faerie features

Hello,

I have a question about the Faerie features associated with the Nymph. I would think that stat wise they would be the same as Satyr, just being the female aspect of sexuality instead of the Satyr male. Associated with water and streams instead of forests. But in art, there is typically nothing to give them away physically, like the Satyr or Sidhe.

I was thinking ocean blue eyes, blood looks like water, but nothing comes to mind as a physical mark of heritage for strong Fae blood.

Would it be in RoP: Faerie? (i so need that book )

RoP: F does offer a few suggestions for Tree Nymphs, but they're largely in the same league as yours. Presumable this is because making their appearance too exotic would hinder their ability to seduce unsuspecting men (Satyrs rely on rape so this is less of a problem for them).

RoP: Faerie is a very cool book, but certainly not required to play a faerie-blooded character.

~ gremlin44

How about an unearthly beauty? You get a +2 bonus to all interactions with male characters (or other sexually compatible characters), and a -1 reaction from all females (sexually incompatible/competition characters).

Just random ideas :smiley:

ohh i like the -1

No negative reaction i think, they´re attractive not "showoffs".

It isn't about showing off. It is about jelousy and percieved competition. That, and the standard ASD some women put up when another woman they percieve as a trollop comes nosing around the men in their family or cirle of friends.

Nymphs have a lot of different forms.
Your interpretation above isn't how the myths developed, and you are assuming the genders of this style of faerie are not statistically dimorphic, neither of which we went with in our examples, but if you want it, you should just do it.

Nymphs are associated with natural features near humans settlements and they have many civilised features. Kalypso for example has a house and performs handcrafts. She's not just a wild bacchanalian thing. There are some who are, though. My point is that you are narrowing down to a definition, rather than expnading up to a class of being, and in the book our intention is to suggest, not proscribe. We give hints, not details.

Many nymphs in art don't look sexually mature as period people. To modern people, because we now idealize teenage features in women, this is hard to pick, but medievals knew that nymphs look like young teenagers. That being said, there are some that don't.

I'd be against them having certain marks on a role-wide basis...

No. the take there is different, but the take there doesn't say "You are wrong" so much as "Do what you like and find a justification in here somewhere and then talk to your troupe." If you want a water nymph who is like a female satyr and has blue eyes and clear, saline blood, then you just do it, and have fun with it. What's right for you is -right- and as you have described it is well within the potential range for faerieness described in RoP:F.

Water and streams, then you´re probably talking more about naiads specifically, which are a "subtype" of nymphs.

Which isnt an automatic reaction. Thats what i meant by "showoff", that it takes something more than just beauty itself to cause such jealousy etc etc.
Thats why i consider it wrong to make it a blanket effect.
An effect that MAY cause such a reaction(a character that has a personality that includes "jealous+3" would be almost automatic for the reaction, but in another character a very opposite reaction of adoration or similar is just as likely), thats far better.
But it shouldnt be limited to being able to cause only a negative reaction.

The taxonomy of nymphs wasn't well-known in the medieval period, despite being relatively clear in classical times. Each of the families of nymphs typically had a titan for a father, mother, or both. They were basically the spirits of natural features, and under ArM5 cosmology are as likely to be from the Magic Realm as the Faerie Realm. It all depends on the role they play. If they are simply nature spirits, then they are probably Magic (florae, or spirits of the elements). If they are all about seducing young men, then they are faeries.

'Nymphs' as a term rarely appears in medieval literature. In Greece, they are all basically called neirides, classically a term for a water nymph but by the C13 used as a blanket term for all female faerie-types.

Mark

Yah i was refering to the Naiads.

I wanted a "negative" type fairy feature because as far as game play is concerned, the faerie blood examples all have some sort of physical feature that would make them seem strange to mundanes.

I thought it would be a little broken to have the flaw aspect of Strong Faerie Blood be the same as the Virtue unaging.

Then again intense beauty would have it's own set of problems. As it does in the real world.