Carouse (staying sober) 2/15
Charm (students) 2/15
Dead Language: Latin (military jargon) 3/30
Folk Ken (students) 3/30
Great Weapon (greatsword) 4/50
Infernal Lore (diabolists) 1/5
Leadership (in battle) 4/50
Living Language: Occitan (Provencal) 4/35
Living Language: Spanish (Castilian, military jargon) 5/75 (Native language)
Magic Lore (creatures): 2/15
Organization Lore: Order of Hermes (military) 2/15
Profession: Soldier: 2/15
Ride (battle) 4/50
Single Weapon (long sword) 8/180
Stealth (natural settings) 4/50
Survival (forest) 3/30
Teaching (grogs) 3/30
Thrown Weapon (knife) 3/30

Equipment:
Toledo longsword
Round shield
Chain mail, partial (Prot 6, Load 4)

Name: Liberto
Concept: Tracker, Vocis's shield grog (and son-in-law)
Personality: Loyal (Vocis) +3, Loyal (Amada) +3, Brave +3, Happy +1

Int -1
Per +1
Str +1
Sta +2
Prs 0
Com -1
Dex +1
Qik +2

Combat:
Toledo longsword: Init +4 / Atk +11 / Def +8 / Dam +8
Round shield: Init +2 / Atk +5 / Def +8 / Dam +1
Long spear: Init +5 / Atk +6 / Def +5 / Dam +8
Short bow: Init +1 / Atk +11 / Def +9 / Dam +6
Thrown knife: Init +2 / Atk +6 / Def +6 / Dam +3
Punch: Init +2 / Atk +5 / Def +6 / Dam +1
Dodge +5
Soak +11
Burden -2

Virtues:
Almogavar
Warrior
Improved Characteristics
Hermetic Experience

Flaws:
Optimistic
Carefree
Motion Sickness

Abilities:
Area Lore: Iberia (wildlife) 4/50
Area Lore: Provence (wildlife) 4/50
Athletics (climbing) 3/30
Awareness (searching) 3/30
Bows (short bow) 6/105
Brawl (punch) 3/30
Carouse (games of chance) 2/15
Charm (being witty) 2/15
Dead Language: Latin (military jargon) 3/30
Folk Ken (magi) 2/15
Great Weapon (longspear) 1/5
Hunt (tracking) 4/50
Infernal Lore (diabolists) 1/5
Leadership (in battle) 2/15
Living Language: Occitan (Provencal) 4/35
Living Language: Spanish (Castilian, military jargon) 5/75 (Native language)
Magic Lore (creatures) 1/5
Organization Lore: Order of Hermes (military) 2/15
Single Weapon (long sword) 4/50
Stealth (natural settings) 4/50
Survival (forest) 3/30
Thrown Weapon (knife) 3/30

Equipment:
Short bow
Toledo longsword
Round shield
Chain mail (Prot 9, Load 6)

[DELETED duplicate post]

Where did this guy learn Latin from?
I suggest the minor virtue of hermetic experience from grogs. it grants 50xp for Latin, Magic Lore, and/or Order of Hermes Lore.
Can he afford expensive armaments? Not sure what the 5th ed rule on that is.

Sorry about the double post. The server's going crazy and now it won't let me delete posts.

I assumed Vocis could teach him. Both Fausto and Liberto have been with Vocis for 10 years, having followed him to Clair de Lune from Iberia. I've never understood the idea that characters can't take certain skills at 'character creation' if the characters are 'created' at an advanced age, especially if their character history would have allowed those skills.

I'm not familiar with this one, but I'd rather just buy those normally for older grogs.

AFAIK, there isn't one. The core book doesn't say anything regarding who can afford what. As with Latin, I assumed a decade of service with a magus would explain high-quality equipment.

I feel your pain. I'm the one that wrote up Hermetic Experience for the Grogs book just for this specific circumstance. The guy has worked with magi for a good chunk of his life, the Virtue represents this.
As for the Toledo sword, I am not that worried. Magi are rich. But these swords are sorta uncommon. Where did he get it? How long has he had it?
Where is Vocis from? I forget.

