example covenants boons and hooks

Running the numbers for four covenants I found that books are very expensive compared to enchanted devices. If I were to do more rewriting than a few house rules i'd change the balance of covenant creation points.

Here is the first part of the list for stone bridge caverns

Stone Bridge caverns has items of three types, legacy items from its days as a bastion of hermetic strength and society (mostly reserved for their library, other items have been traded away to accommodate the covenant’s present situation), Items to allow two magi to endure in the covenant without the assistance of covenfolk, and items to defend themselves against a seemingly limitless army of troglodytes.

Plate of sustenance. A golden plate with two effects enchanted into it

• The holder, by twisting the plate in certain ways, can see the market squares in any of three cities. Permanent Arcane connections to the plate have been incorporated into the stonework of these markets. Base 1, +4 range AC, +1 duration concentration, target individual +10 levels unlimited uses level 20

• The plate can teleport some item from the market to the plate base Rego herbam (animal) base 35 (from rego corpus) +1 touch, +1 part,+1 requisite, +3 levels 6x per day level 53

Gate keeper, the tower in the center of the stone bridge is enchanted with a constant effect version of “Shadow of Human Life” which dutifully asks al passersby for tolls on the bridge Cr Im (Me) constant effect level 44

Gate warden, an enchanted arch located in the center of the stone bridge. This is enchanted with a single effect. Anyone who passes through the arch will feel an overwhelming desire to place payment for the toll for the bridge in a toll box (the covenant has conveniently provided one for travelers use).
CrMe base 4, +2 range special (equivalent to voice), +1 duration diameter, target individual +10 levels unlimited uses level 25

Wand of engineering, a wand with two effects used to alter the layout of the caverns and create defensible positions.

• Rock to sand Mu Te base 2, +2 range voice, +1 duration concentration, +1 target part (+2 size) +5 levels item maintains concentration +3 levels 6 uses per day level 28

• Move sand in an unnatural fashion Re Te base 3, +2 range voice, +1 duration concentration, +2 target group +3 levels six uses per day level 23

Tapestry of Warning, a tapestry that hangs in the main hall sewn into the tapestry is a rough and crude (yet beautifully sewn) map of the covenant’s cavern system. The tapestry is enchanted with two effects.

• Detect the intrusion of any human or human like creature into the covenant, all of the creatures that the tapestry detects show up n the sewn threads of the map base 4, +1 range touch, +2 duration sun, +3 target structure (+1 size) +4 levels constant effect +11 levels increased penetration level 50

• Scream whenever an intrusion into the covenant is detected Cr Im level 1 unlimited uses linked trigger level 14

A feather broom for dusting and a floor broom. Both of these items are enchanted to sweep and clean constantly. Note that it is the handles of these implements that are enchanted. The bristles and feathers need replacing fairly frequently. Rego Herbam base 10 +2 duration sun, +4 constant effect level 24 each

Ruby of Fires, a small gem that can be used to create fires that burn in the absence of fuel. CrIg base 5, +1 range touch, +3 duration moon, 4 levels 12 uses per day level 29

A large Abluere Magica as per Covenants p.52 level 15

An enchanted porter as per Covenants p.52 level 15

Four enchanted crossbows. These crossbows are the sentries that guard the covenant, The closest thing that the covenant has left to loyal grogs
• Automatically re-cock when fired ReHe base 3 range personal, duration momentary target individual, +3 levels environmental trigger, +10 unlimited uses per day level 16
• Make a crossbow bolt fly to the crossbow base 3, +3 range of a bow shot voice equivalent with a one magnitude penalty for non-standard range , +3 levels environmental trigger, +10 unlimited uses per day level 23
• Animate the crossbow to move and shoot as directed to by the covenant members. Rego Herbam Base 10, range personal, +2 duration sun, target individual, +1 magnetude item shoots with a skill of 1, +4 levels constant effect, +3 levels environmental trigger (command words) level 31
• Crossbows are as hard as steel MuHe base 4, +2 duration sun 4 levels constant effect level 14

So by this logic a character cannot be simultainiously subject to both disguise of the new visage and preternatual growth and shrinking as they both use the same guideline.

I cannnot find any requirement for a creo requisite. where did you see this?

Which ones?

A rock created in mid air is really twice as unnatural as wings of the soaring wind?

