Griffons and Giant Spiders

Hello all

Once again I'm creating new stuff for my saga (which with any luck I shall be able to start soon).

This time I'm after some kind of stats for Griffons and for giant spiders.

Now, I don't really want to re-invent the wheel, so I'm wondering if anyone knows if there are any griffons or giant spiders already in the literature. Ideally I'm after griffons the size of horses and giant spiders big enough for 4 foot high person to ride.

I'm not really after magical powerhouses for either of these. I'm going to use the griffons as an apex predator, the meanest, most dangerous beast out there, somewhat magical probably might 20 maximum. The spiders are going to be present in large numbers and used as mounts by a nomadic culture, so not very magical at all (might 10 maximum), and not much in the way of magic abilities beyond standard spidery stuff (poisonous bite, web spinning, running along the ceiling, etc).

Use the 4th edition bestiary if you have it. That would be the easiest source. No idea if there are any references to those in the current literature without going to the creation from scratch. Maybe ROP:M will have those.

As an alternative, take the stats of a Bear, give it wings and a Might of 20 (or 40 if you do not want it to be an instant chicken snack for your players) and a ReMe effect to be immune to fear and cause fear itself and you have a ready made Griffon. been there, done that with a lot of creatures. it is amazing the amount of flying bears and slithering boars and hounds that have populated my saga.

EDIT: just remembered that Legends of Hermes has stats for griffons in the castle chapter.

Xavi

Griffons and nomads go together well as the legends came out of east-central Asia. It is probably not a coincidence that the Gobi desert is rich in dinosaur bones with beaklike mouthparts.

For whatever use you may have for them, here are the stats for the giant spiders I have used a few times now in my saga...

Giant Spider
A monstrous spider the size of a small dog, with poison dripping from its huge fangs.
Magic Might: 5
Characteristics: Cun +0, Per +1, Str +1, Sta +1, Pre -2, Com -2, Dex +2, Qik +2
Size: -1; Season: Spring, Confidence: 0
Virtues and Flaws: Keen Vision, Venomous, Glutton, Weak Characteristics
Magical Qualities and Inferiorities: Improved Abilities, Improved Soak
Personality Traits: Glutton +3, Cruel +2
Combat:
Bite: Attack: +9, Defense: +7 Damage: +2
Soak: +3; Wound Penalties: -1 (1-4), -3 (5-8), -5 (9-12), Incapacitated (13-16), Dead (17+)
Fatigue Levels: OK / 0 / -1 / -3 / -5 / Unconscious
Abilities: Athletics (climb) 6, Awareness (alertness) 4, Brawl (bite) 3
Powers:
Venomous Bite (natural): If an opponent is injured by the giant spiders bite, he must make a Stm roll (6+) or suffer an additional Light Wound for the spiders poison.
Vis: 1 pawn of Perdo in venom

There are a range of griffin statistics in Legends of Hermes (flying castle chapter).

The second issue of Sub Rosa have good Griffin stats and description on page 28.