Herodotus' Histories

Hi, a quick question: are Herodotus's Histories statted anywhere? A&A doesn't have them. One of my players would like a crocodile familiar, and I've been looking up crocodiles. Herodotus' second Histories book goes into more detail, so I'd like to give that book to my player that he can find crocodiles and I can start my adventure in Crododopolis! :slight_smile:

If not, perhaps a Summa on Magic Lore, and a few Tractati on (Area) Lore are appropriate? We play in the Theben Tribunal, so ancient Greek versions of the text could be read by my players.

A tractatus (or series of thractatus) on Magic Lore sounds about right to me. Area Lore (history) is also good option, but I do not have the books nor much idea of what they contain, so can't give a more informed opinion here.

Cheers,
Xavi

Well,

having compiled a list of the official books by Ability... I can emphatically say "no".
atlas-games.com/pdf_storage/ ... yIndex.pdf

As a multi-volume work, it might be best to represent it as a collection of tractati on a few subjects and/or even as an encyclopedia.

I'd suggest several tractati on Area Lore, one or two on Philosophiae (natural philosophy) and a single tractatus on Magic Lore and/or Faerie Lore.

The average Quality for a mundane Ability from a decent author seems to be about 8 (Com +2, base 6). Pliny is Quality , Isidore of Seville Quality 8.

If you can track this down (in a library), the "Landmark Herodotus" is a beautiful book, heavily annotated with great maps etc.
amazon.com/Landmark-Herodotu ... 735&sr=8-3

BTW: Magi of Hermes page 11 has stats for crocodiles in the section on Alexander of Jerbiton.

Cheers,

Lachie

Thanks for the Landmark Herodotus link, looks very promising! Also, your book compilation is great. I had the feeling that a few of the book were of a far-too high quality... :wink:

I think I'll go with 3 Summae on (Area) Lore: Persia 2, Greece 2, Levant/North Africa 2. Plus 1 Tractatus on Philosphiae and and 1 Tractatus on Magic Lore (this one will house the crocodiles). Quality 9, for an original, probably 7-8 for substandard copies corrupted by the ages.

It's a beautiful book.

Glad you found it useful.

Cheers,

lachie

FYI, the mundane book compilation has my players on a hype when designing the mundane library of Lumen Septentrionalis.

Cheers,
Xavi

Great.

I have the draft of a Sub Rosa article on some more texts somewhere...

Lachie

LibriVox has recorded part of The Histories in audiobook, for those of you who prefer to listen to books. It's a free download from their website.

librivox.org/herodotus-histories-vol-1/
librivox.org/herodotus-histories-vol-2/

They are working on volume 3 here:

librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18862

Which I didn't know about...I'll probably volunteer to read some chapters.

I punched up a pile of other real world books given mythic stats, they live here:

Sanctum Hermeticum Renewed

Not the Herodotus you wanted, but it might be useful. (Note: Jarkman, the link in the page still points to Geocities. The sidebar one works normally.)

-Ben.

Jarkman, that guide is awesome. So using this immediately.

Mmm, one thing: Does it occur that there's never any benefit for reading unique books? Maybe books should provide some additional benefit upon reading, like Fibonacci's work does (albeit not on that level, depending.) To elaborate, learning Artes Liberales from him, via teaching or his books and such, gives +1 to Herbam related magic, due to his Golden Mean.

Thanks

Yes.

Currently there is not that degree of granularity or complexity to Ars books. Regardless of the topic or author etc, books only grant XP to Abilities or Arts.

I think Timothy makes a comment about this in the Library section of ArM5 Covenants.

Some unique aspects have crept in but they are rare - the mechanics for the Ars Notoria from the Key of Solomon are an example.

Whether this is desirable given the level of complexity it would add is a YMMV issue.

Given books are such a big part of Hermetic culture I think there would be room to expand on this in more than just a "Pages from the Mages" style article or sourcebook...

Cheers,

Lachie

There are some rules for additional XP and other effects in HOH:TL, in the Bonisagus chapter IIRC. The Hermetic Magic Review term magazines.

Xavi

Any links to online print copies of the work, with or without commentary? After all, the works have been used scholastically for a long time methinks, so there should be a few public domain commentaries out there.

Try here:

isidore-of-seville.com/herodotus/3.html

Cheers,

Lachie

Ah. Thank you.