I'd have to say that it's less unnatural than disguise of the new visage, cloak of fire or eyes of the cat. I'd put it slightly above wall of protecting stone but slightly below the crystal dart or rusted decay of ten score years.

+1 magnetude because you could create the rock on the ground but instead it is created in mid air. +1 magnetude because there is a more natural option.

I've said this two posts ago and you've disagreed, but reading your response, I got a description of how you'd adjudicate different spells. I didn't get an understanding of why you'd choose to do them that way.

No, by my logic, two instances of Preternatural growth to boost your size will only have the effect of one.

The effect needs to be similar. I didn't think I had to go into details since I find it quite intuitive.

I cannnot find any requirementfor a creo requisite. wheredid you see this?
[/quote]

P.159 MuVi Guidelines Last phrase: ¨Any greater change requires either creo or perdo to create more magical energy or destroy some.¨

W

p.126. CrAu guidelines

+1 slightly innatural
+2 Very unnarutal
+4 Wholly divorced from its Normal context

Now I'm trying but I just can visualise a big boulder appearing naturally in the blue sky.

The way I interpreted the guidelines is that it is incresingly difficult to create elements when they are outside of their natural environments.

Your spell creates a boulder in mid air. What do you expect....

ps. Aldo I'm beeing a critic, I love the convenant you are creating in this thread.

W

So to you, changing the a spell's duration is more or less the same thing as changing it's range?

I didn't find that intuitive

I see. thanks for looking it up for me.

I don't think that I should apply this across multiple spells. By extension in order to be consistant I'd need to disallow using repeated castings of wall of protecting stone to create an enclosure without demanding that additional magnetudes be added in order to get to target structure. (and you didn't say that I should).

So we've two disagreements

You think that multiple muto vim spells that change different aspects of a target spell are close enough to being the same thing that they shouldn't stack. I see them as unabiguously different.

You think that creating a rock in mid air merits a greater penalty for being unnatural than I do.

William, thanks for taking the time to explain your point of view.

I'll put notes in the my post on the laboratory thread to note your concerns and I'll update the MuVi powers for a longer duration.

Yes

It is my opinion that if you allow 3 MuVi effects to boost a spell to be in effect at the same time while all having the same power level will lead to abuse.

MuVi Guideline: Significantly change a spell of less than the level +1 mag of the Vim spell. A change in power of plus or minus one magnetude is a significant change, as is a change of target, if the target was posible for the original spell.

Your first spell will modify the original spell by 1 magnetude is will remain active to sustain the change for the duration of the spell.

Your 2nd spell will try to modify the spell by yet another magnetude using the guideline that only allows to push a spell out of it's limit by 1 mag. I think that it should fail at this point.

I'm trying to point out that the 2nd & 3rd spells will not have the inner power to boost the original spell further.

In 4th ed, you could use vis to render sush a change permanent & then push it further powered by the vis. this is no longer possible in 5th ed using formulaic magic. Meaby you could acheive the effect you are pushing for with momentary rituals that would actually boost the spells. It would not fit into a magical object as a ritual. Even with the ritual avenue I have some arguments against it.

W

Libraries, here they are, I came up with names for the books with more than one copy in my little tribunal. Teh rest are named mechanically (i.e. Torpid serpent ignem tractatus number 2) there were just too many

Insula Libris

Name Skill/Art Type Quality Level Covenant
Insula Finesse Finesse Suma 11 5 Insula libris
Taedosa's tractatus 1 on Magic Theory Magic Theory Tractatus 12 Insula libris
Petrus' tractatus 1 on Magic Theory Magic Theory Tractatus 12 Insula libris
Claudius' tractatus 1 on Magic Theory Magic Theory Tractatus 14 Insula libris
Taedosa's commentary on Codex of the Spherical Metamorphosis Muto Commentary 13 Insula libris
Petrus' commentary on Codex of the Spherical Metamorphosis Muto Commentary 13 Insula libris
Claudius' commentary on Codex of the Spherical Metamorphosis Muto Commentary 15 Insula libris
Codex of the Spherical Metamorphosis Muto Suma 17 21 Insula libris
Insula Parma Magica Parma Magica Suma 11 5 Insula libris
Insula Penetration Penetration Tractatus 10 Insula libris

Market Crossroads

Name Skill/Art Type Quality Level
Animal: Market Crossroads 1S Animal summa 15 5
the irresistable wave Aquam summa 15 5
Artes Liberales: Market Crossroads 1 Artes Liberales tractatus 10
Auram: Market Crossroads 1S Auram summa 15 5
Concentration: Market Crossroads 1S Concentration summa 5 2
Constructuions of Clay and Bread Corpus summa 15 5
Creo: Market Crossroads 1S Creo summa 15 5
Finesse: Market Crossroads 1S Finesse summa 5 2
Herbam: Market Crossroads 1S Herbam summa 15 5
Voice of the Flame Ignem summa 15 5
The ill wrought Mirror Imagonem summa 15 5
Sound and Silence Imagonem tractatus 9
Imagonem: Market Crossroads 1 Imagonem tractatus 10
Imagonem: Market Crossroads 1 Imagonem tractatus 11
The Keys Intellego summa 15 5
Intellego: Market Crossroads 1 Intellego tractatus 10
Illumination Intellego tractatus 10
Latin: Market Crossroads 1S Latin summa 4 10
Magic Theory: Market Crossroads 1S Magic Theory summa 10 3
Mentem: Market Crossroads 1S Mentem summa 15 5
Mentem: Market Crossroads 1 Mentem tractatus 10
The Chrysalis Muto summa 15 5
Parma Magica: Market Crossroads 1S Parma Magica summa 10 3
Perdo: Market Crossroads 1S Perdo summa 15 5
Philosophae: Market Crossroads 1 Philosophae tractatus 10
Chains of Will Rego summa 15 5
Bones of the Titans Terram summa 15 5
The Lock Vim summa 15 5

Torpid Serpent

Animal: Torpid Serpent 1 Animal Tractatus 9
Animal: Torpid Serpent 2 Animal Tractatus 10
Aquam: Torpid Serpent 1S Aquam Summa 5 15
Trapped in a shell Aquam Tractatus 10
Auram: Torpid Serpent 1S Auram Summa 5 15
Auram: Torpid Serpent 1 Auram Tractatus 10
The invisible servant Auram Tractatus 10
Circling Winds of Protection: Torpid Serpent 1 Circling Winds of Protection Tractatus 10
Civil and Cannon Law: Torpid Serpent 1S Civil and Canon Law Summa 8 3
Corpus: Torpid Serpent 1S Corpus Summa 5 15
Corpus: Torpid Serpent 2 Corpus Tractatus 10
Swiftly dying fire Corpus Tractatus 11
Reflections on the first words Creo Tractatus 10
Bringing Flint to Steel Creo Tractatus 13
Faerie Lore: Torpid Serpent 1S Faerie Lore Summa 4 7
Finesse: Torpid Serpent 1 Finesse Tractatus 10
Finesse: Torpid Serpent 2 Finesse Tractatus 10
Herbam: Torpid Serpent 1S Herbam Summa 5 15
Herbam: Torpid Serpent 1 Herbam Tractatus 10
Ignem: Torpid Serpent 1S Ignem Summa 5 15
The ill wrought Mirror Imagonam Summa 15 5
Sound and Silence Imagonam Tractatus 9
The Keys Intellego Summa 15 5
Intellego: Torpid Serpent 1 Intellego Tractatus 9
Magic Lore: Torpid Serpent 1S Magic Lore Summa 5 10
Magic Lore: Torpid Serpent 1 Magic Lore Tractatus 9
Magic Lore: Torpid Serpent 2 Magic Lore Tractatus 10
Magic Lore: Torpid Serpent 3 Magic Lore Tractatus 11
Magic Theory: Torpid Serpent 1S Magic Theory Summa 15 5
Magic Theory: Torpid Serpent 3 Magic Theory Tractatus 9
Magic Theory: Torpid Serpent 1 Magic Theory Tractatus 10
Immenence and forms Magic Theory Tractatus 10
Bonisagus, Notatus, and the legacy of the tower Magic Theory Tractatus 11
Mentem: Torpid Serpent 2 Mentem Tractatus 12
Mentem: Torpid Serpent 1 Mentem Tractatus 8
Muto: Torpid Serpent 1 Muto Tractatus 11
Occult Lore: Torpid Serpent 1S Occult Lore Summa 2 7
Parma Magica: Torpid Serpent 1 Parma Magica Tractatus 10
Parma Magica: Torpid Serpent 2 Parma Magica Tractatus 10
Parma Magica: Torpid Serpent 3 Parma Magica Tractatus 10
Parmaof the Tree Parma Magica Tractatus 10
Perdo: Torpid Serpent 1S Perdo Summa 5 15
The hourglass in motion Perdo Tractatus 10
Pillum of Fire: Torpid Serpent 2 Pillum of Fire Tractatus 9
Pillum of Fire: Torpid Serpent 1 Pillum of Fire Tractatus 11
Chains of Will Rego Summa 15 5
Command and Magesty Rego Tractatus 10
Rego: Torpid Serpent 1 Rego Tractatus 11
Bones of the Titans Terram Summa 15 5
Vim: Torpid Serpent1 Vim Tractatus 8
Vim: Torpid Serpent2 Vim Tractatus 10

