How work life linked spontaneous magic

Can someone give me an example with a level 40 spontaneous spell.
I roll a zero but no botch.
So my casting total is 12.

And i have life linked spontaneous.

What does happen?

Well first, if you're not using the virtue (you don't have to) you fail and loose your fatigue so no big deal.

If you are using the virtue "you must expend one additional fatigue level per five points (or fraction thereof) by which you missed the target level." p.45

The level of spell that you produced was 6 (casting total/2), the level of spell you wanted was 40, so you missed it by 44 levels , that means that you loose 9 additional fatigue levels.

Of course you don't have 9 additional fatigue levels, you have 4 (you lost one for using fatiguing spontaneous magic).

So now you are unconscious and you take a wound. Your 4 levels of fatigue were worth 20 points so you've got 24 levels left to cover.

"The number of levels still needed for the spell is treated as the amount by which damage exceeded your soak"

the wound acts as if you took damage that exceeded your soak by 24 points that's death if you're not size +1 or better (p. 179).

So you get the spell off but you die

If you chose to use a confidence point then the damage would only be 21 points, let's see. nope still dead, but if you were self confident you'd have been able to keep yourself at incapacitated by using 2 confidence points.

I get your idea.
Two remarks:

1. I miss the spell only by 34 no? It means i miss by 7 not 9.
    But, i get the idea: i cover 20 levels from fatigue, then 14 = wounds => heavy wound.

2. "The number of levels still needed for the spell is treated as the amount by which damage exceeded your soak"
    Here, it was wat i didnt well understand before, because, in the text it's just under this:
    "you must expend one additional fatigue level per five points (or fraction thereof) by which you missed the target level."

I thought: i needed 7 levels fatigue. Then, i have 4 "normal fatigue". 3 more, so, I take 3 damages, = a light wound.

But i was quite uncertain with that, so i asked here ^^. And I see I was wrong :smiley:

To cast a level 40 spell you need to have an eighty casting total (see p.81). Your casting total was 12 which would net you a level 6 spell ergo you missed the spell level by 34... Oops!

yes you're completely right.

:blush: