Esteban Development

So in the 5 years since Esteban last saw Carmen, Esteban has been seeking fortune and glory in various ways.

So far I've taken 90 XP (three years' worth) and 4 seasons in the lab (2 years' worth).

Most of Esteban's XP went into Parma Magica, Penetration, and Magic Theory.

In his lab time, he invented two spells: Veil of Invisibility and Unraveling the Fabric of Imaginem.

Does that sound right?

Actually, I had it in the backstory that the two of you were hanging out the whole time. Then you parted ways in Valencia just before the events of the current saga began.
:smiley:
But there could be some flow in and out, hung out a while here, went seperate ways there, ran into each other again later, etceteras.

You are shorting yourself as well. Four years is worth 120xp.

Let me run some numbers. I think I can come up with an easy formula for you :slight_smile:

Added 30 XP and put it all into Finesse so he can actually (maybe) hit something with Invisible Sling of Vilano.

Here's the character sheet as of that change:

Esteban de Barbastro
Saga: Light of Andorra
Characteristics: Int +2, Per 0, Pre +2, Com +1, Str +1, Sta +1, Dex +1, Qik 0
Size: 0
Age: 52 (47), Height: 5'8'', Weight: 165 lbs, Gender: Male
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 1 (8ΒΌ)
Confidence: 1 (8)
Virtues and Flaws: The Gift, Gentle Gift, Improved Characteristics, Inspirational (Bonus: +3 to targets' Personality Traits), Privileged Upbringing, Hermetic Magus, Social Contacts (Caballeros Villanos)*, Black Sheep, Deficient Form (Ignem), Higher Purpose (Reconcile Order of Hermes and Society), Proud
Personality Traits: Proud +3, Daring +2, Brave +3
Reputations: Wizard (Local) 2
Combat:
Dodge: Init: -1, Attack --, Defense +2, Damage --
Sword, Long & Shield, Buckler: Init: +0, Attack +11, Defense +8, Damage +7
Fist: Init: -1, Attack +3, Defense +2, Damage +1
Kick: Init: -2, Attack +3, Defense +1, Damage +4
Soak: +7
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: Arabic 3, Area Lore: Iberia 3 (Catalonia), Artes Liberales 2 (10), Athletics 1 (running), Awareness 2 (3), Brawl 2, Carouse 2, Catalan 5 (Upper class diction), Charm 2 (courtly love) (5), Code of Hermes 2 (mundane relations), Concentration 0, Etiquette 3, Finesse 4 (targeting), Folk Ken 2 (11), Guile 2, Hunt 2 (tracking), Intrigue 3 (alliances), Latin 5, Leadership 4 (caballeros villanos), Magic Theory 6 (enchanting items) (12), Parma Magica 4 (Mentem) (3), Penetration 3 (Mentem) (2), Philosophiae 1 (5), Ride 4 (battle), Single Weapon 5 (Sword, Long), Theology 1
Arts: Cr 11, In 8, Mu 7, Pe 8, Re 6, An 5, Aq 0, Au 4, Co 9, He 0, Ig 0, Im 13, Me 8, Te 7, Vi 6
Equipment: Shield, Buckler (Init: 0; Atk: 0; Dfn: +1; Str: -2; Cost: Standard); Rock Crystal Medallion (Creator: Esteban de Barbastro; Created: Spring 1213; Vis Capacity: 12; Talisman; Total Pawns Invested: 7; Total Effect Level: 61; Effect Name: Disguise of the New Visage; Effect Level: 17; Effect Details: R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Part, Frequency: 3/day; Arts: MuCo 15; Design: Base 3, +2 Sun, +1 Part, +1 Touch; Effect Name: Veil of Invisibility; Effect Level: 18; Effect Details: R: Per, D: Conc, T: Ind, Frequency: 6/day, Concentration; Arts: PeIm 10; Design: Base 5, +1 Conc; Effect Name: Summoning the Distant Image; Effect Level: 26; Effect Details: R: Arc, D: Conc, T: Room, Frequency: 2/day; Arts: InIm 25; Design: Base 2, +1 Conc, +2 Room, +4 Arc; Attunement Bonus: Rock Crystal: +5 clairvoyance; Jewelry: +4 transform self); Partial Chain Mail (Soak: 7) (Soak: 7; Protection: 6)
Encumbrance: 2 (3)