Stone Bridge Caverns

Animal: Stone Bridge 2S Animal Summa 16 10
Animal: Stone Bridge 1S Animal Summa 21 6
Animal: Stone Bridge 1 Animal Tractatus 11
Aquam: Stone Bridge 1S Aquam Summa 12 18
the irresistable wave Aquam Summa 15 5
Trapped in a shell Aquam Tractatus 10
Artes Liberales Stone Bridge Artes Liberales Summa 10 2
Auram: Stone Bridge 1S Auram Summa 21 6
The invisible servant Auram Tractatus 10
Concentration; Stone Bridge 1 Concentration Tractatus 9
Concentration; Stone Bridge2 Concentration Tractatus 11
Constructuions of Clay and Bread Corpus Summa 15 5
Corpus: Stone Bridge 1 Corpus Tractatus 8
Swiftly dying fire Corpus Tractatus 11
Corpus: Stone Bridge3 Corpus Tractatus 12
Creo: Stone Bridge 1S Creo Summa 21 6
Creo: Stone Bridge 1 Creo Tractatus 7
Creo: Stone Bridge 2 Creo Tractatus 8
Creo: Stone Bridge3 Creo Tractatus 9
Reflections on the first words Creo Tractatus 10
Creo: Stone Bridge 5 Creo Tractatus 11
Creo: Stone Bridge 6 Creo Tractatus 12
Bringing Flint to Steel Creo Tractatus 13
Faerie Lore Stone Bridge Faerie Lore Summa 10 5
Finesse Stone Bridge Finesse Summa 15 4
Finesse; Stone Bridge 1 Finesse Tractatus 8
Finesse; Stone Bridge 2 Finesse Tractatus 9
Finesse; Stone Bridge 3 Finesse Tractatus 11
Finesse; Stone Bridge 4 Finesse Tractatus 12
Herbam: Stone Bridge 2S Herbam Summa 12 18
Herbam: Stone Bridge 1S Herbam Summa 21 6
Herbam: Stone Bridge 1 Herbam Tractatus 9
Herbam: Stone Bridge 2 Herbam Tractatus 11
Voice of the Flame Ignem Summa 15 5
Ignem: Stone Bridge 1 Ignem Tractatus 8
Ignem: Stone Bridge 1 Ignem Tractatus 9
Imagonem: Stone Bridge 1S Imagonem Summa 21 6
Sound and Silence Imagonem Tractatus 9
Infernal Lore Stone Bridge Infernal Lore Summa 7 2
The Keys Intellego Summa 15 5
Illumination Intellego Tractatus 10
Intellego: Stone Bridge 2 Intellego Tractatus 12
Magic Lore Stone Bridge Magic Lore Summa 12 6
Magic Theory Stone Bridge Magic Theory Summa 10 6
Magic Theory Stone Bridge 1 Magic Theory Tractatus 7
Magic Theory Stone Bridge 2 Magic Theory Tractatus 8
Magic Theory Stone Bridge 3 Magic Theory Tractatus 9
Immenence and forms Magic Theory Tractatus 10
Bonisagus, Notatus, and the legacy of the tower Magic Theory Tractatus 11
Magic Theory Stone Bridge 6 Magic Theory Tractatus 12
Magic Theory Stone Bridge 7 Magic Theory Tractatus 13
Mentem: Stone Bridge 2S Mentem Summa 13 11
Mentem: Stone Bridge 1S Mentem Summa 21 6
Mentem: Stone Bridge 1 Mentem Tractatus 11
Muto: Stone Bridge 2S Muto Summa 13 11
The Chrysalis Muto Summa 15 5
Muto: Stone Bridge 2 Muto Tractatus 8
Muto: Stone Bridge 1 Muto Tractatus 9
Parma Magica Stone Bridge Parma Magica Summa 15 5
Parma Magica; Stone Bridge 1 Parma Magica Tractatus 9
Parmaof the Tree Parma Magica Tractatus 10
Parma Magica; Stone Bridge3 Parma Magica Tractatus 11
Perdo: Stone Bridge 1S Perdo Summa 21 6
Perdo: Stone Bridge 1 Perdo Tractatus 9
The hourglass in motion Perdo Tractatus 10
Perdo: Stone Bridge3 Perdo Tractatus 11
Philosophae Stone Bridge Philosophae Summa 16 4
Rego: Stone Bridge 2S Rego Summa 16 10
Rego: Stone Bridge 1S Rego Summa 21 6
Rego: Stone Bridge 1 Rego Tractatus 9
Command and Magesty Rego Tractatus 10
Rego: Stone Bridge3 Rego Tractatus 11
Terram: Stone Bridge 2S Terram Summa 13 11
Bones of the Titans Terram Summa 15 5
Terram: Stone Bridge 1 Terram Tractatus 9
Terram: Stone Bridge 2 Terram Tractatus 10
Terram: Stone Bridge 3 Terram Tractatus 11
Terram: Stone Bridge 4 Terram Tractatus 12
The Lock Vim Summa 15 5
Vim: Stone Bridge 1 Vim Tractatus 9
Vim: Stone Bridge 2 Vim Tractatus 11