Just checked. These guys are localls. Swords make sense.
Latin doesn't make sense though.

Ok. I don't have Grogs, so this was new to me. I'll give both of them Hermetic Experience. I assume the virtue gives them the ability to spend additional xp on those abilities, in addition to the bonus 50 xp? Vocis's kids will all have Covenant Upbringing to explain Latin and/or Order Lore.

Cool.
Since these guys are Spanish, I also suggest the Free Virtue of Almogavar (which I also invented). This allows you to take Martial Abilities. Unlike the Custos Virtue, it does not indicate covenant status or grant access to other abilities. But it ties you together with other almogavar grogs in your unit.
I just noticed: Social Status is what grants access to armaments. Most warriors have Standard Armaments. You need to be wealthy or a knight or some such to afford Expensive Armaments.
I don't mind handwaving this though. Vocis could have bought it all with a pawn or two of vis. And I am allowing magi to spend BP on items & longevity for companions & grogs. So there you go :slight_smile:

Ludwig, Vulcanus' "shield grog"

Int +1, Per +3, Str -1, Sta 0, Pre -3, Com 0, Dex +1, Qik +2

Lightning Reflexes, Goblin Blood, Puissant Chef, Poor Characteristics, Small Frame, Avaricious (minor)

Awareness 5, Stealth 5, Brawl 3, Single Weapon 1, Survival 4, Hunt 5, Bows 4, Area Lore: Bavaria 4, Area Lore: Saxony 4, German 5, Folk Ken 4, Profession: Chef 5, Legerdemain 3

Not very combatly, Vulcanus selected Ludwig as his "shield grog" due to his usefulness in the field. Vulcanus and Bernhard both appreciate the skill and resourcefulness of the little goblin, who in turn appreciates the hazard pay despite enjoying the safest place on any battlefield: hiding behind the big knight and the angry bear.

I added the following HR for Companions and Grogs. I am retaining 7 old veterans, and I am trying to account for the fact that they all have longevity potions.

[strike]Advancement for other types of Characters
Companions and Grogs may also take advantage of advanced development rules. These characters gain an average of 20xp per year (5xp per season). Keep in mind that this is also part of the abstract. Companions and Grogs do not recieve a vis salary and do not advance in multiple cycles. The events of their life prior to play count as one long cycle.
Grogs can develop up to 2 points of new Virtues, which must be balanced by Flaws. The cost is one season plus 10xp for each Virtue (which must be balanced by a Flaw). These should be non mystical in nature, Virtues such as Custos or Hermetic Experience or Tough. The minimum age for one extra Virtue & Flaw is at least 30, for two of them the minimum age is 40.
Companions can develop up to 3 points of new Virtues, which do not need to be balanced by Flaws. The cost is the same for a Magus using an Adventure: 1 season plus one per point of Virtue minus one per point of Flaw, plus 10xp per Virtue point. A Companion may develop one Supernatural or Heroic Virtue &/or one such Flaw.
Non Magi characters can earn magical Wages for exceptional service or special duties. They don't recieve actual vis, just the things vis can buy. Basically, they can spend XP directly on items (1xp=1bp). So, for example, a Grog can earn a level 30 Longevity Potion at age 35 by spending 50xp. Companions can purchase most anything a magus can. Grogs are limited to Lesser Devices and Longevity Rituals of level 30.[/strike]

Meaning you can use this rule too. But I need feedback. Am I being to generous? I will post an example Grog using this rule soon, with a link to the original, so you can see what I am trying to aim for. And maybe suggest a better way to do it.

Since we're abstracting their background seasons anyway, you might as well say a Virtue costs 15 xp (base 10 + 5 for the lost season).

I assume Heroic V/Fs are restricted to Redcaps?

I'm a big fan of this, particularly in Bernhard's case. It make sense that he would have an item of quality or two by now. Not sure where I'm going to find 50 xp for a LR, though. :frowning:

Legacy is restricted to Redcaps, which allows for Heroic Virtues & Flaws.
Blood of Heroes is for Mythic Companions, which do not need to be Redcaps, and this allows Heroic Virtues & Flaws.
Mythic Blood is for Magi only, and allows Heroic Virtues & Flaws.
Magic Human characters can take Heroic Virtues & Flaws.
And there is an elastic clause...

