First Council Meeting

While I would prefer a shield grog, just someone to deal with folks we run into would seem a good idea. If David has not left yet, he could lend his shield grog (which is the other grog I need to stat). I am not sure which are David's two seasons of service. If the story permits him to stay and help talk to people this season, that would be good. It would also allow him to leave with a list of things the proto-covenant is looking to trade for.

Old Temple sites:
Ghar Dalamt, Skorba, Ta Hagrat, Ġgantija, Saflieni, Hagar Quim, Tarxien, Borg in-Nadur, Baħrija

We will begin the list of sites of majestic beauty with Dwejra Bay as suggested

For the bay, I suppose we can ask around for shore spots with reputations.

"As you may know, I am quite talented in the art of Vim and I am capable of spontaneously casting spells that would enable myself to see magical aura. It should not be a difficult task to spot them, especially at night; most are then visible from a distance, like a candle from leagues away when the conditions are right."

"I will get a bird's perspective after the sun has set, as I will be less prone to attract unwanted attention on me then. The islands of Gozo, Malta and Comino are not that large and I think it will be possible then to invesitgate the most promising sites."

(I will do a survey of the islands at night from the air (n.b. I can see in darkness) with a spell to see magical auras, going wherever there is one and then spontaneously casting to check the magnitude of the aura.)

Good idea! On that same note, how far away can a regio be seen? We have three peeps with second sight.

(I think second sight can only see the boundary between regios. To see magical auras, I think magic sensitivity is needed)

"Thank you Antonius. That will make things much simpler."

It depends on the size and intensity of the aura, as well as conditions.

If you would make rolls for your InVI spontaneous spells, let us see how many you can investigate before being fatigued...

The InVi test I was suggesting was a / 5, so no roll. I don't know what mechanism Antonius is looking at.

Spell to see magical aura : InVi 10 (Base 1, +1 conc, +4 sight) I get one fatigue level, but it is maintained automatically by the spell Maintaining the demanding spell.

The spell to check the magnitude of the aura would be level 15 (Base 2 instead of base 1). I would need 3 on a die roll (23 vim, 2 intellego, 2 stamina). I will wait 2 minutes between each attempt and if the attempt is successful i will cast Maintaining the demanding spell as swell.

The only limiting factor I see is the distance I can cover with my flying spell over the course of a night. I think it shouldgive a good overview of the magical auras present in Malta overthe course of a week, 2 weeks maybe.

Too see, yes. But isn't it axiomatic that if you're at a regio boundary, there's an aura on at least one side of it? If you can see the regio, you can infer an aura. The trick is what KIND of aura are you standing in....

You are right. I guess it depends on what is the boundary between the regios. It can be very small or huge, so there is probably no definitive answer to your question except on a case by case basis.

Back to the story at hand.... Paphos has no interest in tromping through the badlands for a week. He'd rather play at court.

"An aerial survey should suffice for the time being. Anything more in depth can be done at a later date. These islands only total about five leagues square, as I recall (OOC - about 200 square miles), so you could easily spend a week on the main island and a day or so on Comino, and the rest on Gozo? If you find a promising spot, Penko can survey it and determine if it's a suitable build site. "

"David, do you want to join me in refreshing my acquaintance with what passes for Society on the Isle? Most of the nobility can across with Roger de Hautville two decades ago and care little for the arts. They are, however, hungry for coin. I imagine we could gain permission to settle almost anywhere on the island for a consideration, but we certainly would not want to seem too affluent. The treasury of the caravan, depleted as it is, would seem a treasure to these men and would quickly be plundered. Of less power, but more culture are the ancient Arabic nobles, or at least those that surrendered fast enough to keep their heads and lands relatively intact."

"Oh, and we should have someone meet with the Bishop, his opinion of us will be crucial. Alas, churches, despite their beauty, have little interest for me."

David looks at Paphos. "Yes, we really do need to get to know the locals 'leaders'. I doubt any of them are interested in books. But let's go talk to folks. I presume the new nobles speak Italian? And the old ones speak Arabic?"

"Exactamundo! And I expect your Italian is better than mine."

[tab][/tab]Time permitting, Maffeo reads the Charter carefully before making his oath. He then expresses his opinion '[color=blue]This is indeed a splendid Charter. I would be honored to make my oath under it. However, I would like to point out three issues if I may?'The Mercere sits down and uses another piece of paper to make elegant notes of the passages and points he addresses, for the perusal of all members.
[tab][/tab]'[color=blue]First of all this passage here...'All issues shall be passed by a majority vote of the members there present; excepting that the unanimous opinion of the Council of Members is required for issues involving changes to the charter; expulsion of a member; and acceptance of a new probationary member.'[color=blue]This word opinion is easily misunderstood and might cause problems. Is it a unanimous vote or just a matter of expressing one's opinion then a majority of votes? I would also note that this might promote severe haggling of votes, especially if someone wishes to bring in his or her apprentice. I feel this bit should be clarified.'
[tab][/tab]Maffeo's hand pauses over a passage near the start of the Rights of Members. '[color=blue]It is stated here that protected guests would also have free access to the library. I am concerned about this clause. It is customary to allow access to outsiders only after paying some kind of fee, in monies or vis or even a gift to the covenant. Moreover under no circumstance are any books allowed outside the covenant. I fear if this clause stands as is, members of the Council will start hoarding books in personal libraries instead; no-one wants their hard work used so freely. Then again this might just be me, being partial to books and such.' Maffeo muses....
[tab][/tab] He then goes on the the matter of votes and their gravity depending on membership. He seems a bit self-conscious at this point '[color=blue]It is my understanding that there is another member of House Mercere in this covenant. Might I ask what his voting status is?'

David looks at Maffeo. "I had understood that I would sign as a member. And have full voting rights. I would expect to follow the usual practice in such matters, and abstain except under the greatest gravity."

"I think I can handle two of those questions, as I am the only one here who has any formal legal experience." The voice, full of confidence, comes from a shadowed corner. A silver fox emerges silently from the shadow and jumps into a vacant chair. Tomas and Antonius, of couse, remember Vulpus, Tartessos' familiar, but they certainly don't remember him having any legal experience. (OOC - for anyone who has seen the animated movie Fantastic Mr. Fox, Vulpus is based strongly on George Clooney's title character, including the desire for chicken. All I added was an equal passion for ivory tower academia).

"The first issue, of the word opinion, is easily handled. It has a specific legal definition that should allay your fears. Simply put, the original, in Latin, means a decision by an adjudicating body. It may be by formal vote, or by acclamation. Given the majority requirement, any dissent presented during the deliberation would nullify the proceeding."

"The second issue, that of Protected Guest, is a little more complex. It defined Protected Guest status as a membership status, including access to labs and more importantly a sanctum. It can be granted by any member in good standing of the council. To address your fear, this is not the only guest status that can be granted, so if you do not wish to give a guest access to the library or a sanctum, simply do not confer this Protected status upon them. Declare the simply a guest, a visitor, or some other status. I would think that you would be more troubled by the fact that any member of the council can give away rooms in the covenant at whim, rooms that do not currently exist. A simple fix to this issue would be to allow Council review of Protected Guest status.

Your last question would be answered by the Council Discepator, if one had been suckered, er, I mean, chosen to serve. Per this charter, the senior most council member gets saddled with this duty, and I interpret Hermetic Seniority to mean years post guantlet. Figure out who that is and you have your chump to bother for the next seven years.

Vulpus ends his speech by carefully grooming his paws.

[tab][/tab] Maffeo is relieved that the other Mercere has full membership. Progressive the Order might be, they don't allow non-gifted Redcaps voting rights at Tribunals; hence the Mercere magi abstain in deference to their brethren. Maffeo nods in respect "[color=blue]Well and good. I was going to suggest equal voting rights, even to the point of curtailing mine. It is good that this covenant appreciates our House.' He then listens to the explanation given by the fox. He seems more intrigued by the fox itself than the convoluted explanation. As long as someone is aware of the Charter and can explain the minute details, all is fine with him. Maffeo approves and starts thinking about a future library....