help for name in Latin please

I would like to introduce an NPC magus whose name reflects his Warped Magic nature.

The Warped Magic effect is that a very thorny bramble rose is spontaneously generated, taking root nearby (including between floorboards, or in cracks in the brickwork, or in the joints of the library bookshelves) and aggressively growing during the spell casting. As per Warped Magic, final size is dependent on magnitude of spell cast.

I was thinking this magus would be called something like Bramblerose the Accursed, but in Latin.
Could anyone give me an appropriate Latin translation please.

My Latin-fu is very weak, but how about "Spineusrosa Maledictus"?

Magus or maga?

Strictly speaking the gender of this NPC is unimportant. I currently have no overwhelming reason to introduce this NPC mage as either gender.
It would be nice to know the name as either gender.

Interesting.
roughly translated is that "spiny rose bad speaker"?

I had looked up bramble and found "rubus"

aculeatus / (aculeata female) - thorny, can also mean nitpicking, nice name for a quaesitor or tytalus

As far as I can tell, to speak ill of someone in latin means to curse them?

A quibble: Maledictus does not mean "bad speaker", it means "ill-spoken of". You are the recipient of someone else's curses ("bad words").

Accursed is fairly straightforward -- as was pointed out "maledictus(m.)" or "maledicata(f.)" is a fairly accurate translation. Both accursed and maledictus/a essentially mean other people speak ill of the subject, and wish the subject ill.

Bramblerose is much trickier. That's because composite names like Bramblerose, Puffball, Buttercup etc. are something that's very common in English, but relatively alien to Latin and to many Latin-derived languages. A straightforward translation generally results in something that's much wordier and more awkward than the original. My best attempt at Bramblerose would be "Rosaspina", which is a name actually used in some faerie tales (Rosa=rose, spina=thorn). Since both Rosa and Spina are "very" feminine names, it best fits a woman -- at least, anyone hearing it would think of a woman.

Summarizing, I'd go for: Rosaspina Maledicta! (pronounced roh-sah-SPEE-nah mah-leh-DEE-ktah)

Two magnificent suggestions

and

Though I am probably going to not use Aculeatus the Tytalus Quaesitor, who solves mysteries without magic. With a catchy description like that I probably want to run him as a PC.

Many thanks
Dale

I would like to translate red castle to Latin. Is arc rutilus good?

Hmm.

For castle, I think you should go for "oppidum" (fortress). Interestingly, that's what the Tremere covenants in Transylvania are called (from the index of Against the Dark).

You might instead use "castrum", which is where "castle" comes from, but it's more of a place were troops fortify then a fortress -- the emphasis is on the presence of troops rather than on the presence of fortifications. Note that a lot of modern cities have a name that comes from "castrum", because the city sprang around the winter quarters of troops; very few have a name that comes from "oppidum". Basically, the troops were considered more important than the fortress :slight_smile:

For red ... well, Latin has sooo many reds. You'd have to be more specific about the actual tint. In the absence of that, I would suggest "ruber", which also conveys a feeling of ruddyness and strength -- it's the same root as the word for "oak" and "strength". Rutilus is also red, but more orangish/goldish red than "solid" red.

So, for something like "the red fortress", I'd go for "Oppidum Rubrum" (oppidum is neuter, and rubrum is the neuter form of ruber). For something more like "Redhold", "Castrum Rubrum" is an alternative that puts more emphasis on the fact that people live there -- it might be the name of a village or town, for example.

Closest to castle in Latin is 'castellum', the diminutive form of 'castrum'. And for generic red you can use 'ruber'. So castellum rubrum should do.
If you are further interested in Latin, you might look for a guy calling himself Rubricastellanus, to the world Karl-Heinz v. Rothenburg. The man from the red castle, indeed. And the translator of Asterix into Latin. :smiley:

Cheers

Thanks! Castellum sounds a bit better. One Shot, your guess is good, the covenant is called Rotburg. :slight_smile:

Btw are the followings good?

Miraculous Deer - Cornutus Miraculosus
Stone Sea - Mare Lapidus
Cuman Marsh - Palus Cuman

Indeed: note that Karl-Heinz von Rothenburg means Karl-Heinz of (von) the Red (Rothen) Fortified-Town (Burg). So the latinization of Rothenburg is indeed Castrum Rubrum. But for something like "fortress" instead of "fortified-place-where-people-live", "oppidum" is probably a better choice than "castrum".

Ezzelino if you mentioned the Transylvanian tribunal, you have won the nonexistent guessing game, Rotburg is in this area.
A quick search shows oppidum in Hungary meant 'market town' in English officially. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_town
Civitas was a free city with far more rights.

Probably Cervus Prodigiosus.
Deer is Cervus. To translate "Miraculous", you'd have to be a bit more precise about the idea you want to convey; "prodigiosus" conveys both the idea that it produces supernatural effects, and that it's "marvelous" of itself (the root of miraculous is basically "something that you gape at").

Almost! Mare Lapideum. Latin (and many languages derived from it) don't say "stone sea" but more "stony sea".

I have choosen Miraculosus from the dictionary because it is close to Miraculous thus easy to recognize.

I never learned Latin these are just words from the dictionary.

Palus is indeed marsh/swamp. The adjective "Cuman" would probably be "Cumana" (palus is feminine). (It certainly is if you mean "of the city of Cuma" with "Cuman"). So, probably, Palus Cumana.

Cuman was the name of a people. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuman_people

I have been trying to resist, but to no avail. This MUST go here

youtube.com/watch?v=XbI-fDzUJXI