Help with Latin, please?

Hi,

Can I get some help with a swear word here?

I was looking to name one of my Tremere characters "daughter of the wolf" and in period Greek that's "Lupagenitos", isn't it?

In related news, I discovered that "lupa", which is literally "she-wolf" is a slang term in classical Latin for a prostitute, so calling someone a "lupagenitos" is kind of the ancestor of two of our more modern "you son of a ***" insults. Ergo, this is likely what other magi call Tremere who are annoying them.

Can anyone confirm I've constructed the word correctly?

G'day Timothy,

I'm only familiar with Classical Latin and Attic Greek, so my comments here may not be accurate for the medieval argot; but then a civilised magus would prefer to use classical speech anyway right? :wink:

As you said,lupa literally means 'she-wolf' (lupus for a male wolf), but if you want to say 'of x' in latin, you normally need to put it in the genitive case, which would be lupae for the feminine, lupii for the masculine.

As for the daughter part, filia is the most literal latin translation of 'daughter'; gens can mean 'offspring' or 'descendant'; genus has a similar meaning, but is more literally 'stock' or 'race' or 'family'.

In latin, the genitive usually follows the noun it is connected to, but word order is pretty flexible for the most part, so lupae gens and gens lupae have essentially the same meaning.

Greek has similar rules in regards to genitive constructions, except that the genitive of possession usually goes in between the definite article and the noun it accompanies (but greek is also flexible with word order and the use of articles): lukainos is the genitive of 'she-wolf', lukou the genitive of 'wolf'. Thugater is literally 'daughter', while pais and ekgonos can both mean 'child'; genos is 'race/kin/stock'.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

PS Love your work :smiley:

A wolf in in Classical Greek (Attic) is 'lykos', she-wolf is 'lykaina', born-by-a-wolf as a male name 'lykogonos', as a female name 'lykogone'.
You need to ask yourself, why a Tremere gets a Greek name. In Latin 'lupa' - the she-wolf - is also a prostitute, but I would not know of this connotation in Classical Greek.

A very tricky son of Hermes, infamous thief and liar, and grandfather of Ulysses, has the Classical Greek name Autolykos - something like himself-a-wolf, implying some respect.
While on the Palatine in Rome you still find the place of the sanctuary, where the she-wolf shall have raised Romulus and Remus: it is called the 'lupercal', its priests were the 'luperci', and 'luperca' is a respectable republican cognomen for a woman.

Cheers

In case I misunderstood the question, and it was actually about a Latin name denoting born-by-a-wolf:

'lupigena' is a good sobriquet both for male and female medieval scholars born by wolves.

Think of this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eriugena_ ... guation%29 .

Cheers