entering the game and character creation

if you are interested in joining the game, first apply to be part of the wiki: http://amfightorflight.wikidot.com/home:home
When you have a concept add a page for your character and create a Gifted companion between the ages of 5 and 14. The page may b created by editing the main page and adding a link with the format: [[[magus:character name]]] Despite the regular rules from the apprentices book, their improved education before being brought to the tribunal means characters over the age of 8 may have either educated or the arcane lore virtue. Children over the age of 11 may have both, while children under the age of 7 should probably have (but are not required to have) covenant upbringing.

Threads will then be opened here to discuss those characters and their advancement.

once an apprentice character is finished, players may construct a (non-apprentice) companion and grogs. If a player completes 6 grogs, they may then make a second non-apprentice companion, and then another apprentice if they desire. Magi may end up in different covenants, and magi of the same player must wind up in different covenants, but companions and grogs may be with the magi of other players to allow for better group dynamics.

for characters who do not have educated or arcane ability, the assumption will e that they have spent enough time in the school to have developed up to a level 2 ability in magic theory or Classical greek and up to a level:1 in arts liberales. These are paid for normally.

I was thinking of getting Hermetic Experience. Allowed?

If it is taken at age 14 or it can be substituted for one of educated or arcane knowledge if taken with covenant upbringing

I've posted my gifted companion child under thebes tribunal for review.

Can i used Privileged Upbringing to represent a Gifted Child Apprentice who is coming from a wealthy background? Arcane Knowledge and Educated are specifically called out, but i wanted to clarify before i get too attached to having all 3, or if i need to remove one, etc

For an apprentice in the Theban tribunal? No, or at least not with educated and/or arcane knowledge. I would allow them to substitute for one of them, but to be old enough to have benefited from a privileged upbringing you would have to have been discovered late enough to have given up one of the others.

1 Like

I've been thinking about making my one Mythic Companion as a hero-blooded character. Normally they are supposed to be Redcaps; would you be ok with one that wasn't? Just a hero-blooded person that hasn't been discovered by the Cult of Heroes?

(I am aware that I need to make some grogs before I can do that, but want to check on above first.)

Edit: Also, only somewhat related, what are the starting age rules for companions and grogs?

there are no starting age limits for companions and grogs, though it would severely suck for them to die of old age during character generation...

@silveroak what about a non-Redcap with Blood of Heroes, being undiscovered by the Cult (but it potentially coming up later)?

From the virtue:

You must take the Heroic Personality
Flaw (described below), and you must normally belong to
House Mercere. For most hero characters, this means taking
Redcap

sorry, I have no problem with this, as long as they still have a reason to be attached to the situations that exist.

Hi @silveroak, I have posted an initial version of Leaf of Criamon for the Provençal Tribunal, if you can open a thread here to propose and discuss, I would be grateful! It's in no way complete! I will now work on the spells. After that, about 7 years Post Gauntlet.

@silveroak

I have an apprentice post for the Theban Tribunal posted, could I get him looked at so I can make sure he is ready when new apprentice can be introduced?

http://amfightorflight.wikidot.com/irenious

I realize I haven't used this thread for a while, but:
if you have a character with a secret simply create a related tag in the wiki, such as [[[characternamesecret | Dark Secret]]] under flaws (or elsewhere if not a dark secret), to link to a second page with the secret elements. While this does not prevent people from looking at it, this will allow those who do not want to look at information which their characters would not know an easy way to avoid looking.

1200 will be the last year for apprenticeship characters in the Theban tribunal. in 1207 the tribunal will be too disrupted from the invasion, and anyone who begins apprenticeship in 1214 won't be gauntleted until 2028- by which time you would need a far more experienced magus
starting in 1204 foreign mages may enter the tribunal fresh from gauntlet believing themselves entitled to the spoils of conquest (though they should know better)...

How do you feel about Holy Magi? I originally thought they would be frowned upon because a major theme of the game is Divine as an enemy, but there are indications I shouldn't have assumed that...

Holy magi are welcome to be played, just understand that it may change some of the dynamics in the later game for your character.

Where do I add the page, at this forum or at wikidot? I've explored both sites and don't see a means to "add a page".