General Table Talk

!! Wow!!

Going home for the night. I have a loty of copied materials to read. I will post a correction to our main covenant entry tomorrow, reflecting our Vast Aura and other factors. I am also working on the Lab Text Library, Antonio, and the official House Rules posting. I also found some authentic Spanish mythology sources!

pEACE, g'NIGHT

Try to find the Rimas y Leyendas (rimes and legends) by Gustavo Adolfo Becquer. They are Romantic legends, but go well along faerie plots. Pity you cannot read Spanish, since one of the best things there is the language.

The RPG Aquelarre might be a source of inspiration as well, since it is set in northern spain. Dunno if it has an English translation, though

Try to find the Rimas y Leyendas (rimes and legends) by Gustavo Adolfo Becquer. They are Romantic legends, but go well along faerie plots. Pity you cannot read Spanish, since one of the best things there is the language.

The RPG Aquelarre might be a source of inspiration as well, since it is set in northern spain. Dunno if it has an English translation, though

For an online translation of each of the Rhymes and Legends by Becquer, go to:

polyamory.org/~howard/Poetry ... index.html

and scroll down till you see the individual links for each one in English. Each Rhyme is presented in Spanish with one or more English translations following.

Enjoy! :slight_smile:

IIRC, it has, I almost bought it, and my spanish is... Well, utterly forgotten.

Unless, of course, it was translated in french, but I doubt it.

Is it a pleasant read? I can't remember

I didn't know there was a new 5th ed practice of doing that! I have used several methods in various editions. No one wants to fuss with companions right now, and that is cool. I am just stating for the record you have three people assigned to your magus at some point. How you want to handle it is entirely up to you. I plan on making a batch of bad ass Spanish ninjas! (okay, maybe not ninjas, but you get my drift)

Should we give our magi exposure xp for lab seasons?

Yes! Absolutely!

Most often these are applied to Magic Theory, but they can also be applied to any Art or Ability involved in the project (such as Mastery, or the Craft Ability you used if a Verdi)

Great! Now that I'm at last finished with DT, I'm gonna have fun with these :smiley:

I have already a wise woman (marie) and a custos sergeant (augusto) as barely-develloped NPCs.

Oh, and a companion... Holy Character, here I come! :smiley:

I've got ideas for my two grogs:

A tall ugly guy and a small Jewish Bader (bonesetter) with premonitions. The contrast nicely.

As for a companion, I've been thinking of a redcap.

Cool. Carmen is my main character, and I will make up Alexandro (her brother) as my companion. Antonio is an NPC. He is a plot device that any of you can use as well. I am still considering modifying grog/companion creation rules. I still figure average source quality 10. The average person has two free seasons a year, the poor only one, and the rich three. So I am thinking base xp should be 20 per year, 15 if you are poor and 30 if rich.

I think thats a very generous and workable solution. IIRC my last tabletop SG allowed 15 per year for grogs and companions without differentiation and it seemed to work out well enough (although 20 for companions would be a great boon).

OK, I missed all the activity in this thread for a couple of weeks....

When I was making up the lab, I did some research on what plants grow where in Andorra, and while there is wine production, it's only in the lowest county, Saint Julia de Loria. Our covenant is in the county with the highest altitude in the country.

Oh, BTW, in reference to an earlier remark: unless the Basques have migrated in the meantime, their areas will be the the west of Andorra, not to the east.

Yup. West of Andorra. Small typo there. At first glance there are a pair or so) more mistakes IIRC, but not major ones there.

I had no idea about the wine thing. In fact now that you mention it, I recall reading or watching on TV something about that a while ago. Interesting. Ice selling can also be part of the economy of the covenant easily. And banditry, if anyone is interested in grog level adventures.

Cheers,

Xavi

As Xavi said, this is a typo - should be to the west.

Some Basque resources (will post over in History or Map section soon):

The Basques (Peoples of Europe) by Roger Collins
amazon.com/Basques-Peoples-E ... 778&sr=8-1

just managed to track this down and arrived from Amazon today. Maps etc look really good, but not much on folklore (which may or may not be a later development etc.)

For folklore try these links from firth5/Eric Vesbit who wrote the "Tartalo" article in the most recent issue of Sub Rosa (site still down). The Wiki entry ahs some good ideas:

I'd be interested in what this site is like from you native speakers...

Also, I thought this would make a good invested device for a Companion (perhaps Jean's "charming" Redcap even - I'll comment on her soon), a Basque walking stick:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makila

I fondly recall the Alpine Redcaps of SoI - in some ways I think Pyreneean hermetic Culture would have parallels with that of the Greater Alps.

Cheers,

Jarkman

The Makila sounds like a perfect talisman for some of us, mountain dudes. I knew the item from seeing it on TV reports et al, but was not aware of its implications. Now, Basques are quite rooted in tradition for this kind of stuff, so the thing did not surprise me when I read it :slight_smile:

The page is quite a source for legends of euskaldun. I read 3 of them and enjoyed them. One on giants, big and nasty, so big that they could walk in the sea without wetting their clothes, and that threw stones from mountain to mountain (and swmashed Roland at Roncesvalles), an other on a BIG genius locus (mairie) and a description of the gnomes (in fact, so small a whole community of them can be fitted in the head of a pin) that can do incredible craftmanship work and have amazing strength. They are red in color.

The rest would go along the same lines of fae/magical legends, but more aligned to magic, I would say.

Cheers,

Xavi

Found the other page that looks good:

buber.net/Basque/Folklore/

I'd agree that a lot of the folklore seems Magic in theme rather than Faerie.

I've collected some material on Mari, which may or may not feature.

Cheers,

Lachie

Falls: a little fun about your character: Albator is the french name of captain harlock :wink:

Else, since he first took his longevity potion in 1219, Dimir Taar probably has lots of children here and there :laughing: This is fun :laughing:

1. Who is new at Andorra and who is not?
    Who needs to be introduced to whom?
  2. Have we already received our patient (nobody seems to react to the nurse in the story thread)

ad 1:
Character sheet thread summary:
Marie has been around for almost 20 years.
Carmen is a local, and her dad (Antonio) is too.
Lorenzo has written books for Andorra.
Decimus seems to have been around for some seasons (Mercury Cult stuff)
Inigo (Xalabador) is a knight, so he's a local.
Viola came in 1219 or so, she might or might not be new - probably has been around for a few months.

Development thread summary:
Dimir Taar only speaks Spanish and Latin, so he seems to be from there too (Area Lore Iberia doesn't really pinpoint it since this is a huge area)
Octavian joined Andorra in 1211.

I couldn't find any information on Marcellus, Siccus and Aurea (Aurea isn't Viola is she? :unamused: ), which makes it difficult to interact with them.