Grappling with Grapple....

Hi,

I have just reread the grapples rules, and then rereread them and rereread them.

The success of a grapple is based only on Attack Advantage. So the grappler's strength really makes no difference?? And size??? A dextrous child (size -1) with +3 Dex and -3 Str and Brawl 0 (1xp), is really a better grappler than a large and burly laborer (size +1) with -1 Dex +3 Str and Brawl 2???????

Anyway,

Ken

the child grapple easily but the bear remain grappling easily...

Hi,

Even maintaining a grapple is based solely on Dex.

Anyway,

Ken

I have never ever seen an RPG with good grappling rules.

Hi,

D&D 3.x is ok.

Anyway,

Ken

I haven't touched D&D since they dropped the "A". I just remember the ridiculous rules for Pummeling/Grappling/Overbearing from 1st & 2nd ed AD&D.

Actually, I'm going to agree that 3.x D&D came as close to a useful grapple rule as possible.

But this discussion just highlights why there is a Storyguide/gamemaster/etc., in RPGs. You need a thinking human to say: "ok, per the rules Andrius the nine year old child grabs the bear around the leg, Well, its the bear's turn...hmmm. . . the bear rips him in two. No, he doesn't need to roll for it," Rules are supposed to cover the majority of cases, but a human needs to make judgment calls to preserve the verisimilitude and fun of the game- even when the call is 100% against the rules as written.

Go Bears!

If the rules are not good, change them.
IMO, grappling is dex, staying grappled is opposite strenght+athletics ^^

Hi,

Str + Brawl, since Grappling is part of Brawl.

considers

A character can usually only grapple someone his size or smaller, except with SG permission. (Most people will have trouble grappling a horse, for example, or a giant snake, but perhaps with a really good Ride roll, he can attempt it....)

Grappling is a Brawl attack.

Grapple Strength equals Attack Advantage plus the Attacker's Strength plus five times the difference in size. (Thus, a horse that is grappled by a Kraken has troubles!)

On subsequent rounds, the grappler can use a Brawl Attack either to increase the strength of his grapple or inflict damage on the grappled; the current grapple strength is added to the roll. A grappled character can use any appropriate Martial Ability (Bow doesn't cut it! Nor does Single Weapon for an unarmed character) to escape or inflict damage; the current grapple strength is subtracted from this roll. If the grappled character uses Brawl to escape a grapple, he can reverse the grapple if he is the same size as the grappler.

Anyway,

Ken

Anyway,

Ken

D&D 3x has ALOT of good sides going for it so you might want to take a look. The adaptiveness above all is possibly the best part... I´ve had some serious fun just trying out the rule variation someone put together for making Bleach style shinigami(edit, and i might add pretty much all other character types as well), including ALL so far shown shikai/bankai abilities, achieving a both "realistic" and working system for that, oh thats just magnificent game designing...

Dont bother with 4e though, it got hit by the "lets make it simpler" extremeists about a thousand times beyond where it stopped being a good idea. Totally lost all character and feeling.

Aside from that, i pretty much adhere to Caelarch´s "But this discussion just highlights why there is a Storyguide/gamemaster/etc., in RPGs."