Spells Known:
Finding the Fuel of Magic (InVi 10) +15
Veil of Invisibility (PeIm 20) +22
Invisibility of the Standing Wizard (PeIm 15) +22
Sight of the Transparent Motive (InMe 10) +17
Phantasmal Animal (CrIm 20) +25
Wizard's Leap (ReCo 15) +17, Mastery 1
Bind Wound (CrCo 10) +21
Panic of the Trembling Heart (CrMe 15) +20
Prying Eyes (InIm 5) +22
Perception of the Conflicting Motives (InMe 15) +17
Posing the Silent Question (InMe 20) +17
Eyes of the Cat (MuCo(An) 5) +13
Aura of Ennobled Presence (MuIm 10) +21
Rise of the Feathery Body (ReCo 10) +16
Illusion of the Shifted Image (ReIm 10) +20
Wizard's Sidestep (ReIm 10) +20
Aura of Rightful Authority (ReMe 20) +15
Invisible Sling of Vilano (ReTe 10) +15, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)
Unravelling the Fabric of Imaginem (PeVi 15) +15

On my way to bed, then up in 6hrs to do it again untin 8am tomorrow.
My weekends are usually jammed full of work :slight_smile:
But Sunday night I will run some numbers and will probably have more xp for you (using the current HR's).
Presuming that this sheet is otherwise up to date, all I need to know is how many seasons you spent in the lab in total. Rough guess.
Oh, and what year was your gauntlet?
Actually, there is an easier way...
But I am sleepy.
Just the year of your gauntlet is all I need.

Even with Mark's correction, something looks strange:

Let's break this down into seasons. 5 years x 4 seasons/year = 20 seasons.

1 season wasted
9 seasons study/adventure/etc.
4 seasons in the lab

14 seasons

Even with Mark's adjustment, that's

1 season wasted
12 seasons study/adventure/etc.
4 seasons in the lab

17 seasons

Am I missing something? Or are you short several seasons over those five years?

Thanks. Esteban's Gauntlet was in 1205. He is just about the opposite of a lab rat. He spent a lot of time writing love poetry and riding into battle. Losing more seasons than a typical magus wouldn't bother him.

In the past 5 years, he's spent 4 seasons working in the lab.

Ran some numbers, and with your permission, I would like to adjust some scores.
Increase and add as follows :slight_smile:
Corpus 10, Order of Hermes Lore 3, Spanish 5 (Aragonese), Brawl 4, Thrown Weapon 3 (spear), Concentration 2, and Seven League Stride.
And a Mastery ability for Wizard's Leap (Fast Cast?).
Explanations: Taking Corpus up one point allows you to learn SLS in one season, which makes logistics and backstory explainations easier. Spanish 5 so you can be said to be bilingual, Catalan and Spanish are both "native" tongues. You are from Aragon-Catalonia, culturally Catalan it seems but your Caballero origins suggest Aragoneese ancestry. Brawl 4 makes more sense, and throwing spears/javelins was the style of combat for cavaliers in Iberia at the time (charge up, throw, pull back, repeat).And you lack Concentration.

Even still, by my calculations, you still have 8 seasons free. You can very well spend these writing poetry or chasing girls or whatever. You should get exposure xp for this though, 2xp in Charm or Profession: Scribe (another ability you lack, you need to learn how to write!). And you produce poetic works, which may be of humble quality, but you can write the equivilent of a Tractatus of poems in a season (subject could include some appropriate Lore or even Charm).

How my numbers break down
Born in 1178 (base 45xp, Native Language 5, Native Area Lore 2, 140xp Later Life)
Apprenticed at age 12 in 1190
Gauntlet at age 27 in 1205 (300xp & 150 levels of spells)
Age 27 to 32 (1205-1210) 6
Age 33 to 39 (1211-1217 7
Age 40 to 46 (1218-1224) 7
Age 47 to 51 (1225-1229) 5
now age 52 in 1230
100 seasons
-4 scrubbed
= 1555

-4s spells
-5s Talisman
-4s more lab
+26xp lab exposure
=273
-10xp Corpus (Corpus 10)
-1s Seven League Stride
+2xp Lab Exposure
-30xp Order of Hermes Lore (OoH Lore 3)
Mastery for Wizard's Leap? (Fast Cast?)
-75xp for Spanish 5 (Aragoneese)
-35xp Brawl (Brawl 4)
-30xp for Thrown Weapon 3 (spear)
-15xp for Concentration 2
=80xp remaining (or 8 seasons)

All of these sound good.

I'll put four of those into practice for Concentration to bring it up to 3 (as you know, writing and concentration go hand in hand), and put the other 4 into Exposure in Charm so it's almost 3.

Thanks for all the time and effort you put into straightening out my character. :slight_smile:

:smiley:

Just wanna be even steven.

I've put up the charsheet on the wiki
andorra.wikidot.com/esteban-of-j ... -charsheet

Yet it was difficult to see if I understood everything correctly in your back and forth. Could someone please check if everything's alright?

yeah, I noticed that too the other day when I was making my List of Member Magi :slight_smile:

I will check it out and make sure it is kosher