Gloom Tabletop Guests

I don't have the Unwelcome Guests expansion yet, so I don't know how it is on them. I have Sir Duckworthy, along with Felicia Day and Wil Wheaton. It cam up last night and I hadn't noticed before, the pathos points on Sir Duckworthy still show on his dead side if not covered by something else, but Wil and Felicia's don't because it's not printed on their backs. Should I assume the points were supposed to be printed on the backs and contribute to the score?

The points are supposed to apply. The simplest answer is to NOT flip the guests when they die; you can tell they are dead because the top card is a Death card.

Cthulhu Gloom addresses this by printing the "Death" image on the center of the Death card, so it covers whatever is below. We may take this approach in the future.

Fair enough. It was easy enough to work around, just separated dead characters from the living. Played with Unwelcome Guests tonight. It was pretty fun with that many guests floating around (I ended up killing most of them and won), but we had a question about Whiskers. Is he just supposed to only go to people who play a card to specifically decide they want him? We ask because he doesn't say he follows anything.

Whiskers has a Reoccurring Beast, so I believe he follows beasts. It looks like it was omitted from the card.

The other guests mostly follow story symbols other than the one shown to the right side, so we didn't want to assume that

There are eight guests and three of them (Sir Neville Duckworthy, The Poor Relations, and Unhappy Holmes) follow different icons then they have. The icons they do follow make sense from their names. Sir Neville Duckworthy, who is from Munchkin, has a duck but follows Lucre (loot). The Poor Relations have a Shoggoth icon and follow Lucre, but they are poor. Unhappy Holmes has the Mystery icon and follows Untimely Deaths, which makes sense as he is a detective. Whiskers is a cat and has the Beast symbol, so it would make sense that he would chase other animals (Beast Icons). I know trying to apply logic to card games is a bit of a reach, but there is an underlying theme to the game. YMMV

Much like Wil Wheaton doesn't have a symbol but follows skulls. Stray cats are hard to get rid of, which made sense to me that it would only go to people that played a card to take it. There's a few routes to go with it, that's why we wanted an official ruling.

Any chance of getting that ruling?

Apologies for the delay.

Whiskers intentionally does not follow anything. He only moves as a result of card effects, such as Brought In A Boarder. So he's harder to get initially, and more loyal than most guests.

Cool, thanks. That's how we played it, but as a rules lawyer I had to check.

Poor Relations say they can't have untimely deaths played on them, but doesn't say I can't move one on to them. Can I?

I would not see why not. You are not playing the Untimely Death directly upon them, just like cards that let you play an Untimely Death on what would be your second play.

Following the strict wording of the rules, I would say that "Playing" a card specifically means playing it from your hand, so yes, you could kill the Relations using a card like To Be Or No To Be. You can also get rid of the Relations by sacrificing them using, say, Suspicious Departure.

Unhappy Holmes has the Mystery icon and follows Untimely Deaths, which makes sense as he is a detective. Whiskers is a cat and has the Beast symbol, so it would make sense that he would chase other animals (Beast Icons).