Errata Suggestions

Some creatures (e.g. horses, IIRC) get a bonus to Athletic rolls that involve running. That makes them faster, in the sense that it's harder to beat them on an opposed Athletic roll.

No, I missed them. It's really better to send errata directly to me by email, to make sure that I see them: arsmagica@davidchart.com

That makes sense and it is duely noted. My bad.

Entering and Leaving Regiones page 189.

Ease Factor : 5 + (2 x difference between current level's aura and sought level's aura)

This is not unclear , but using the word difference implies subtraction , not addition.

Note that in this example, the two auras are differently aligned. From a level 3 magic aura to a level 5 magic regio, there would only be a 2 level difference, but from a level 3 divine aura to a level 5 magic regio, there indeed is an 8 level difference.

Yes , in the case of two differently aligned auras.

What if it is the same Aura though?
To see from a level 03 Magic Aura into a level 05 Magic Regio?
The difference here is not 08 (afaics) , but the Ease Factor is the same.
This is like saying ,
that you must peer through the 03 levels of the aura you are in , to the mundane world
and then peer through the 05 levels of the Regio in question.

But that isn't the rule. The rule is 5 + (2 x difference), so if you're in a level 3 Magic aura and looking at a level 5 Magic regio, the Ease Factor is 9.

I don't think this is errata; I think the rules are correct as written.

I was getting confused with

treating it as the numerical difference , not the Realm difference.
I didn't think the rules were wrong , just unclear at the time. :blush:

Don't think this one has been addressed...

p 37- "All characters must take one Social Status (Virtue/Flaw), and may only take more than one if the description of the Virtues or Flaws explicityly note that they are compatible."

However, while there are several which (at least in past editions) have lent themselves readily to various Mage Character concepts (especially, but not exclusively, with House Jerbiton), not one "explicitly notes" that it is potentially compatible with "Hermetic Magus".

(most notably...)Major:
Landed Noble
Magister in Artibus

Minor:
Gentleman/woman
Knight
Priest

Flaws:
Outsider
Branded Criminal
If it was the intent of the writers/designers to ban any such "double life" for a magus (an errour imnsho), then stating so would clear up confusion sparked by echoes from past editions (rather than require a search, entry by entry). Otoh, if it was not, then making the above limitation undermines any possibility of doing so.

The Bonisagus/Magister in Artibus, the Jerbiton/Noble, the Ex Misc/Hedgemage/Criminal, the rare Christian Priest/Magus (or Maga!), the Jew or Moorish mage who suffers additonal prejudice - and many more - these are all combinations rich with possibility imo, and ones that should not be banned by the Rules As Written (which they currently are.)

City & Guild
I don't think that Wealth Multiplier is defined sufficiently, but I assume it's the 2,3,6 mentioned on p.38.
This being the case, the rules for exchanging Labour Points for cash given on p.40, should be 12,18,36 rather than 6,12,36

The rules for crafting a Wonderous Item on p.70 say that a crafter may have 1 assistant for every 2 points in Leadership. On p.72 it says he can only have 1.

The rules in the core book say that a master still earns a living while training an apprentice. But the Klaus example on p.75 has Hans training the apprentice without generating a workshop total or producing any goods. (If he did, he would have earned experience points in a bad reputation. In fact, for an apprentice to receive 2 seasons of exposure and 1 of training, someone would have to be working for 3 seasons, so someone will always be getting bad reputation experience).

True Lineages
The rules for gaining Acclaim Points on p.21 seem low for some kinds of research. For example "1/magnitude of spell" doesn't give much, and gives less for harder spells. I'm assuming "1+magnitude of spell" was intended.

Please take a look at my post a few messages up: errata should be sent directly to me at arsmagica@davidchart.com

Thanks.

I think the author actually intended it to be 1 point per magnitude of the spell, rather than 1 divided by the magnitude of the spell, which makes no sense.

Appologies for not sending the errata via email, i wasn't that confident my assesment was right, and wanted some community feedback.

Yeh, that could have been the case, i hadn't thought of that :blush:

Something else i failed to consider. In the Klaus, I believed that it implied a master needed 3 seasons per year to train an apprentice. It in fact only takes 2, as shown on p. 44. Hans should have had a season of practice (though, he'd already pumped those bellows for 3 seasons, the poor tyke deserved a rest :smiley: ).

in window of singular direction in true lineages on p. 141 the listed target of the spell is individual, though it has duration ring and involves drawing a circle on a wall- it seems to me this should be target:part since the entire wall is not affected.

1 Like