Grogs Character Creation Discussions

How are we proceeding with the grogs? Have everyone got a concept or an idea?

I'm not very inspired, my concepts were revolving around the idea of a tracker/warrior having a wild related supernatural ability like wilderness sense or Animal keen (I know they're underwhelming but this doesn't really matter) and who could maybe share some of my concern about the protection of the untamed lands.

I know that's not very precise...

Honestly, at this point the grogs don't even need stats for us to begin playing. A general description and personality would be enough for the kind of introductory threads that I have in mind.

And if any of you want to go the same way as Bitter did for his Bjornaer -- waiting for a grog to be assigned to him when he arrives in Fengheld -- then I wold be cool with that. You will simply have to develop the "trusted servant" relationship during play.

Just let me know! :smiley:

A draft for Kiranko !

I chose the flaws thinking that being the child of a magus doesn't really help being humble, and being proud and overconfident doesn't make for a good student who believes he understand things better than the teacher. It also gives a baseline for roleplaying him. For the virtues, custos is more or less mandatory to get latin and because as the child od a magus I can't really see him being a simple covenfolk. Well travelled seems to fit the story and warrior seems like a normal formation for an ungifted child of a magus.

What do you think ?

Kiranko

Characteristics: Int +1, Per +1, Pre 0, Com 0, Str +2, Sta +1, Dex +1, Qik 0
Size: 0
Age: 28 (28), Height: 170 cm, Weight: 75 kg, Gender: Male
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Virtues and Flaws: Well-Traveled (50/50), Warrior (50/50), Custos, Academic Abilities, Proud, Overconfident, Poor Student (Learning: -3)
Combat:
Dodge: Init: +0, Attack --, Defense +1, Damage --
Sword, Long: Init: +1, Attack +11, Defense +7, Damage +8
Fist: Init: +0, Attack +3, Defense +2, Damage +2
Kick: Init: -1, Attack +2, Defense +0, Damage +5
Soak: +6
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20), Dead (21+)

Abilities: Area Lore: constantinople 1, Artes Liberales 1, Bargain 1 (clothes), Carouse 1 (games of chance), Athletics 3 (running), Awareness 4 (alertness), Brawl 1 (Fist), Charm 1 (first impressions), Civil and Canon Law 1, Guile 1 (fast talk), Leadership 1 (intimidation), Order of Hermes Lore 1 (politics), Survival 1 (specific locales), Swim 1 (long distances), Animal Handling 2, Etiquette 2 (merchant), Folk Ken 2 (magi), Hunt 2 (tracking), Ride 2 (speed), Stealth 2 (urban areas), Bows 3 (Bow, Short), Chirurgy 3 (binding wounds), Greek 4 (expansive vocabulary), Latin 5 (hermetic usage), Single Weapon 5 (Sword, Long), Slavic 5 (slang)

Equipment: Full Leather Scale Armor (Soak: 6) (Soak: 6; Protection: 5); Shield, Round (Init: 0; Atk: 0; Dfn: +2; Str: -1; Cost: Inexpensive); Horse; Survival Kit; Wax Tablet; Pack
Encumbrance: 1 (3)

For Ludovicus' shield grog, I'm thinking of a street-smart, sneaky Italian manservant from a big city who can't stand it when people with authority abuse their power. This issue with authority is what drove him to seek employment with the covenant of Ludovicus' second apprenticeship (as Machmalius' attendant). Maybe he fled the consequences of some crime. He took pity on Ludovicus, because of how unfairly his pater treated him, and did what he could to help the apprentice, whether it was to sneak him out of the covenant at night for extra-mural study sessions or to help him avoid the worst of Machmalius' punishments. A bond of shared hardship developed between Ludovicus and Giuseppe(?), and when Ludovicus left, Giuseppe left with him. Sound ok?

Seems fine to me.

I think he looks good Bitter.

Just a few things.
Kiranko is the name of Tamas' pater and therefore this character's father so he should perhaps have a different name.

I assume Slavic is his native language so I guess he was born in Serbia or Bulgaria perhaps? As he travelled to Constantinople together with Kiranko and there they found Tamas and then moved north this grog never really spent much time in Constantinople so perhaps Area Lore: Serbia, Bulgaria or Hungary would suit better?

I also assume you picked academic abilities as his choice for Custos. With rank 5 in Latin he is actually better at it than Tamas.
Just a thing to think about. Tamas and Kiranko's native language is Romani and this grog is half-Romani by blood so maybe he could have picked up a few words at least of that language on their travels. I know it's not a very useful language in the regions where we are going to play, but it could be the language these two use to talk to each together without anyone else understanding. Maybe taking down Greek a few steps instead?
Just some thought.

Emelric, I would be happy to discuss your magus' shield grog with you if you want to. Let me give it a thought with your concept description as guidelines and I come back here later.

Thanks

I made the confusion indeed I was trying to use the one you picked Emil

Indeed I chose Slavic as it's the most common spoken language of the tribunal so It's probably logical to switch area lore for something else, Bulgaria seems fine as it's closest to constantinople.

Indeed I thought Kiranko would want his child to receive the best education so I gave him Latin and artes liberales so he's quite literate.

I misinterpreted the constantinople thing and assumed you spent quite some time into the theban tribunal so I gave him greek but we can easily switch it to Romani Or drop latin to 4 (+25xp) as he's not gonna write books anyway and greek to 3 (+20xp) and pick Romani 4 (-50xp) we only lack 5xp from maybe bargain ?

what do you prefer?

