Faith & Flame: The Provençal Tribunal

That is correct.

The cover is Mistridge. Care to guess who might be standing in the doorway? (It is also true that things do not look good for Mistridge.)

There is no covenant called Doissetep in the book. Any resemblance between any covenant in the book and a covenant that was called Doissetep in a previous edition of the game may not be completely coincidental.

Bear in mind that we last saw the Provencal Tribunal in 1197. The Albigensian Crusade has gone through since then, and it has had a major impact on the Order. Val-Negra has its own chapter, and Bellaquin is there, but other ArM2/3 covenants have suffered. Their fates are important plot points for the current Tribunal. Nevertheless, this is the "standard" Tribunal, where pretty much all the default assumptions from the core rulebook hold.

1 Like

It appears to be a large group of martyrs if I'm not mistaken. Or possibly foul sinners masquerading as soldiers of God, shortly before facing eternal torment in hell. Or maybe some combination. I do not envy Mistridge. It is going to be really annoying to explain to the Quaesitors how they weren't at fault for this. And even if they do its still gonna look bad. And embarrassing besides. :wink:

If it's called Petessiod, I might be able to forgive you. :wink: Seriously though, if it's easy to file off and just rebrand it to the original... I guess I can live with that.

If you're asking, it's bound to be Grimgroth. :wink:

You make my Ars Magica side so happy.

For reasons I cannot disclose I find this comment quite amusing...

NDA applies but I'm very proud of the work we all did for this one, even if felt like we went through the Albigensian Crusade itself to bring it to light.

Enjoy!

Well, I don't know how often this was delayed internally, but so far the tribunal books always came out around October (making for good birthday presents for me :smiley:).

It could be Gromgroth, but I vote for one of the others, like Felix Necromius. The sickly green made me chose that even if it does not correspond to the sigil of any of the Mistridge magi from the old 3rd edition supplement (grimgroth humid breeze, Felix smell of putrefaction, Clavius smell of burnt flesh, Vulcris feathers, Oculus blue patina).

There is a (Windgraven?) maga in front of him in any case, so this does not look like a mere mundane attack. The idea of crusading magi (on both sides of the conflict) also takes strength looking at this image.

Xavi

Ok play this way. It's a 5th ed book. So what do we already know in 5th ed canon? :slight_smile:

I will most certainly buy this, even if I have to swim across the atlantic ocean to do so!

Can we murder the White Wolf version of Rome next, please? That Tribunal really doesn't work with the recent trend of giving each Tribunal a distinct local character. Rome needs a Senate (and a new take on the Church).

I second the notion that a revision of Rome should be the next tribunal book. :stuck_out_tongue:

Or maybe Iberia ^^
You know "craft hex toys [painful ones]"...
And Iberia is a great place to play :slight_smile: and there is a translation of Ars Magica in spanish i think so maybe they could be happy to have there tribunal done ^^

I totally agree about the senate, Republican rome should exert an enormous degree of mythic influence on the peninsular, I don't have enough knowledge to comment on the church.

Bob

Oh by Hermes Trimegistus please. I just begun to open that threat on debate fan based at least, on the Spanish forum i mean. And where i can do it too.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

It's finally here!

Now we have all of Mythic Europe!

The only bad thing I can think about Atlas Games making this book is that I will have to wait for at least 90 days before it will be published. If I only had a time machine...

Rome, yes. The setting is a lot of fun, and there are so many upgrades and improvements that can be made while still retaining the beauty of the original.

Iberia, the thought makes me cringe. That book is sacred to me, flaws and all, and very controversial. There are some parts everyone hates. But there are some parts that some of us hold dear, such as the original Flambeau origin story. If Iberia were remade for 5th edition, they would have to scrap that story and I would forever hate that book and hold a grudge. Best to wait for a new edition, when we can scramble the story again and go back to that original beautiful tale.

On the other hand, it has come to my attention that Ars gamers have a vastly distorted and inaccurate knowledge of the history of Hispania. Flambeau story aside, a book with the accurate record of Iberian history and myths would make me very happy if done well. IF is a big word though.

Since the Flambeau origin story has already been recounted in HoH:S, maybe it'd just get left out. There's certainly lots of other things to cover and there's no need to be redundant unless there's more to say on it for 5th edition.

Having written for a few Tribunal / not-Tribunal books (eg tCatC) now I'd actually prefer we do a small region within existing areas in great detail instead.

It's something Timothy suggested a while back - he proposed Venice.

I agree that the Rome Tribunal has a lot of untapped potential - it's the reason I started the Mythic Genoa project over on my blog. It's an attempt to detail in ArM5 terms a specific part of the area that was largely untouched by the ArM3 book - Genoa and it's colonies, including the contested areas of Corsica and Sardinia and expanding into other areas where there was significant Genoese presence in 1220 ie. the Tyrrhenian Sea, North Africa, Alexandria, the Levant and even possibly the Black Sea / Crimea (slightly later on admittedly).

It would be good to see such in depth expansions of a particular area of interest - not unlike the old Mistridge supplement that detailed a small in depth section of the Provencal Tribunal, rather than the more encompassing overview that is the current format of the Tribunal Books. Not just a beginning adventure but a home base for beginning players to have the characters to explore from during the first few sessions etc. Not unlike having an Autumn / Winter covenant as a base rather than starting off as a Spring covenant which is actually quite a complicated way to start a Saga IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I like Tribunal (and not-Tribunal) books but we've covered nearly everything now and there is a need I believe for more of a "Ars Primer Campaign" or similar. I tried to something a bit like this in Provencal. Hopefully it worked. Timothy was interested in doing this for another book that's pending but it didn't quite suit the overall pitch for the book so it was excised for further consideration hopefully at a later date. Some of the sections of AtD support this kind of approach I believe.

Timothy may have more to say about this at some stage I expect. :slight_smile:

1 Like