Examples of Casting Tools

Would anyone care to share some examples of casting tools they have created for their Verditious Magi? I can find exactly two examples in all of cannon, and I need some more ideas.

3 Likes

Do you mean actual, simple, casting tools, or enchanted casting tools, as per the mystery?

1 Like

Simple casting tools. The sort every verditious mage needs to cast formulaic spells.

3 Likes

Some canon examples are needles and hammers. But they don't need to be "tools" per se, as in wrenches or sewing needles. A verditius with FFM might wear rings with adjustable knobs. If you like anime go for dolls made of cloth. Or puppets (another canon examples.) If you have consumed casting tools as a flaw they could be edible cookies (crustulum) or a purse full of coins that vanish upon spending.

5 Likes

Where is the Puppet example listed? I scoured my sources and could not find it. In cannon and the forum, there seems to be some conspiracy not to give specific examples.

2 Likes

It's from an old edition, don't remember the book. The magus specialized in ReCo and was the covenant defender. He manipulated puppets that could lift up and toss enemies.

Maybe someone else remembers which book.

1 Like

The Verditius in the saga I play in wears a charm bracelet, with charms for every form or spell.

Another in one of my old saga used jeweler tools.

I’ve seen a food-based Verditius use baking supplies, like measuring cups, bowls, and spoons.

3 Likes

Thank you to everyone who replied. I have had trouble coming up with ideas, and it has frustrated me that examples are so lean. Only two 5e examples, one of which doesn't seem to work (unless it is actually possible to make a hammer and drum in about an hour, which I doubt).

2 Likes

Also, how do your characters integrate the tools into the spell casting process? Do they go through the complete verbal and somatic processes, then brandish the tool to make the spell take effect, or is brandishing the tool integrated into the gestures somehow? It seems "slow caster" should perhaps be de rigueur for Verditius magi.

2 Likes

My Verditius has little charms that hang on short chains from his belt like a set of castellan's keys.

A tiny hammer in the shape of a cross: Demon's Banishing Touch.

A little metal shield with symbol for Vim on it: Circular Ward against Demons.

A tiny metal Caduceus: Bind Wounds.

A small metal spider: Doublet of Impenetrable Silk.

A charm in the shape of a hand with an outstretched index finger: Shush of Mundane Silence.

A tiny metal charm in the shape of a bellows: Heat of an Actual Forge.

4 Likes