Fan Grimoire?

These are good ideas. There have been some threads in the past to collect things. Maybe use this thread to collect links to some other threads and also as a place to add more spells?

I would recommend having a group look over the spells to make sure there is validity. Just because someone submits a spell doesn't mean it's been checked thoroughly. But if the grimoire's spells (or items) have all been checked thoroughly, then it can be a much better resource for people.

7 Likes

Would you be willing to look over the spells/enchantments? I know you've done a lot of work in sending spells to be erratta'd, from the official books.

I should be able to do that.

3 Likes

So, a good place to start would be to link to a whole bunch of great threads people have already made. I'll start some here, though I haven't checked the spells or items yet in most cases:

4 Likes

If you are going to grab a collection of enchanted items I've posted, I would suggest looking at the Covenant collection rather than just the one for my character's lab. It is over an order of magnitude bigger.

EDIT: It also covers a wide range of items, rather than just ones which are mostly only useful in improving a lab.

3 Likes
6 Likes
1 Like

There seems to be a whole bunch of spells in the varies old game sub-forums. Here are three I found with a quick look.

We'll have to make an effort to ask people if they want spells included and to attribute the spells to the writers.

1 Like

We should be aware that not everyone on this forum is still active, however...

Note that the spellswiki tried to collect fan spells (& items) back in the day. It's no longer really maintained, and doesn't include the above threads and such.

http://spellswiki.wikidot.com/

2 Likes

It's a wiki on wikidot. In theory, I'd expect anyone with a wikidot account to be able to edit, though I haven't actually tested this.

Here are some of mine I don't think I've posted to a thread anywhere here and are not just R/D/T variants of canonical spells. If anyone sees any problems, I can edit them here.

Daemon’s Dodge (PeCo 45)
R: Personal, D: Diameter, T: Individual
The caster loses solidity so physical things pass right through the caster and the caster may pass right through physical things. The spell was invented by Christophorus of Flambeau, trained in the School of Apromor and with Deficient Rego, who wanted to replace wards for combat. Casting requisites are recommended to avoid dropping everything worn or carried.
(Base 40, +1 Diameter)

Fear Not the Magus (PeMe 25)
R: Eye, D: Moon, T: Individual
The emotional reaction to the caster’s Gift is quelled in the target. Christophorus of Flambeau, trained in the School of Apromor and with Deficient Rego, invented this spell as an alternative to Trust Me.
(Base 5, +1 Eye, +3 Moon)

Object of Minuscule Proportions (MuTe 25)
R: Touch, D: Concentration, T: Individual
The touched object’s volume and weight are reduced to 1/10000 of normal. Each dimension shrinks by a factor of 21.5.
(Base 4, +1 Touch, +1 Concentration, +2 stone/glass/metal/gems, +1 increased shrinking effect)

Breathe Life into the Art (MuTe(An) 20)
R: Touch, D: Concentration, T: Individual
This spell transforms a sculpture of an animal into the animal it represents, assuming the animal is no bigger than Size +1 and the sculpture is no bigger than an Individual. Casting requisites may be needed if the sculpture is made of non-Terram/Animal material, such as wood. As with other non-permanent, created animals, the animal is not disturbed by the Gift.
(Base 5, +1 Touch, +1 Concentration, +1 stone)

Sifting Sand (ReTe 4)
R: Touch, D: Momentary, T: Group
The caster picks up a pile of sand in one or two hands when casting this spell, and then lets it sift through their fingers. The spell prevents the good quartz sand from leaving the caster’s hand(s) while letting the rest fall, thus separating the sand desired for glass production from the other material that had been mixed with it.
(Base 1, +1 Touch, +2 Group)

Glob of Glass (ReTe 5)
R: Touch, D: Momentary, T: Group
The caster touches a pile of sand, and it becomes a single glob of glass, ready to be used by spells like the Invisible Glassworker. A Finesse roll of 9 is required to make suitable glass; lower rolls are likely to leave unmelted grains of sand mixed with glass.
(Base 2, +1 Touch, +2 Group)

Tailored to Target (MuVi Gen)
R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Individual
The target spell, which may be no more than double the level of this spell - 20, is altered to Warp as though it were designed for the target this spell is designed for, thus preventing Warping as a “powerful mystical effect.” A new version of this spell is required to protect another individual from Warping similarly. This spell was designed at Sun Duration so it would be useful for healing Rituals as well as other effects.
(Base General, +1 Touch, +2 Sun)

Master of Enchantments (ReVi 5)
R: Personal, D: Momentary, T: Individual
The caster activates an effect with a known trigger in an item that the caster wears or holds and is small enough to be covered by Personal Range.
(Base 5)

Master of the Talisman (ReVi 25)
R: Arcane Connection, D: Momentary, T: Individual
The caster activates an effect with a known trigger on an object to which the caster has an arcane connection. As magi always have arcane connections to their own Talismans, this can consistently be used on their own Talismans, commonly to activate a transportation effect in the Talisman so the caster may summon the Talisman from anywhere.
(Base 5, +4 Arcane Connection)

4 Likes

I'm trying to think through the best way to coordinate some stuff. Here are the things I'm considering:

1. Collecting many spells without losing track of having checked lists.
  2. Figuring out who is willing to be included. (Attributing spells should be trivial.)
  3. Checking spells to make sure they're generally accepted.

Right now I'm thinking the best way might be to start with a single source, which could be a thread, wiki dot, etc. (e.g. 30 days of little spells). With a single source, the number of authors could be smaller and it's easier to not lose track of which spells have been copied, so checking for interest on being included could be faster and staying organized could be easier. Then a single post here could include all the spells to be vetted. After vetting here they could be added to a pdf.

I'm willing to help review spells not created by me, and yes, doing it thread by thread is best.

Issue 2, Figuring out who is willing to be included. (Attributing spells should be trivial.), seems like a non-issue for the most part. These spells were shared online ostensibly for the purpose of other players reusing them. There still may be an attribution issue but I figure forum user names and the like should be acceptable for those who don’t respond to an attribution preference. Original additions for this project are obviously giving permission so that’s a complete non-issue.

1 Like

The best way, in my opinion is to have a google doc where those interested in reviewing others' spells can leave comments about each spell.

That's probably a good way to go about it. If you're compiling the pdf, I suggest you own the google doc. We can send you gmail accounts for editing unless you want to make it generally editable.

1 Like

Going to be giving me flash backs of doing peer reviewed intel papers.

Here's another Fan Grimoire from the Iron Bound Tome Ars Magica Blog. They're pretty great overall, IMO.

New Spells for Ars Magica | The Iron-Bound Tome (wordpress.com)

1 Like