Here is the rest of the enchanted devices from stone bridge caverns. I went wild with this covenant. Imagining a 200+ year old covenant trading away anything that it could in order to get the tools it needed to thrive in its new environment.

The library room of stone bridge caverns is enchanted with two effects
• A constant spell of “Books that Scream in pain” as Covenants page 100 base 5 range personal, +2 duration sun, +2 target room, +1 requisite, +4 levels constant effect level 34.

• A spell that retrieves or puts away any book in the room ReAn base 1, +1 range touch , duration momentary , target individual +10 levels unlimited uses. level 12

The Library register of Stone Bridge Caverns is enchanted to update the status of any book that the covenant has Re He (In Im) base 3, +1 Range touch, +2 Duration sun +2 Target Room, +4 levels constant effect level 24.

Amulet of the third hand, an amulet with one power Maintain the demanding spell for spells up to level 30 base 20, +2 range voice, +1 duration concentration, 5 levels item maintains concentration, +3 six uses per day level 43

Wand of pain, a wand made from a bone of Troglodyte who attacked a covenfolk in the first year of the conflict. It is enchanted with one effect create incapacitating wounds on its targets base 20, +2 range voice, duration momentary, +2 target group, +15 levels penetration, +3 levels 6 uses per day. Level 58

Crystal of clarity a gem enchanted with a single power, to dispel any imagonem magics in a room (of level 25 + stress die or lower) PeVi base 5, +1 range touch, + 2 target room (+1 size), +2 duration sun +2 levels 3 uses per day level 37

Scales of Hermetic mercantile. A set of silver scales with two enchantments
• Scales of the magical weight InVi level 5, +1 level 2 uses per day level 6
• Sense the nature of vis InVi level 5, +1 level 2 uses per day level 6

Ring of thresholds, a silver ring enchanted with one power Piercing the Magic Veil InVi as piercing the faerie veil from p 158 of the core book with the range raised to touch and the item maintaining concentration 12 uses per day level 34

The enchanted chef as covenants page 52 level 45

A huge prodigious plant pot as covenants page 121 with target changed to group level 35

Box of seeds, A box that is enchanted to prevent any seeds within it from spoiling CrHe base 1, +1 range touch, +2 duration sun, +2 target group, +4 levels constant effect Level 14

Horn of Deer fascination, an antler that will fascinate the first animal of size -1 to +1 that looks at it each day base 5, +3 range sight, +2 duration sun, +3 levels environmental trigger level 33