Hope of Verditius (Development)

Did we ever come to any conclusion to this issue or did it just peter out?

PB hasn't set not to kill it with fire so I'm killing it with fire. Here is what I have now on my draft file.

YOU GET NOTHING!!!

I have revised drafts of Hope and Tia. Hope still needs 100 levels of spells.

Class: Magi
Warping: 0 (2)
Confidence: 2 (5)
Name: Hope (Baptismal)
Traits: Reclusive+1 Dismissive+2 Assertive-2
House: House Verditius
Characteristics: Int +2 Com +3 Per -2 Prs+3 Str -3 Sta+0 Qik+0 Dex+1
Virtues: Verditius Magic, Self-Confident, Personal Vis Source, Good Teacher, Book Learner, Imbued With the Spirit of Vim, Affinity for Magic Theory, Inventive Genius, Flawless Magic

Flaws: Blatant Gift, Weak Spontaneous Magic, Small Frame, Twilight Prone

Abilities: 185xp + Early childhood.+10 from affinity
English 5 Charm 3 Folk Ken 2

Latin 4 (Hermetic Usage) Magic Theory 3 (Items) {15xp}, Craft: Metal 3 (Enchanting), Philosophiae 3 (Enchanting), Artes Liberales 1 (Ritual Magic), Parma 1 (Vim), House Verditius Lore 2 (Self-Initiation) Area Lore: England 2, Etiquette 2 (Hermetic)

Arts: 155xp
Creo: 4 Intellego: 0 Muto: 9 Perdo: 0 Rego: 6
Aq: 6 Au: 0 An: 0 Corpus 9 He: 0 Ig: 0 Im: 0, Me: 0 Te: 4 Vim: 6

Spells:
Aegis of the Hearth-20

Note: At Gauntlet, Muto 6, Aq: 0, Corpus: 0, Philosophiae 2, Craft: Metal 2 This only really matters for the spells she has.

Life Story:
Hope was abandoned to die by her birth parents, only a few months after her birth. Fate intervened and Mary of Verditius rescued Hope, adopting her as her own. Mary was a good mother at first, but as her Hubris grew she became obsessed with status, using Hope more as a piece to show off and treated her less and less like a daughter. Bragging about how perfect Hope's spells were. Casting Aegis of the Hearth without vis. How well behaved she was. On and on.

So Hope cut as much contact as she could as soon as she completed her Gauntlet. Thoroughly unhappy with her mother and her House she moved North to get away from them. She spent most of her time reading and studying arts. Her one bit of excitement so far was finding and binding her Familiar Tia, the Worm. Actually, Tia is probably actually a Serpent, but she calls her a Worm. Besides Tia is the perfect familiar for her. It means Hope doesn't need to tell anyone to bugger off. Another Verditius recently settled in her Covenant and he's particularly obnoxious so she's heading North once more, to the next Tribunal in fact.

Other fluff:
Hope never sells anything she makes. She'll make items for her covenant or friends. She'll also act as an assistant for pay assuming she doesn't have to go into another person's sanctum.

Familiar – Tia The Flesh Worm
Size -3
Might: 5 (Co)
Essential Traits: Parasitic+3
Characteristics: Int+2 Com+3 Prs+3 Per+1 Str-4 Qik+2 Sta +2 Dex+0
Magical Qualities: Lesser Power, Lesser Power Greater Power, Greater Power, Gift of Speech, Minor Virtue5
Magical Inferiorities: Monstrous Appearance, Susceptible to Deprivation, Reduced Might
Virtues: Educated, Arcane Lore
Virtues from Qualities: Improved Characteristics*5
Flaws: Slow Power (Burrow into Flesh), Greedy (Minor)
Abilities: English 5, Area Lore 4 (England), Artes Liberales 2 (Astronomy), Latin 3 (Hermetic Usage), Penetration 4, Finesse 3, Guile 3, Folk Ken 3, Intrigue 3, Charm 3, Carouse 3, Concentration 3, Brawl 3

Wow, I was slacking worse than I thought.

Basically, powers/virtues/flaws from RoP: M are for familiars and magical creatures only. (I thought I had put that on the CharGen wiki page, but missed it; it's on there now).

And that Familiar still creeps me the [color=black].... out every time I think about it...and I'm a big Whovian, so that's really saying something. Don't get rid of her, I like it...but it creeps me out. :smiley:

This is great for Bea! She's a necromancer and isn't the creepiest one here!

:slight_smile: Glad I could help!

Does that mean I should ditch Imbued with the Spirit of Vim too?

Oh side note, Tia is an almost-Grog. First, she has greater power qualities, which could easily be remade using lesser powers instead. She'd end up with lower initiative totals for her powers, but that's it. The bigger issue is the inferiorities. Those are major inferiorities, so she's technically not allowed to have them as a Grog. But they really are needed for the concept. I could also make her a companion pretty easily. Add ten qualities and ten might, but I don't think it would really help fit the Tia vision.