Latent Magic is not becessary, but it is cheaper to change the one for another. But I will accept a really cool justification and a good story. Case in point: Alexandro took Charmed Life and Heroic Personality. That is a holdover from the old game, earned from a Magic Realm Adventure that three other current players were part of. What is good for me is good for everyone. But the limit is one Virtue &/or one Flaw from one category (Heroic or Supernatural). Redcaps with Legacy can take many multiples during initial character creation.

What follows is an example of what I am talking about. Oscar Torez.

[strike]Oscar Torez:
Characteristics: Int +0, Per +0, Com -2, Pre -1, Str +3, Sta +2, Dex +1, Quik +1
Size: 0
Chonology: Born 1188, joined a band of almogavars in 1204 at age 16, joined Andorran Guard in 1218 at age 30, went on a Drake Hunt, was in the Burning Bronze expedition, followed Carmen as a shield grog from 1225 on, currently age 42 in Winter 1230.
Decrepitude: 0
Warping: 1 (12)
Virtues: +1 Warrior, +1 Unaffected by the Gift, +1 Major Essential Virtue – Fearless
Acquired Virtues & Flaws: +1 Custos, +1 Hermetic Experience, -1 Vow (of Loyalty), -1 Warped by Magic; -1 Reckless (from Warping)
Flaws: -1 Dutybound, -1 Higher Purpose, -1 Pious
Personality Traits: Fearless +3, Pious +3, Dutybound +2, Higher Purpose +1, Reckless +3
Reputations: Fearless 3 (local), Stoic 2 (local)
Combat:
Fistfight: Init +1, Atk +7, Def +7, Dmg +3
Longword/Round Shield Init +3, Atk +15, Def +11/+13, Dmg +10
Soak: +8
Fatigue: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, ko
Wounds: -1 Lt (1-5), -3 Med (6-10), -5 Hvy (11-15), Incap (16-20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: Spanish 5 (Castilian, tough talk), Iberia Lore 3 (New Castile; Toledo);
Animal Handling 1 (horses), Andorra Area Lore 3 (Andorran Guard), Athletics 3 (sports), Awareness 4 (hazards), Brawl 5 (fistfight), Carouse 3 (power drinking), Cirurgy 2 (first aid), Divine Lore 1 (Saint James), Folk Ken 3 (warriors), Faerie Lore 2 (mountains), Guile 3 (straight face), Hunt 3 (traps), Infernal Lore 1 (black magic), Latin 4 (magi), Leadership 3 (intimidation), Magic Lore 3 (drakes), Occitain 4 (Catalan), Order of Hermes Lore 2 (customs), Profession-Soldier 4 (hazardous duties), Riding 1 (travel), Single Weapon 8 (longsword), Stealth 3 (ambush), Survival 3 (forage)
Equipment: Toledo Longsword, round shield, dagger, chainmail hauberk
Encumbrance:
Enchanted Items: Level 30 Longevity Ritual
Background: Oscar is a veteran mercenary that knew several of the other soldiers beforehand, and was already well known for his fearlessness. He has demonstrated this trait again and again, and has impressed the magi several times. His adventures include the Faerie Caves, the Drake Hunt (he stood unflinching face to face with Diablo Rojo), and the Burning Bronze expedition. After returning from that adventure, Oscar joined Alexandro to follow Carmen and Estaban during their wanderings in Iberia.[/strike]

Maybe I set the price to high? How about 1xp = 2bp? So then 25xp for a level 50LR?
Or maby 2=3? 4=5? A better rate that 1=1 for certain.

I'm good with 1=1. It should be hard to earn a LR. With the current HRs, a magus has to spend 13 vis to earn a comparable LR.

Five personality flaws? I know it's hard to find flaws for grogs, but this seems a little abusive. Unless everyone else is cool with it, in which case grogs are much easier to make. :slight_smile: