Fleur de Bonsiagus (development)

No, xavi is right here: Such a water, whatever its duration, would provide no nourishment. It'd be great to take baths, wash your clothes, extinguish fires or do your dishes, though.

Since there are ther cats in the saga, I'd like to try and keep Felicia's stats and racial virtues and flaws consistant... did you use a template or the process from mystery cults?

I have been thinking about the caves, and with the portal it is easy to make repeated expeditions or even set up a second lab at some point. So this is not an issue I suppose.
And they are correct about the water. You will suddenly dehydrate when the spell ends. However, I can see using it as a stop-gap measure, as long as you can quaff a vast amount of water before the spell ends.
As for Cidito, I forget exactly what I did. This is Roberto's third saga. He started out in Novus Mane. Years later, he was part of Mons Electi in Bibracte. That is when he made Cidito his familiar. Here for Andorra, I ported the character over in a straight rebuild using the HRs here.

Here are the full stats of Don Diaz el Cidito. I do believe I based him off of the Magical Cat template from Realms of Power-Magic, and just expanded/customized it from there. I sorta based him on John Wayne's cat from the Rooster Cogburn movies. General Sterling Price. Then I put some John Wayne into the cat, gave him a missing eye and a friendly tough guy demeanor.

If you want, you can send me a description, what you want her to be able to do and such, and I'll stat her... Sometime...

Just to retcon...
Felecia is a magical cat but not your familiar yet, right?
You would have been given a visitors token right away, and the cat would need a separate token.
Not a big deal though.

correct.
My issue isn't my ability to stat her, its trying to keep it conformed to the saga... I'll start with the cat template from ROP:M, should be done shortly...

:smiley:
I do like conformity, but I am not disciplined enough to enforce it upon myself nor authoritarian enough to enforce it upon others. That is why I appoint Sharks :wink:
Use the rules for creating Magic Characters from scratch, and follow the Cat as a guideline. Start with a Might of 10 and Summer xp. Size adjusts the final Might score, but does not add Quality points. Size alterations bought as Virtues/Flaws/Qualities/Inferiorities have no impact on Might. Purchase all the Virtues, Flaws, & Abilities as required for a mundane cat. You do not have to list your Natural Qualities, as any effects they are to have are paid for in terms of how you spend ability xp and virtues etc. But you can list them if you want, and use them as inspiration for the powers & virtues & Qualities you select. Things like Good Jumper are great ideas for a Minor Essential Virtue.

Looking at Cidito, I didn't do any of that :mrgreen:
I just built up off of the standart Cat template on page 70 of RoP-Magic. I even changed somethings as far as customizing his personality (he is Timid -1 whereas most cats are Timid +2; though he still acts like a Cat +3 (essential trait), and instinctively runs for cover when $#!+ hits the fan.
I did use cat myths and legends to inspire his powers, such as "Always Land Safely", "Cats Eyes", "Scent Marking", and etcetera. His travel powers are inspired by the The Cat who could Walk through Walls. Which explains why it requires that he be unobserved.
Inferiorities, such as putting little drawbacks in various powers, can add up really quick and gives you a wide bank of quality points for lots of neat stuff. Just keep it under the radar. "Fire Breathing Dragon Cat" might turn a few heads, especially if it is balanced for free with a few internal Restrictions that do not matter much.
And in ArM5, there is no minimum requirement in scores for forging a familiar bond. You can go for it straight away. However, you still have a story flaw, which means I am justified in using the cat to hook you into stories even if it is your familiar. Which is legit for anyone's familiar, but for you I must remember to do it. Or you can just play the cat that way. :smiley:
One more bit of advice. Take Arcane Lore as a head start and dump a few xp in Magic Theory. Ifthe cat has been hanging around you, it makes sense it could have picked some stuff up. I do allow familiars to learn from/wit their maga without penalty, but the head start of a score of at least 1 will be beneficial.

If it is allowed in your saga, I'm thinking this cat may have been a familiar before- one of the benefits of being a familiar is that you no lnger have to worry about acclimation, and since magic animals don't age...

yiiick...
I am not so keen on the idea. Once the familiar bond is severed, the creature freaks out. And if the magus died, the familiar would expire or wander way forever soon thereafter.

And even with that idea (which I am not allowing), you would still have to pay for everything (taking Arcane Lore and such), so you would save nothing doing that way. Which you cannot anyway, so just put it out of your mind :smiley:

I figured I would have to pay for arcane lore. I have a different reading on magical animals as familiars, but this is your saga, so I'm glad I asked...

Here is what I have for Felicia:
Characteristics:
Int 0
Pre -2
Str -7
Dex 3
Per 1
Com -4
Sta 0
Quick 4

Flaws
magical freind(minor-1)
nocturnal(minor-1)
craving for travel(minor-1)
greedy(major-3)

Virtues
perfect balance(minor+1)
Puissant Awareness(minor+1)
sharp ears(minor+1)
unaffected by the gift(minor+1)
voice of the city(minor+1)
second sight(minor+1)

Magical Qualities
gift of speech
Personal power :hands of the magical animal
Vis mastery
Ritual power:grant minor virtue(second sight)
improved confidence

Abilities
cat speak 5
athletics 3
awareness 4
brawl 3
stealth 4
hunt 4
Occitan 5
Latin 5
Second Sight 5
Basque 4
Classic Greek 4
Portugeuse 5
Leonese 4
artes liberales 2
Guile 4

I started with the cat decription from the Beats pdf

Always good to ask, because it got me thinking of the idea of an Ancestral Familiar, sort of like an ancestor spirit. This animal has consorted with your family or magical lineage for, well, who knows how long? Or maybe the cat just thinks that and is delusional. Or maybe it is reincarnated. But still delusional.
Take Delusional as a Flaw or Minor Inferiority. It means either the cat is delusional, or has to deal with the fact that others think it is delusional. In the context of the game setting, there is no absolute way or need to define the truth.
It is just Fluff.

Another idea I had, which depends on troupe approval, is to allow your cat to have a higher xp rank. Like a Winter character. You are fresh from gauntlet, a young maga, and I have said repeatedly I cheerfully allow older magi but am generous to younger magi.

Would it be allowed to start with magic theory then?
Part of my idea is that if a magical animal doesn't die/disappear when their magus dies then a magic animal which like to travel, but doesn't want to suffer acclimation, might seek out magi to become a familiar, instead f it being a death sentence to do so,

It is only fluff. Your theory cannot be confirmed nor denied. You need to conform to all rules, meaning you need Arcane Lore for Magic Theory.
But Arcane Lore also allows you to spend regular xp on Arcane Abilities.
Fly under the radar, but a MT of 5 is acceptable to me. And as a Winter Character, you have a great deal many xp (1200). You can also take the Minor Inferiority of Reduced Abilities one or more times (only -25xp each, so taken 8 times still leaves you wih +1000). Use those to gain Quality points for Arcane Lore, Educated, and etcetera (+-25 for +50 is a +25xp profit). Then a good Order of Hermes Lore score.
Fly under the radar. Don't take powers that let you give out virtues and do a triple quadruple stack trick on Magic Theory or anything.
And take Delusional. Either you are crazy, or people think you are crazy. Either way, nothing can be proven and nothing is mechanically different. Only that I am allowing to to boost from Summer to Winter, and only because you are fresh from gauntlet.

Not sure what you mean,but okay. Necessary Condition could mean a certain target, a certain manner, a certain environment, etc. Restricted Power is a bit more Vague though. But it is a Minor Flaw, whereas the former is a Major Flaw.

I posted a reply in the wrong place, which is why I have deleted it.

I kind of like this idea. Cats do have nine lives, after all, so maybe it did waste away after its former master died, but got better.

This might work better if the familiar was run by another player (and let me be the first to call "not-it") as a "mentor"-type character. Perhaps with the occasional jibe along the lines of "Well, if you're sure that's the proper application of Creo in that circumstance...but that's not what Baldock would have done disdainful sniff."

I like the idea of the cat getting better :mrgreen: Doctor Cat! I would have used monty python's video, though.

The cat can get some weird ideas from his past lives and act as a crookety old man sometimes. He ,might even claim to have been Virgil's cat or something like that.

CHeers,
Xavi

I wasn't exactly keen on a Winter-level familiar, but this suggestion changed my mind. :slight_smile:

Nice!
Don't forget that, if he grants it temporarily, he only loses the might so long as the power is granted :smiley:

I'm fine with it.

May I suggest a compromise?
This cat may have been a friend of magi since ages (being a winter character, I'd say since roman times or more), befriending them and accompaniying them in their adventures and research. He bonded early with the OoH, and, eating up some vis in the process (I can see him sneaking up to eat bits of some covenants vis stores), managed to pick up a LOT of MT in the process. Many magi wanted him as a familiar, but he always declined.

And then, he met Fleur, and their relationship was truer than anything he had ever shared, so, this time, he accepted, knowing than, even if this would entail him dying along with Fleur (and he had lived enough already), it would also mean living more truly and fiercely through their bond.

So he'd have lots of lore, both arcane and mundane, stealth, athletics, and MT.