Since they can be on a higher level, that should be OK.

Also, you're missing some Virtues. First there is the free Magic Animal. Then there is the social status bit, also in RoP:M. Finally, True Friend gets thrown in there when the bond is made, and a Loyal (Hope) +3 Personality Trait comes with it.

Similarly, Hope gets the matching Flaw and Personality Trait.

It's the Virtue version of "True Friend" for both Maga and Familiar.

Oops. Hmm... I'm not sure if that's one for the errata or not. The only difference between the three versions is who the True Friend is. For the familiar, it's clearly a PC maga. For the maga, the base description is an extension of the PC maga, which isn't another PC but also isn't exactly an NPC. By power level it's clearly at the Minor Flaw level. Doesn't really matter, though, since they're mechanically identical.

Yes, it's the Minor Virtue True Friend (p. 50)...which technically means the familiar has to be a PC.

I have revised drafts of Hope and Tia. Hope still needs 100 levels of spells. Also she now has the Minor Magical Focus (Dragons) instead of Imbued with the Spirit of Vis. It was chosen with the assumption that Tia counted type of Dragon. Going by RoP: Magic she'd be a worm. If this is all good I can do her fifth year post gauntlet involving the finding/binding of Tia.

Tia has magical friend added and tough added and True Friend added. Hope lacks True friend in this draft because its before the binding of Tia. -

Virtues: Verditius Magic, Self-Confident, Personal Vis Source, Good Teacher, Book Learner, Minor Magical Focus (Dragons), Affinity for Magic Theory, Inventive Genius, Flawless Magic

Flaws: Blatant Gift, Weak Spontaneous Magic, Small Frame, Twilight Prone

Latin 4 (Hermetic Usage) Magic Theory 3 (Items) {15xp}, Craft: Metal 3 (Enchanting), Philosophiae 3 (Enchanting), Artes Liberales 1 (Ritual Magic), Parma 1 (Vim), House Verditius Lore 2 (Self-Initiation) Area Lore: England 2, Etiquette 2 (Hermetic)

Creo: 4 Intellego: 0 Muto: 9 Perdo: 0 Rego: 6
Aq: 6 Au: 0 An: 0 Corpus 9 He: 0 Ig: 0 Im: 0, Me: 0 Te: 4 Vim: 6

Spells:
Aegis of the Hearth-20

Note: At Gauntlet, Muto 6, Aq: 0, Corpus: 0, Philosophiae 2, Craft: Metal 2 This only really matters for the spells she has.

Life Story:
Hope was abandoned to die by her birth parents, only a few months after her birth. Fate intervened and Mary of Verditius rescued Hope, adopting her as her own. Mary was a good mother at first, but as her Hubris grew she became obsessed with status, using Hope more as a piece to show off and treated her less and less like a daughter. Bragging about how perfect Hope's spells were. How well behaved she was. On and on.

So Hope cut as much contact as she could as soon as she completed her Gauntlet. Thoroughly unhappy with her mother and her House she moved North to get away from them. She spent most of her time reading and studying arts. Her one bit of excitement so far was finding and binding her Familiar Tia, the Worm. Actually, Tia is probably actually a Serpent, but she calls her a Worm. Besides Tia is the perfect familiar for her. It means Hope doesn't need to tell anyone to bugger off. Another Verditius recently settled in her Covenant and he's particularly obnoxious so she's heading North once more, to the next Tribunal in fact.

Other fluff:
Hope never sells anything she makes. She'll make items for her covenant or friends. She'll also act as an assistant for pay assuming she doesn't have to go into another person's sanctum.

Familiar – Tia The Flesh Worm
Size -3
Might: 5 (Co)
Essential Traits: Parasitic+3
Characteristics: Int+2 Com+3 Prs+3 Per+1 Str-4 Qik+2 Sta +2 Dex+0
Magical Qualities: Lesser Power, Lesser Power Greater Power, Greater Power, Gift of Speech, Minor Virtue5
Magical Inferiorities: Monstrous Appearance, Susceptible to Deprivation, Reduced Might
Virtues: Educated, Arcane Lore, Tough, True Friend
Virtues from Qualities: Improved Characteristics*5
Flaws: Slow Power (Burrow into Flesh), Greedy (Minor), Magical Friend
Abilities: English 5, Area Lore 4 (England), Artes Liberales 2 (Astronomy), Latin 3 (Hermetic Usage), Penetration 4, Finesse 3, Guile 3, Folk Ken 3, Intrigue 3, Charm 3, Carouse 3, Concentration 3, Brawl 3

Some things are definitely off. I haven't gone through to add everything up, just a quick spot-check.

1. Muto 6 -> 9 [45-21=24]
    Aquam 0 -> 6 [21-0=21]
    Corpus 0 -> 9 [45-0=45]
    Craft: Metal 2 -> 3 [30-15=15]
    Philosophiae 2 -> 3 [30-15=15]

That's a total of 120, so 4 years after gauntlet. That leaves no seasons left to find and bind a familiar.