Emil

Virtues and Flaws: Well-Traveled (50/50), Warrior (50/50), Custos, Academic Abilities, Proud, Overconfident, Poor Student (Learning: -3)
Combat:
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20), Dead (21+)

Abilities: Area Lore: Bulgaria (geography) 1, Artes Liberales 1(geometry), Bargain 1 (clothes), Carouse 1 (games of chance), Athletics 3 (running), Awareness 4 (alertness), Brawl 1 (Fist), Charm 1 (first impressions), Civil and Canon Law 1, Guile 1 (fast talk), Leadership 1 (intimidation), Order of Hermes Lore 1 (politics), Survival 1 (specific locales), Swim 1 (long distances), Animal Handling 2 (horse), Etiquette 2 (merchant), Folk Ken 2 (magi), Hunt 2 (tracking), Ride 2 (speed), Stealth 2 (urban areas), Bows 3 (Bow, Short), Chirurgy 3 (binding wounds), Romani 4 (expansive vocabulary), Latin 5 (hermetic usage), Single Weapon 5 (Sword, Long), Slavic 5 (slang)

Equipment: Full Leather Scale Armor (Soak: 6) (Soak: 6; Protection: 5); Shield, Round (Init: 0; Atk: 0; Dfn: +2; Str: -1; Cost: Inexpensive); Horse; Survival Kit; Wax Tablet; Pack

I think Emil looks great now.
Let's keep it as it is now unless Arthur has any comments.
It's amazing he managed to learn Latin to level 5 with Poor Student but he could have a knack for languages even if it isn't portrayed with a virtue.

Sure! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Emil has 2 personality flaws (Proud and Overconfident). Grogs should only have 1 of those (ArM5 p.37 insert).

How about this then.

Emil

Virtues and Flaws: Well-Traveled (50/50), Warrior (50/50), Custos( Academic Abilities), Proud, Fragile constitution, Poor Student (Learning: -3)
Combat:

Abilities: Area Lore: Bulgaria (geography) 1, Artes Liberales 1(geometry), Bargain 1 (clothes), Carouse 1 (games of chance), Athletics 3 (running), Awareness 4 (alertness), Brawl 1 (Fist), Charm 1 (first impressions), Civil and Canon Law 1, Guile 1 (fast talk), Leadership 1 (intimidation), Order of Hermes Lore 1 (politics), Survival 1 (specific locales), Swim 1 (long distances), Animal Handling 2 (horse), Etiquette 2 (merchant), Folk Ken 2 (magi), Hunt 2 (tracking), Ride 2 (speed), Stealth 2 (urban areas), Bows 3 (Bow, Short), Chirurgy 3 (binding wounds), Romani 4 (expansive vocabulary), Latin 5 (hermetic usage), Single Weapon 5 (Sword, Long), Slavic 5 (slang)

Here is a first draft of Giuseppe's Characteristics and Virtues/Flaws.

Characteristics: Int +1, Per +2, Pre 0, Com 0, Str -1, Sta 0, Dex +2, Qik +1

Virtues: Custos, Clear Thinker, Puissant Stealth
Flaws: Afflicted Tongue, Obsessed (with opposing authorities misusing power), Small frame

Will do abilities tomorrow.
Feel free to comment.

It could work with Fragile Constitution. The general flaws in the core book is a bit limited in scope.

@Arthur : Shall we create the grog i'm gonna be given collectively or do you handle it ?

I'll have a few grogs created, although not to the same level of detail as those you collectively handle. So consider that your magus will be assigned a grog upon joining Fengheld.

I don't think I've seen any stats for Guiseppe, Ludovicus' grog. Here's my general ideas about him. I'll leave it up to the troupe to complete him.

Guiseppe is a former child thief of Venice, who was caught in the act by a magus and forced to serve them. He wasn't much more than a competent thief, being a bit to confident and easily distracted. As most of the magi also spoke Italian, and that language is fairly close to Latin (-2 penalty both ways), he never bothered to learn the more formal language of the magi. This has occasionally created some confusion when communicating with the magi, but he mostly shrug those off. He received some training with weapons, in order to act as a shield grog, but his weapon of choice remains the club, as it is more easily carried unobstrusively in a city environment (as a weighted walking stick, for example). Still, he prefer not to carry such a large weapon most of the time, relying an a hidden knife or two, or a sap to knock victims unconscious.

Mostly average physically, nor any brighter than the average man, Guiseppe relies mostly on talk and evasion to serve his master. But he'd rather spend time at the tavern than training. But he's developed a liking for Ludovicus, whom he'd been assigned, and is reasonably loyal. Growing up amongst the canals of Venice, he's learned to handle small boats pretty well.

I made a first draft of his Characteristics and Virtues/Flaws in this thread a while ago, page 1. I'm not sure if it fits with how you have described him.
I was going to change small frame even I think it suits a thief. But it's not so good for a shield grog.

I'd forgotten about that draft. Feel free to mix and match as you see fit. Small Frame doesn't necessarily mean he's unfit as a shield grog -- he'll be a bit more fragile, but that's all. I don't see his magus getting himself in a lot of fighting, but that can cut either way when considering the kind of shield grog he'd have.