Garamantian necromancy?

We are playing a campaign set in Africa and my character who is a necromancer of sorts have started examining graves left behind by the garamantians and have found a couple of old ghosts who were necromancers in life. I was wondering if anyone out there have made up some interesting options or suggestion for integrating garamantian necromancy into hermetic theory since Between sand and sea doesn't really suggest anything concrete. Note; i am looking for something useful rather than having to be strictly "by the book" what the garamantians could do. We were pondering using caananite necromancy as a substitute but our storyteller felt it didn't quite fit the flavor.
And yes, i have read the Sub rosa article about it but it didn't exactly present any necromancy options, but rather the water suggestion and the iron mind suggestion.

1 Like

The religion seems to treat death in much the same way as Egyptians, at least in terms of what can be derived from their architecture, and they descended from a Berber people. As such I would probably use the black vs red burial site as a fundamental guideline. If you want to delve into mysteries not normally found in AM you could always explore the idea of a divided soul (ba, ka, ib, sheut, and ren)

1 Like

Well, that might be another track to take. I am not entirely sure on what that kind of egyptian necromancy would look like, at least not ruleswise.

I think what i am asking for is if there is some suitable virtue/virtues out there that might provide something "unique" that isn't already mentioned in spirit magic chapter of The Mysteries. Perhaps an interesting thing would be if one could branch out corporeal necromancy rather than spiritual necromancy?

You don't find what is stated in BSS p.71 to be concrete? I find it pretty straightforward.

• You can bind a corpse to an object through a simple ritual (something requiring a few minutes or hours I suppose; Parma is an example of a simple ritual). The object is often a crown or headdress (but I find a scepter to be thematically suitable);
  • a caster can target all of the bound corpses as a group at voice range, even if they are larger than a group, even if they are further away than R:Voice;
  • the corpses must be mundane;
  • none of this works in Divine auras.

The boon here is to affect the targets without the need for an AC or group size modifiers, which will save you about... 3 magnitudes? (You go 2 down from AC to Voice, and I don't think it is likely for you to have more than 100 corpses (Group +1 size) bound to the object).

To make it stronger, drop the range from voice to touch and/or let it work in Divine auras.

Personally, to put a small limit on things, I'd say that the object must be opened with vis, and that you can bind as many corpses to an object as 10 times the number of pawns used, adjusting for the corpse size (1 pawn allows for up to 10 humans, 100 cats, 2 horses... you get it).

3 Likes

Okay- "none of this works in divine auras" does that apply if the corpses are in divine auras but the bound object is not? If the object is in a divine aura but the corpses are not?

The book doesn't make it clear. I'd say total blackout (you can't target a corpse that is inside a Divine aura and you can't target a corpse if you (and the object) are inside a Divine aura), it seems to me that this was the intent... but I might be mistaken.