1. I'm not so sure about Craft: Metal. Working with iron is drastically different than working with gold, for instance. "Metal" seems a lot broader than anything suggested by the rules that I remember seeing.

2. You wrote "+10 from affinity" which would clearly refer to Affinity for Magic Theory. But this doesn't match up with what is listed below at all. You have "Magic Theory 3 (Items) {15xp}" written afterward. Presumably that would be 15 experience beyond level 3. That means you put in 30 experience and got a bonus 15, not a bonus 10.

3. I'm surprised not to see Covenant Upbringing with that background story. It's not necessary, though.

1. That's supposed to be the case.
  1. Yeah, maybe Smithing? Or Blacksmithing? I was hoping to work with iron, copper etc.
  2. Oh hey 5 free xp!
  3. I'm thinking of switching out small-frame for something.

Is House Verditius Lore the same as Verditius Cult Lore (HoH: MC, p. 117)?

I'm getting 173 xp on her Arts.

Oh, and Tia doesn't feel very dragon-y to me. I'm willing to be shown otherwise, though.

If House Verditius Lore is indeed meant to be Verditius Cult Lore, then this ability is not "usually" taught during apprenticeship. See the inset on the same page Peregrine_Bjornaer referenced. Did you allocate the xp for this ability from the post-gauntlet bin?

Also, in the spirit of pre-hubris-dominated interactions with fellow Verditii, Laerleggr will be happy to train Hope in what Verditius Cult Lore he knows, if his score ends up being higher. In exchange for ... something.

Yup!

I need to double check all the math anyway.

I think I should change the focus to parasites, but I designed her in mind with dragon section from RoP:Magic in mind. Specifically the bit on Worms/Drakes.

Alright let's get this character finished up.

Virtues: Verditius Magic, Relic, Personal Vis Source, Good Teacher, Book Learner, Minor Magical Focus (Parasites), Affinity for Magic Theory, Inventive Genius, Flawless Magic
Personal Vis Source: Hope coughs up a silvery blood like substance on a semi-regular basis. This is vim vis.
Flaws: Blatant Gift, Chaotic Magic, Covenant Upbringing, Twilight Prone

Latin 4 (Hermetic Usage) Magic Theory 3 (Items) , Craft: Smithing 3 (Enchanting), Philosophiae 3 (Enchanting), Artes Liberales 1 (Ritual Magic), Parma 1 (Vim), House Verditius Lore 2 (Self-Initiation) Area Lore: England 2, Etiquette 2 (Hermetic)

Creo: 4 Intellego: 0 Muto: 9 Perdo: 0 Rego: 5
Aq: 5 Au: 0 An: 0 Corpus 9 He: 0 Ig: 0 Im: 0, Me: 0 Te: 4 Vim: 5

Spells:
Aegis of the Hearth-20 ReVi
Wizard's Communion - 20 MuVi
Pit of the Gaping Earth - 15 PeTe
Wizard's Sidestep - ReIm - 10
Aura of Ennobled Presence - MuIm - 10
Piercing Shaft of Wood - MeHe(Re) - 10
Demon's Eternal Oblivion PeVi - 5
Wound that Weeps PeCo - 15
Disguise of the New Visage MuCo - 15

Life Story:
Hope was abandoned to die by her birth parents, only a few months after her birth. Fate intervened and Mary of Verditius rescued Hope, adopting her as her own. Mary was a good mother at first, but as her Hubris grew she became obsessed with status, using Hope more as a piece to show off and treated her less and less like a daughter. Bragging about how perfect Hope's spells were. How well behaved she was. On and on.

Other fluff:

Year Five:
Season 1:Adventure-Find Tia
Season 2: Bind Tia MuCo - 32 Total 9+9+9+3+2
Season 3: Enchant Bond with Burrow into Flesh
Season 4: Wand of Iron Clay

Year 6: 30xp Craft: Cooking

Alright the character should be ready for play. Chaotic Magic swapped from Weak Spon. Covenant Upbringing swapped from Small Frame. Relic swapped from Self-Confident. I see where I went wrong with the arts: I was counting level 6 arts as 15xp. Reduced it to five. The focus swapped to Parasites.

And added the spells from gauntlet. I assumed that Inventive Genius adds three to the max level of spell one can learn.

IS that true? If so, I'll have to take a look through my starting spells again, just in case.

That's how I interpret it. The formula given for the max level of spell you can learn at character generation is the same as the lab total for inventing a spell, with the default pre-play aura of 3. So it stands to reason that Inventive Genius would factor in. As would Magical Focus, Creative Block, Deficient Technique or Form, and any other Virtue or Flaw that affects your Lab Total when inventing a spell.

I should update the House Rules page with that, huh?