-character game goes on here at the Atlas Games Forum. OOC discussion of the mechanics goes on at Discord. Wikidot is where the big data reside: character sheets, Covenant and Tribunal Rolls, etc.

3. The story guide really wants things to be public, and gets angry when getting personal/private messages. This is a good idea in a game like this-- but it can be unexpected for new players. He will, however, try to hide public messages he finds embarrassing to himself.

4. You need to get the story guide's approval for the Wikidot access to the game there. Let the storyguide know your account name with a PUBLIC message here at Atlas Games Forum's Fight or Flight thread. Once he provides access to his game wiki, you can create a new page to contain your character data (character sheet) by first choosing to edit the page, and then adding the text [[[YourCharName]]] and saving. A new page is created, and you can go edit that page. I find Wikidot a bit wonky and slow; especially when I try to cut and paste a whole character sheet's worth of data in at once. Little edits seems to work fine, however. He doesn't demand a uniform style, you can peruse that data others have uploaded and pick a style the suits you.

5. Draw attention to your completed new character publicly here as well. The storyguide will typically create a thread here at Atlas Games Forum to critique your submission. He's a stickler for the official Ars Magica rules. Of course that's a good idea when so many strangers are getting together. I found out later that he's not consistent on that. I had to go through several iterations to get my submission up to his satisfaction.

6. One should not take this post as an endorsement to participate here. I found the story guide to be inconsistent to the point of disturbing, and rather a bully.