Experience

I probably know the answer (so don't kill me :smiley: ), but I will ask anyway...

After working through the exp system, it occurs to me there is a 'logical' fault.
A magus on an adventure earns more experience than a Magus working in his lab, creating a magic item.

This is very illogical.

A Magus in the field, is not really studying. He is out doing stuff...killing things, finding things, and making relationships.

A Magus in his lab creating a device is directly working (for the whole season) with an Form and Tech. He is using his craft, designing and building something.

Sooooo, why does the Mage at home get two exp and the mage out on adventure get 2-4 times that amount? (PLEEEASE, don't say game balance)

To put this in perspective: A mage spend eight seasons making an item.
Another mage spends eight seasons out doing things....
The Mage making items gets 16 exp. The mage on adventure gets 32-64 exp. Doesn't seem right that soemone who throws a ball a couple of times of day, gets better faster than someone who plays baseball everyday...all day.
:question:

//To put this in perspective: A mage spend eight seasons making an item.
Another mage spends eight seasons out doing things....
The Mage making items gets 16 exp. The mage on adventure gets 32-64 exp.//
The magi in the lab also gets the result of the labwork.. a spell an item or whatever. But still, I get your point.
Consider this then:
A third magus spends his eight seasons in the library. He would get 48-90.
A fourth magus spends his eight seasons being the single student of a good teacher. He would get 110-180.
I don't have a problem with lab work granting a meeger two exposure XP since you still get something else as well.
But let's face it. Magi don't go on adventures for the XP. They go because the GM makes them. At least mine do.

Hail Eris!
Flarg

Would it make any difference if I said the problem was waaay worse in ArM4?
You don't get that many xp from adventuring anyway, and most magi will do some adventuring, but spend more time in the lab and library.
It's not like it's really pays of to go adventuring - xp wise.

Okay, lets dig to the root of the problem.

There are supposedly Verditius out there that craft items for the order...these items show up in various ways...
If Verditius are so busy crafting items, how can they possibly find time to study? This is of course a simple way of looking at it, but I think you can see where I am going with this...You get the same experience for being someones lacky (lab assistant), as you do for expending your magic and creating an item. This experience should be more than "repeatedly casting" a spell (4-5). Repetition is refining what you know. Creation is an act of discovery....(especially with Hermetic Magic).
plus...
If Verditius are making items for others...what does he get? (other than 2 pts)
{I had a post on another forum where I asked for pricing for items, and it was...uncertain. Everyone had some idea what it should be, but didnt factor stuff in....No 'monetary' system....but thats another discussion...}
If a Flambeau takes a job killing yon creature, he gets adventure exp, (probably) Vis, and maybe monetary considerations...
:unamused: Thats what they do...
It seems really strange that Verditius don't get experience for creating new things....after all, it's the 'Verditius adventure'

:wink: