[Gloom] Untimely Death in Unfortunate Expeditions

Hi folks-

I'm seeking a bit of clarification regarding the bonus points yielded from expeditions at time of death. Some of the Untimely Deaths from this expansion read as such: "Worth an additional -15 if is the active Expedition." I'm not quite sure what "active" entails.

I think 'active' could be interpreted 2 ways:

1] When you play an Untimely Death, then the bonus points are awarded at that time and hold true through the end of the game. I initially signified the bonus by 'tapping' my cards to the side to indicate the bonus.
or
2] When you are counting up all the points at the end of the game (when one player has killed off their family) then the current expedition awards the expedition bonus at that time.

The problem I have with 1 is that it feels cumbersome to keep tabs on the bonuses, and the problem I have with 2 is that it doesn't follow suit with the way you plan out how and when to play an Untimely Death on a character.

Any pointers here?

Good luck getting any response in this forum. I have a question on here that was posted three months ago and I'm still waiting.

You should try posting this question at boardgamegeek.com, as well. Not too many posts in their Gloom forum either, but I usually get a response over there.

I'm going to play Unfortunate Expeditions this weekend, so I'll let you know how we work out this problem.

Cheers :smiley:

My interpretation is this: the text on the Untimely Death cards are continuous, and you count the points when the game ends, so these -15 applies if the expedition is the active one at the end.

Unfortunately there are a lot of Gloom rules that can be quite ambiguous, requiring some strict interpretation. They should do some revision on the rules text, and hopefully release a new manual with the expansion rules explained better (instead of a short text at the back of the retail box).

"Active" means that that expedition's icon is visible, and not covered by one on top of it.

Loweringthebar, please note that Atlas Games' office staff currently is made up of me and John, and one assistant to help both of us. None of us are working full-time hours, either. I try to check the forums every couple of months, but rules questions necessarily take a back seat to actually working on new products. And the designers check in once in a while, too.

Also, in the case of games that were published a while back -- even a decade or two ago in some cases -- our fans are actually better "experts" than we are just because we haven't studied the rules in detail in a long time. We really appreciate the help of everyone who posts a reply on the forums ... especially because in most cases those replies are spot on as far as advice goes.

Thanks for your understanding!

I also need an answer to this question. Maybe this will get it bumped up and someone will give us an answer.

I've already forwarded it to Keith Baker, the designer, since it involves a more complicated card interaction.

Wow. I do not know how this went for so long unanswered. My apologies, everyone.

I'm seeking a bit of clarification regarding the bonus points yielded from expeditions at time of death. Some of the Untimely Deaths from this expansion read as such: "Worth an additional -15 if is the active Expedition." I'm not quite sure what "active" entails.

This means "If is the active expedition at the time the game ends and scores are being calculated." You aren't expected to remember what the expedition was when the character died.