How often is misreading of Latin a plot point?

A while back I asked a question about an ambigous Latin phrase, hoping to use it as a plot point.

Now I read an article on Saint Ursula, and the section on misreading of Latin, makes me realise this is probably a lot more common than I thought.

Has anyone else used ambiguous Latin readings?
Is there a target number to realise all the possible misreadings?

All of them? I mean I was born into an English speaking country, raised on just English and one of my college degrees is in English and I couldn't tell you every way someone might misread or misunderstand something in English. Between speed reading for the wrong meaning, transpositioning letters, ambiguous and varied meanings of the same word, and then toss in linguistic drift over time... There might be rules about being uncertain about a reading if you miss by one or realizing a few of the more common ways it might be misread if you make a really good roll, but I doubt anyone will ever know all the ways anything can be misread.

1 Like

Have a look at sub rosa #22 p.73f The Second Exam of Milonino: Milonino quotes a law there without taking account of its social context.

1 Like